Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 09:09 PM   #16
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by greekman
but if i'm driving in a snow storm up rabbit ears pass (by steamboat springs, colorado) i sure as hell would take my dads dakota (4wd) over any awd car
If it's a dirt trail I would have to agree with ya, but on a paved road I'll take the AWD car. The quattos and AWD cars usually have about an extra 1/2" ride height. Anyway it's all just opinion.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:19 PM   #17
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
A Chevy Blazer might be what shes looking for. They look reasonablly good, have decent power and aren't too expensive.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 11-09-2001, 09:29 AM   #18
Mrcoilover
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by YogsVR4
A Chevy Blazer might be what shes looking for. They look reasonablly good, have decent power and aren't too expensive.
Make that a Trailblazer. Blazers suck.
Tein type NA (1.7)
Nokya Arctic purple headlight bulbs
Rims coming soon...

"I always ride dropped, how bout you?":finger4:
Mrcoilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:52 AM   #19
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrcoilover

Make that a Trailblazer. Blazers suck.
Sounds ok by me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 11-10-2001, 03:38 PM   #20
verboom
AF Regular

Look, don't tell me not to disrespect other members. There is a few people I really respect here, and they have earned my respect. Others, who preach about how good SUV's are, do not deserve my respect. The fact remains that to be the safest in a snowstorm, get something with the minimum amount of ground clearance you can, and this is more than likely going to be an AWD car, if you stay on the road.
verboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 03:44 PM   #21
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by verboom
Look, don't tell me not to disrespect other members. There is a few people I really respect here, and they have earned my respect. Others, who preach about how good SUV's are, do not deserve my respect.
Disagreement is fine. Disrespect is not.
Quote:
From AF Guidelines
DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER
Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 11:26 AM   #22
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
I would buy a car, a 4wd car if necessary. Otherwise, Grand Cherokee (with out the up country package.) Or a Trail Blazer/ GMC Envoy.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:40 PM   #23
greekman
AF Enthusiast

i'm still trying to get her into a car. i agree w/ most of you guys in that suvs are over-rated. she wanted one initially so i proposed the question. if she was to get a suv-i'm recommending the trailblazer or 4runner. the 4runner is way underpowered though.

i'd rather see her get a car. right now i've recommended-
audi a4 quattro: new body style, probably get the 2.0 engine
bmw 325xi: i don't know too much about this model, just the bmw reputation
subaru wrx: she doesn't know about these, but i'd like to see her get one b/c of the subaru awd reputation. also these have nice power.

of the 3- she would probably get the audi. i would probably recommend the audi of the 3 anyway. the only hold-up is the wrx is about $5k less than the other 2 so that might steer her decision.

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you taste. So go out and get your bread!
greekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 01:42 PM   #24
greekman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Look, don't tell me not to disrespect other members. There is a few people I really respect here, and they have earned my respect. Others, who preach about how good SUV's are, do not deserve my respect. The fact remains that to be the safest in a snowstorm, get something with the minimum amount of ground clearance you can, and this is more than likely going to be an AWD car, if you stay on the road.
i don't mind the opinion and like i wrote earlier-i agree with you that suvs are way over-rated in all aspects. i never preached about suv greatness, i just posed the question. i'd rather she get a car anyway. jay was just doing his job so don't get mad at him. i'm not going to act like some internet toughguy, but i do agree that calling me a retard was inappropriate. i don't mind disagreement, but name calling is just childish. bottom line-i'm cool with you, i don't have any qualms against you, i just felt the name calling was inappropriate.

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you taste. So go out and get your bread!
greekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:22 PM   #25
Steel
AF Fanatic

SUV's suck, trust me, i have one. They ARE a stauts symbol, but a waste of gas. WTF does one need a 4 liter v6 or larger engine to transport 1 kid and his soccer ball around? The 4wd models suck up so much gas, it Isnt even funny, and stopping those monsters is a bitch and a hlaf, especially in the snow. I would take the advice of going with an AWD car.

i have a 93 pathfinder btw, and these beasts are just hard to control on normal days, when the weather gets bad, i dont even notice when i spin the tires anymore in the rain. It's horrid. Get a car, in all seriousness. Its kinda funny that right when the time that all the experts warn us that we're aobut to run out of gas, people start buying up gas guzzling SUV's. It's dumb really.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:19 PM   #26
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I hate SUV's prob more than any1 i know but the questioned asked was not which is better awd cars or SUV's but what we think are good SUV's so let's try to help out. I have never owned an SUV but I have driven 5 types and i think they cover a broad range. 96' Explorer,Isuzu Rodeo, 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee, 99' Isuzu Rodeo.

Prob the one's I liked the least were the 2 Isuzu's mostly because I hate the tippy feeling SUV's have and the 2 felt the most scary when taking any type of turn. But they were good in the snow but when u got on the highway they felt like they didn't have enough power to get out of thier own way.
The Explorer was very nice inside didn't have much of that tippy feeling as far as SUV's go and had enough power for the size of the car but in the snow the Explorer's 4-wheel drive is very sketchy.
The Jeep I feel is the best SUV i have driven it had a 5.2 liter engine that makes this massive car do a 15 sec 1/4 mile plenty of power for gettin onto those jammed highways. Also this is those most sure footed thing in the snow you will ever drive. You can floor it up a steep as hill covered in snow and it will go completely straight no problems. Also for a big vehicle and has barely any of that SUV tippy feeling.

I have been in AWD cars in the snow and the are fine but if I lived in Colorado those AWD cars cannot handle what the Jeep will. Also AWD have higher clearance than regular cars but in a place that it can snow a foot in a 1/2 hour you gonna wish you had that SUV that sits a 11/2' of ground clearance.
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:21 PM   #27
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
I hate SUV's prob more than any1 i know but the questioned asked was not which is better awd cars or SUV's but what we think are good SUV's so let's try to help out. I have never owned an SUV but I have driven 5 types and i think they cover a broad range. 96' Explorer,Isuzu Rodeo, 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee, 99' Isuzu Rodeo.

Prob the one's I liked the least were the 2 Isuzu's mostly because I hate the tippy feeling SUV's have and the 2 felt the most scary when taking any type of turn. But they were good in the snow but when u got on the highway they felt like they didn't have enough power to get out of thier own way.
The Explorer was very nice inside didn't have much of that tippy feeling as far as SUV's go and had enough power for the size of the car but in the snow the Explorer's 4-wheel drive is very sketchy.
The Jeep I feel is the best SUV i have driven it had a 5.2 liter engine that makes this massive car do a 15 sec 1/4 mile plenty of power for gettin onto those jammed highways. Also this is those most sure footed thing in the snow you will ever drive. You can floor it up a steep as hill covered in snow and it will go completely straight no problems. Also for a big vehicle and has barely any of that SUV tippy feeling.

I have been in AWD cars in the snow and the are fine but if I lived in Colorado those AWD cars cannot handle what the Jeep will. Also AWD have higher clearance than regular cars but in a place that it can snow a foot in a 1/2 hour you gonna wish you had that SUV that sits a 11/2' of ground clearance. Also some of you guys who cry bout SUV's gas guzzling are the same guys like me who drive Supercharged 12sec 1/4 mile cars on the street, aren't we just as bad?
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #28
Sentra Styling
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sentra Styling
Quote:
HELLOOOOOOOOO RETARD! G-Forces is completly right. SUVs are not safe, by any stretch of the imagination. Get a AWD car, and you'll be better off in any situation on roads. Lower center of gravity, lighter (less momentum, easier to stop and turn) smaller fuel bills, better performance year round, I could go on forever. Society has to get it through their heads that SUVs are not safe.
m sorry to say but my girl owns a 98 Isuzu Amigo and That thing has a better turning radius than my car does........and it also gets better gas mileage than my car as well......
All SR20DE powered...
Sentra Styling is offline   Reply With Quote