Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
PickyBiker
AF Newbie

Need 12 Water Pump for added radiator

My Ford Escape runs hot in the Texas heat (102 degrees) pulling a small trailer. I want to add a heater radiator to increase the total volume of coolant and the total radiator surface. The additional radiator will also have a fan on it.

Rather than just putting it inline with the existing radiator hoses, I would like to install a 12V water pump to ensure adequate water flow.

Can someone point me to a 12V water pump that will keep the water flowing and handle the system's 21 lbs of pressure and 230 degree heat?
PickyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: Need 12 Water Pump for added radiator

Have you tried just using a lower temp thermostat? Or adding a "pusher" electric fan in the front?

What yr is the vehicle? Engine size? When was the water pump last done? When was the coolant last flushed? Many contributing factors for the engine running hot & not enough info provided.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
PickyBiker
AF Newbie

No, I have not tried a lower temp thermostat, but that is an option. At first I wanted to put a blower fan in front of the radiator but after removing a bunch of stuff trying to gain access, I gave up because I realized the entire front of the car needs to be removed to get there. It is more work than I am willing to do.

This is a 2016 Ford Escape with AWD, 240HP 2.0L Ecoboost engine, and the factory towing package that includes the "Super Cooling" option. I suspect the cooling option is what makes it so difficult to get to the space in front of the radiator. Everything is completely boxed in. In fact, there is a panel below the engine that covers everything at the front. That panel must be partially removed to do a simple oil and filter change. Seems to me that this panel helps to trap the heat in the engine compartment. It has an 8" x 2.5" scoop opening on the right front for air to enter the compartment.

I have to say the cooling system isn't very super.
PickyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

lol... that last line. Well, you've checked off quite a few things on the list then. Coolant & water pump should be no issue due to being so new. Thermostat would be one route, to at least aid, even if not totally remedy the issue.

I know what you mean about Ford's cooling techniques... cramming tons of coolers in the front (some so small, hard to imagine they do anything but take up space). lol

I'll look up your vehicle and check for any TSBs for the "lack" of cooling or anything that may be relevant to the cooling system. I'll check back, in a few.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
bellaCuba
AF Regular

**Update
There is some sort of General Service Bulletin regarding the water pump. I can't view it on my phoone, so I'll try posting it later using the PC. It was listed under the 2016 Escapes but not specific to 2.0, I'll have to be able to open the PDF to know for sure. Here's a copy & paste of the heading:
"GSB G0000083 - Effective Feb 25 2016 Multiple Vehicles - Coolant Pump Inspection - General Service Bulletin (GSB)"
Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Here are my links to the screenshots to the info I did find. The GSB I mentioned above, was strictly about water pump exterior stains, & nothing to do with overheating or running hot.

I meshed 2 pages together on each screenshot so that each section was on its own link.
System operation:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpoi514kyg...28.50.png?dl=0
Causes for running hot or overheating:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wxd8w2bl2...31.03.png?dl=0

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cooling , heater , pump , radiator , water
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General