Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
jojabo1
AF Newbie

Angry 1994 dodge ram 250 van stalls dash goes dead

My 1994 dodge Ram van 250 dies suddenly. It doesn't matter if it's at idle or at 60 on the hwy! Hot or cold outside rain or not. it is intermittant. i've changed the ign. relay, starter switch, key tumbler, to no avail. it can happen four times in a row, and then not for months! when the van stalls, the dash lights go out, and when i turn the key to start, there is no power. the starter doesn't crank as if the battery is disconnected. click, nothing. if i keep trying to turn the key, it may start after a bunch of tries, or not. is it a ground, the alternator, or a sensor (speed sensor?) The van also seems to not go into the next gear at highway speeds. It will go to next gear between 30 and 40 mph, but stay in that gear. even at 60 or 70 mph! it's not that noticable, but i feel that something with that is wrong. could these be related?
jojabo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
echo5
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 dodge ram 250 van stalls dash goes dead

Any luck with this problem yet?? I have a 1992 Ram 250 pickup 5-speed w/5.9 Cummins that is doing exactly the same thing. I've replaced the ignition switch (which was bad) but still same problem.
echo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
jojabo1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1994 dodge ram 250 van stalls dash goes dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo5
Any luck with this problem yet?? I have a 1992 Ram 250 pickup 5-speed w/5.9 Cummins that is doing exactly the same thing. I've replaced the ignition switch (which was bad) but still same problem.
No, my mechanic has looked at it 3 times and can't figure it out It even happened to him twice while he had it. So far I've benn letting it run for about 45 minutes every week or two as it is not my daily driver and it hasn't done it. My mechanic sdaid he tied off the wiring under the dash, but he doesn't know why this is happening. I suspect it may now have something to do with a leaking windshield but i can't be sure. The windshield was replaced improperly and resulted in a small leak that ran onto the dash. But who knows?
jojabo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
SmokerMI
AF Newbie

Greetings

I seem to be having the same problem except it's usually when I am trying to excellerate "harshly". Like a jack rabbit start.

Although there are times when I'm going along at 60 or 70 and the engine simply shuts off.

I've got to stop the vehicle... turn off the key and pull it out... then after about 20 seconds I can restart the van.

Wish I had a solution for you both but just adding my misery to yours

Smoker
SmokerMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:07 PM   #5
fancydancer
AF Newbie

try checking the steering column...

my k1500 silverado had the same problem. it would stall at any time under any condition till finally it stalled and wouldn't start. the idiot lights stoped working too. it turned out that there was a short in the wiring harness located in the steering column. Replaced the steering column and its run great ever since.
fancydancer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van