Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
yankeefan4ever
AF Newbie

Low Coolant and Overheat but no leaks.

I just bought a used 2002 Ram 1500 w/ 4.7L v8 engine. Only been driving it for 3-4 weeks and the coolant was topped off when I picked it up. Last week my "check gauge" light came on because it was overheating. When I got home and checked, the coolant was really low. I haven't seen any puddles or noticed any leaks since I've had it. I put in a whole gallon of 50/50 mix (it's all I had at home) and it was still low. It's at the shop right now and mechanic said he topped it off, put pressure on it and can't find a coolant leak? A quick online search brings back results that scare me...head gasket. I mentioned the head gasket to mech and he said it would be smoking badly out the exhaust and the oil would show signs which he said were not happening. I only have a week left on 30 day warranty so I need to confirm a head gasket problem sooner rather than later, what should I be asking mech to check, what should I look for myself when I check out the truck tomorrow at the shop? Is there any way to confirm head gasket problem without taking the entire engine apart??? Please help.
yankeefan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: Low Coolant and Overheat but no leaks.

I put a big piece of cardboard under the engine of my '97 Bravada and started & brought the engine up to normal operating temperatures then shut it off and found some antifreeze leaking from the rear area of the engine...leaky intake manifold gasket.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

take it back to the place with the warranty ASAP!
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
scjibberjaws49
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan4ever View Post
I just bought a used 2002 Ram 1500 w/ 4.7L v8 engine. Only been driving it for 3-4 weeks and the coolant was topped off when I picked it up. Last week my "check gauge" light came on because it was overheating. When I got home and checked, the coolant was really low. I haven't seen any puddles or noticed any leaks since I've had it. I put in a whole gallon of 50/50 mix (it's all I had at home) and it was still low. It's at the shop right now and mechanic said he topped it off, put pressure on it and can't find a coolant leak? A quick online search brings back results that scare me...head gasket. I mentioned the head gasket to mech and he said it would be smoking badly out the exhaust and the oil would show signs which he said were not happening. I only have a week left on 30 day warranty so I need to confirm a head gasket problem sooner rather than later, what should I be asking mech to check, what should I look for myself when I check out the truck tomorrow at the shop? Is there any way to confirm head gasket problem without taking the entire engine apart??? Please help.

take each spark plug out one at a time and see if any of them are wet with antifreeze/coolant ! if so then the head gasket is bad on that cylinder, turn engine with plugs out see if anything blows out of any cylinder, let set for an hour or so and turn engine again see if anything blows out of any of the spark plug holes ! best to check compression on each cylinder if you have a compression gauge !! if compression is very low on one cylinder there is your problem. ( head gasket ) Danny
scjibberjaws49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Change your oil, and have an oil analysis done...I use Blackstone Labs. They'll tell you if you have coolant in your oil. 1 week might not be enough time to get the test kit, send it in and have it done, but you can change the oil right away and save a small sample (in a pill bottle or something, they only need 3 oz I think) and send it in when they send you your sample kit. They're pretty quick on response, usually within 2-3 days, and they can send the results by email.

Also, check the inside of your tailpipe, if you're leaking coolant it may be wet and smell slightly of coolant.

In any event, take it back to where you have the warranty right away - make sure they know about the issue and make sure that it is well documented... DON'T let them work on it without making a computer note or noting the problem on some paperwork which you have one copy of. Tell them you've sent for an oil analysis and will share the results when it comes in.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10