Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > What do you want to know?
What do you want to know? Staff writers check this area regurarly for future article topics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
warlock40
AF Newbie

Welding 101 needed.

Heres my need.

I have a pontiac Montana van 1999.

at the side rails where you'd normally but the back lift arm its rusting all to hell. I have to attack the rusties this summer. (its mostly body at this point not the frame of supporting system.. cosmetic)

I don't diddley about welding.

I know there is a lot of skill required but I need to start somewhere and I'm guessing the equipment would be a good place as any.

So over the next few months I want to do some body work on that part of the van and I imagine the exhaust.

What equipment should I be looking at to do this kind of work.

Thanks
warlock40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
warlock40
AF Newbie

Re: Welding 101 needed.

The rust was right through the metal.
Its the back of the rocker panel near the wheel well.
Its was (to my knowledge) the rear lift point on the vehicle.
Don't know why its rusted so bad.

I've purchased a gas mig to do the job.

I totally procrastonated and haven't done it. Will start as soon as the temps warm up closer to spring.

I started another thread on the job somewhere on this board and another member here had been working out the same thing.

I am a little fuzzy on the appropriate cutting / grinding tools. I don't have any air tools and I'm going to have to cut back some of the area to rebuild.

I had a hard time finding rocker panels for a 99 montana.. but eventially did locally.
warlock40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Articles > What do you want to know?