Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Traffic Violations - U.S. only Discuss anything conerning speeding tickets and other traffic violations in the US.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Driving on suspended license and too fast for conditions...

I was driving to work the other day, when apparently at some point I passed a sheriff's deputy. There was a huge line of cars going about 30 in the 55 because of light blowing snow... none sticking to the road. So I slowly pass the line of cars going about 45. The guy pulls me over about a mile or two later and comes up to my car just screaming at me for 5 minutes (I'm thinking about filing a complaint about that part). It was kinda hard not to start laughing, I've never seen the movie, but it reminded me of the previews I saw for "Super Troopers". I wanted so bad to say something about the old man driving so slow at the front of the line (him), but thought better or it.

So anyway, after he runs out of stuff to yell, he asks for my license/registration/insurance. Turns out my license expired in October '09 (oops ) I kept telling him I wasn't going that fast and I had good control and the roads weren't even slick. So he gave me a warning there. For future reference, does anyone know what counts as "too fast for conditions"? I think he was going way too slow and was pissed that someone had the nerve to pass him; it was unmarked and/or covered in snow, I would have got back in line if I'd known. I had no idea I'd passed a cop

I was going to just pay the ticket, which is $200 with the fines, etc.. But today I noticed the cop wrote "4dr white 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier" under vehicle description. My car is a 2 door. Someone I know told me that if the vehicle info is wrong then you're off the hook, it actually worked for this person, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was. The thing is, if I go to court I'll loose as much or more money from missing work as I'd pay for the ticket (I work on commission, could be more, could be less). So I'd like to be sure this is correct before I do it. I think it's ridiculous that the ticket's that much, more of a to the state of Iowa than about the money.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Driving on suspended license and too fast for conditions...

Couple questions first....you said he just gave you a warning, but also that you'd considered just paying the $200 ticket. Which is it, a ticket or a warning? (In VA, a warning is a warning with no financial penalty). Oh, wait, expired license....just pay that one I think.

"Too fast for conditions". It's very subjective and is based on the officer's experience and judgement. I'm thinking that although the portion of road where you passed him was not slippery, he'd seen other parts that were so made the [more safety oriented, that's his job] judgement that the entire road was slippery?
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Treat the police with respect and give them no-reason to pull you, they are the judge on the road.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan View Post
Couple questions first....you said he just gave you a warning, but also that you'd considered just paying the $200 ticket. Which is it, a ticket or a warning? (In VA, a warning is a warning with no financial penalty). Oh, wait, expired license....just pay that one I think.

...he'd seen other parts that were so made the [more safety oriented, that's his job] judgement that the entire road was slippery?
Sorry, to clarify: He gave me a warning for the "too fast for conditions". After I explained/argued that I didn't feel that I was going too fast, he said that he was just going to give me a warning... then I gave him my license. They always check for warrants, etc. I've driven the exact same route a minimum of 2 times a day for 5 days a week for 5 years just going to work. Going out on the weekends adds a few more every week. I know the road and where drifts/ice form. There just wasn't enough snow or wind (and it was bitter cold). I think once he realized that I wasn't just some idiot that was running late to work he softened up a bit. I had driven 12 of 17 miles already, there were no slick spots and no upcoming "threats" that should be slick... hills that cause drifts and the resulting glaze of ice from exhaust systems melting a bit of snow, etc.. But he didn't know that until I explained it.

When I gave him my license he saw it was expired and the ticket I got was for that. Up until this year, I have checked my licence on my birthday every year. It figures the one time I don't is when it's expires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Treat the police with respect and give them no-reason to pull you, they are the judge on the road.
I didn't do anything to disrespect him... it was hard not to laugh the way he started out, but I didn't. He gave me a warning after I argued with him, he wouldn't have done that if I had disrespected him. Respect and "rolling over" are two different things. They are not the judge... anywhere... period. That's how it's supposed to be, that's why we have real judges.

"Too fast for conditions" is a bunch of BS. It's his opinion vs. mine, although the courts usually side with the cop whether or not there is actual "evidence". Some guy with bald tires, no experience with controlling a skid, loose steering components/screwed up alignment and a half iced up windshield can drive 30 MPH. A guy with 10/32" of tread on some of the best snow tires made, lots of experience controlling skids (primarily from drifting and donuts), a car in perfect condition and cleared entirely of snow and ice can drive the same 30 MPH.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

I'm glad that he was reasonable enough to discuss the conditions with you...after seeing that you were experienced in the conditions and it was safe for YOU, he let you go. But you know, most of the idiots out there couldn't handle it, so 15mph would have been right for them.....

Get your license renewed, you criminal!!
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
mustanger999
AF Newbie

About the doors. That's the judges call. You might get off the hook for the cops inattentiveness, and, you might not. It's quite possible for speeding, but I don't know about expired license. Good luck!
mustanger999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan View Post
I'm glad that he was reasonable enough to discuss the conditions with you...after seeing that you were experienced in the conditions and it was safe for YOU, he let you go. But you know, most of the idiots out there couldn't handle it, so 15mph would have been right for them.....

Get your license renewed, you criminal!!
Yeah, I was happy, I thought he was gonna get me for everything he could the way it started out "Bob and Tom" joke about it, but I think we need different colored license plates for different drivers... let most people drive no faster than 30 MPH all the time, and let others drive as fast as they feel like . I renewed it later that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanger999 View Post
About the doors. That's the judges call. You might get off the hook for the cops inattentiveness, and, you might not. It's quite possible for speeding, but I don't know about expired license. Good luck!
I wasn't sure about that... I know if it was a vehicle/traffic violation I could most likely get off... as simple as "This car doesn't exist, I clearly wasn't driving it" I think I'm just gonna pay it, I'm guilty, no doubt about it... just wasn't sure about that technicality.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only