Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
tekhak321
AF Newbie

99 Alero Emergency Break Light and ABS Light remain on. Need to get inspection.

I have 1999 2.4 L Old Alero.

I am having a terrible time trying to figure out why my ABS light and Emergency Break light remain on.

I took it to a brake place where they scanned the codes and they said it had something to do with the electrical system in the front right caliper/hub assembly.

I have jiggled the cables, removed the battery, checked the fuses, everything I can think of to try and pinpoint the problem. Money is very tight and I don't want to buy a new assembly if I am not exactly sure what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas, or at the very least a way I can get the lights to shut off so I can get the thing inspected by the end of this week?

Thanks guys for your help.

Marcus

Last edited by tekhak321; 03-24-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: mispelled brake break.
tekhak321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Alero Emergency Break Light and ABS Light remain on. Need to get inspection.

Its probably the speed sensor. It comes as a bearing/hub/sensor assembly. The other possibly is that the wiring along the control arm to the speed sensor is corroded or broken. Knowing what codes they pulled would help.

You can check the output of the sensor with a volt meter set to measure a/c voltage. Compare the reading of the suspected bad side with the good side. They should be the same as long as the wheels a spinning the same speed.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
tekhak321
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Alero Emergency Break Light and ABS Light remain on. Need to get inspection.

Thanks a lot.

I sorta figured that was the problem.

If I were to get a Volt Meter, and do the check where are the wires that I would check? Where would I place the leads?
tekhak321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

There is a connector near the hub/bearing for the ABS. Unplug it. There are two terminals. Put a test lead on each one on the Sensor side of the connector. You should be able to rotate the tire fast enough by hand to get a reading.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alero , brake , oldsmobile , parts
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero