Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
beaumont68
AF Newbie

327 and body work questions.

i have a 68 pontiac beaumont and it needs a lot of work. i have read a lot of the other queations asked and you people know your stuff.

the motor in my car will not move. the heads are off and the cylinders are rust free ( what i can see of it.) i put a bar in between the bolts in the front and it will not move i also tried in the back were the fly wheel bolts on. it is on an engine stand now and easy to get at. please help.

also any body help is muchly needed fixing holes.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Andrewh
AF Newbie

Re: 327 and body work questions.

Put the heads back on with the old gaskets. Fill up the cylinder heads with marvel mystery oil. Let it sit a while. Some will drain into the pan. Just keep the cylinders filled up. Every day or so, try moving it back and forth again. It may take a couple of weeks, but if it is just stuck rings, it will give and let it turn over.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
buddieboy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumont68 View Post
i have a 68 pontiac beaumont and it needs a lot of work. i have read a lot of the other queations asked and you people know your stuff.

the motor in my car will not move. the heads are off and the cylinders are rust free ( what i can see of it.) i put a bar in between the bolts in the front and it will not move i also tried in the back were the fly wheel bolts on. it is on an engine stand now and easy to get at. please help.

also any body help is muchly needed fixing holes.
I dont care how old the post is i just want to post lol" have you took the oil pan off do so as you have moter on a stand ok see any metal dust in the pan is it front or rear or bottom if direction is determined frnt/rear start by pushing all the conecting rod caps sideways and back and forth
you will notice a small amount of freeplay(on some caps) maybe like 10 - 20 thousnths
longwise on the crankshaft if you find one that dosnt have the slight free play or two unbolt (unfasten) the two bolts holding that rod cap ok is the bearing stuck to the crankshaft if so prise lightly with a pocket knife at the endge be carful not to scatch the crankshaft if the crankshaft is damaged? and rough you will need to have it reground at a machine shop if you do manage to get the stuck bearing/s loosend you will need to mark all the removed caps with notches or punchmarks a disembly process is likely required', make little marks and scratch the numbers on the piston 1-8 and possibly mark the front direction to it can be as simple as a nail on aluminum or on the caps (cast iron) you may have to file tiny noches on the frnt edge of the conecting rod caps some mechanics make punch dots on the balance flats of the cap and on the sides of the rods them selfs if you happen to take a piston out you can avoid this marking if you put the same cap onto that rod and have already marked the piston itsself
Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

You really expect this to continue after 4 years!?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars