Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #31
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jorgeandonie
Re: Best car for the $$$?

so are you aying you have a evo??
and one thing is i dont wanna pay high insurance rates.....
i wan to keep them as low as possible, and have a fast car at the same time... i dont have too much time and experience to mod a car either, and i dont want to void the waranty on the car, so i rather just keep it stock...
jorgeandonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #32
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

Rx-8!!
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

So how much cash do you have on hand? At 19 with a fast car that is financed, you will not get around high insurance rates. I am 23 right now, and am stilling looking for the perfect car for me. An 06 GTO with the LS2 engine in it was still going to cost me about $230 a month in insurance through progressive(that would be liability, comprehensive, collision, wouldn't need PIP or loan pay off or any other the other things since I would be buying with cash). And that is with an excellent credit score for my age (690 when I checked in October, I think it may be up to 700 now which is a discount point for a lot of insurers).

Really, what I would suggest, as I said before, is to save up for the time being and in 2 years time get your dream car. You could get something affordable but fun in the meantime, maybe something like a Pontiac GTP

Also, to consider is the cost of money. On a $30,000 loan over 5 years, that would be $566/month at 5%, or $615/month at 8.5%. Over the life of the loan, that would be an extra $3000 you would be paying. I have heard of some people paying up to 12% if they have poor credit which makes a whopping $667/month or $6,000 more through the life of the loan.
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #34
Chad82
AF Regular

BTW, I am not really trying to disuade you from buying a new car, but just think about long term ramifactions before doing so.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #35
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

i have about 3 grand in hand, but wouldnt the insurance of an evo or a srt-4 be lower than the rest of the car? also, i would prolly keep this car till i turn 25 then get something alittle faster, how is mustang insurance?? like an 05-06 GT, how about a 3000GT VR4 like a mid 90's, and not the more expensive insurance on of the cheaper covages...
thanks alot guys
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #36
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to deadbolt_35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeandonie
so are you aying you have a evo??
no, but i've ridden in them. like i said i've never tried to take one on a road trip, but it's not hard to imagine that it wouldn't be very pleasant.

i just did a quick run-down at progressive.com on an '05 mustang gt. looks like insurance would be between like $300-$450 a month depending on how much coverage you want

Here's a geography lesson: I live in Ely, Nevada. No, that's not by Vegas, it's not hot like Vegas, it's not a desert wasteland like Vegas. I live at 6500 ft. I'm surrounded by mountains. It's really cold in the winter, and never gets above 100 in the summer.
deadbolt_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #37
Chad82
AF Regular

Full coverage on an evo for me would be $332.50 a month through progressive. Full coverage on a mustang GT would be $285.50 a month for me. Based on your age (and most likely your credit as well since you realistically could only have started credit 1 year ago) your insurance will likely be even higher.

If you want a car that is prone to be in wrecks (due to the type of people that want to buy it) it will be more. If you want a car that gets stolen often, it will be more.

Now, things that push it down include driving record (at 19 you would need your record to be perfect. Not a single ticket.) In many states your record refreshes after 3 years, in some it is 5 years, though. If you live in an unincorporated township, it will be lower (I haven't seen any difference between a city of 2000 people and a city of 500,000 people). That is a big difference (my insurance basically doubled when I moved). If you have taken a drivers safety course, it can lower for some insurance providers (though it isn't too substantial). If you have your insurance through your home/rent insurance provider that can lower it from substantially to barely nothing. If you are married that will lower it substantially. If you are under your parent's insurance that can lower it a fair amount. If you have good credit that can lower it. If you are former military that can lowr it. However none of these will change the fact that you are a 19 year old male wanting to finance a fast and (more often than not looking at your choices) a highly stolen car. You will pay through the nose for insurance.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #38
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

damn, how bad would it be for a older car like a 92 350z, or a vr4 or even a supra....
Old 01-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #39
Chad82
AF Regular

Would you be getting full coverage on them or just liability? I ran a 300ZX a while back and with full coverage (on the twin turbo, btw) it was a little over $230 a month for me I believe, and about 110 for liability only.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #40
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

liability
Old 01-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #41
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

man i just saw a couple of saleens, they were nice, orange/black, and a convertible on too, i saw some mach 1... will this be the same as a regular mustang, and also this ia very cool tool http://www.ponybuilder.com/MustangGT_coupe.html
Old 01-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #42
jorgeandonie
AF Newbie

where do you guys get the insurance rates from cause i need to see how much all these cars would be..
Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #43
Chad82
AF Regular

progressive.com
geico.com

those are the two easiest to use IMO.

To give you some suggestions:

Liability-- I do 100/300 split. That is $100,000/person $300,000/accident.
PIP - Decline if you have insurance. Only time it helps is if you are at fault in an accident and have no insurance.
Underinsured -- Depends on how you drive. I drive by myself most of the time, and have my own health insurance. You will want to carry underinsured property though, so if someone gets you you are still covered.
Collission -- Tends to be very expensive on young people, but if you are financing you need it.
Comprehensive -- Varies greatly by car, but if you are financing you need it.
Loan/Lease payoff -- Only time you want this is if you get upside down on the loan (i.e. you owe more than the car is worth).
Roadside assistance -- Decline
Rental Reimbursement -- Decline

Think that about covers it.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #44
SuperHighOutput
AF Enthusiast

Out of the list I'd go with the Mustang GT. I love the looks, the performance is good, and it's much nicer than previous models. I'd also consider an LS1 Camaro or Trans Am.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #45
silentbeatdown
AF Newbie

ok, since your are a 19 year old male you are high risk it sucks but its how things are you should stop trying to go for such high risk cars most of them have a lot more power then you will need. a while back i bought a crx hx hardly any horsepower but it was so much fun and low low rates because it was fuel efficient. so go for a more reasonable car that you can still have fun with.
silentbeatdown is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A