Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only
Traffic Violations - U.S. only Discuss anything conerning speeding tickets and other traffic violations in the US.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
High
AF Newbie

Unhappy Almost cross a school bus with stop arm out. Stop right next to the Bus Driver seat

Hi, Today I was practicing driving alone due to the one with license at my house was gone. I was driving around 30 speed as that was what I was told to do. I was driving and I was paying attention to the front of the road but somehow I didn't realize that there was a bus that just stop and about to unload kids. When i realize that I gotta cross it, I try to stop. The car come to a complete stop and i was like right next to the Bus driver. She yell at me and all i can do was say I so sorry. After she pull her head inside, I just slowly drive away (which may be a stupid ). I look around in the internet but couldn't find any answer or explanation to my situation. I think I in Big trouble and also I still a highschool senior.
High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Almost cross a school bus with stop arm out. Stop right next to the Bus Driver seat

School buses have a lot of extra authority on the road. When that stop sign swings out, shit gets real. You go past, the driver is trained to take down your licence plate number and turn it in to the authorities resulting in a summons arriving in the mail or even right at your front door. There are occasions where that doesn't happen, so you better fucking pray that this is one of those occasions. This is more than a than a civil traffic violation, this is a misdemeanor if I understand you correctly. If the violation goes on record and you don't respond your licence (assuming you do have a licence and you weren't driving on a permit unsupervised in which case you are in a much deeper heap of shit) could wind up suspended. My suggestion; go to the DMV, tell them what happened, and have them check the records for any violations against you. If there is anything, take care of it ASAP.
Future advice on school buses, don't try to get around them in low speed rural areas. Their stops aren't exactly predictable. Just follow at a safe distance, when the yellow lights start flashing, slow down, and when the reds start flashing stop. Also when you see one oncoming, no matter what it's doing, slow down and keep an eye open for those lights and be prepare to stop.
If you did this on a learners permit; don't go to the DMV. Don't do anything, say nothing to no one unless a summons arrives. If the summons comes, be honest with the authorities and they're more likely to take it easy on you.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
liya_leacree
AF Regular

Wink Re: Almost cross a school bus with stop arm out. Stop right next to the Bus Driver seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by High View Post
Hi, Today I was practicing driving alone due to the one with license at my house was gone. I was driving around 30 speed as that was what I was told to do. I was driving and I was paying attention to the front of the road but somehow I didn't realize that there was a bus that just stop and about to unload kids. When i realize that I gotta cross it, I try to stop. The car come to a complete stop and i was like right next to the Bus driver. She yell at me and all i can do was say I so sorry. After she pull her head inside, I just slowly drive away (which may be a stupid ). I look around in the internet but couldn't find any answer or explanation to my situation. I think I in Big trouble and also I still a highschool senior.
It doesn't matter, every fresh driver has to meet those conditions. When you drive more, your experience will increase. Now, for you, just driving slow is ok. Come on!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only