Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
TheFuzzyBear
AF Newbie

Unhappy Are these tires ANY GOOD ?

Hi folks,

Today I went to replace my 4 tires on my 1991 Mercedes 190-E 2.3 Manual today. I figured I'd try Sams. I gave Sams the specs for my car P185/65/R15/86H and the only tires they had at all in stock were 4 Goodyear Eagle GP-H tires. Now mind you, before I went to Sams a did a bit of research. But that model never came up. But, I really, really needed some new tires (badly worn on the insides of the tire - bad alignment) - anyhow, my question to this forum is this:

Are these tires an old model of Goodyear's which they do not sell anymore ? I went to Goodyear's website and could not find it anywhere which makes me wonder. Also, anyone had an experiences with these tires ?

Looking for reassurances...

or confirmation of my hunch...

Thanks

Christopher
TheFuzzyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
bigjayzway
AF Newbie

Thumbs down These tires

Those tires are only good if you don't drive in the rain! If you like to drive in all conditions, then I would strongly advise you to seek other tires. Not only do they have terrible traction, the smallest puddle will make you hydroplane.
Jay
bigjayzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Are these tires ANY GOOD ?

To try to answer your question:

It is common practice to have different tires for different outlets. This makes it difficult to do comparisons. (BTW it's the retailers who want this, not the manufacturers!)
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

that is not a very good tire.

Pirelli offers 3 different very good tires (P400, P6000, and P6) in your size and Yokohama also offers a very good one (Avid H4). I would purchase these tires online and have them mounted by a local INDEPENDENT tire shop. This is usually the best route when you have an odd tire size.

the tires are available at www.victoriatire.com and www.tirerack.com
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
llJDM MugenBAll
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to llJDM MugenBAll

I work at Sears Automotive and i think those tires are discontinued due to a recall.

According to my search on sears.com, you have a choice of a couple of tires to choose from: yokohama, sumitomo, goodyear, michelin and dunlop. Now if i were you i would go with the Dunlop SP Sport A2 - P185/65R15 86H. They are $82.99 a tire and are the perfect tire for traction. They are rated AA for traction and have a 130mph max speed. The tread depth is only 10/32 in. deep, but you dont have to worry about that because they provide a treadwear grade of 420, which is really good; 4 times the amount goverened by the US government. That is just my opinion. Its more cheaper than getting my Yokohama ES100 225/45/16 for $150 a piece, lol.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels