Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Z8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
stick99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stick99
What do you think?

I was just wonding what you thought about the BMW Z8. I know it is a powerful car (basicly the M5 engine in a Z body) but I heard that the handling on the car is bad. Could that be because most of the weight of the car is on the front wheels? and is it possible to learn how to drive it well despite the unequal weight distribution?
stick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
jashev
AF Newbie

Hey there Stick. I don't know who you're talking to, but they are way off base. I own '01 Z8 (#888) since it was new. I'll put this car's handling head to head with any BMW model on the road, M included.

The weight ratio on this car is 50/50. It is not weighted to the front. It also has about the best brakes of any bimmer I've owned (and I've owned quite a few). The only handling complaint that I've ever experienced is a little bit of rear end slip out on a hard turn, but I blame the tires for that problem. The Z8 comes with run flats and as a result, the sidewalls of these tires is extremely rigid.

Finally, although I don't know as much about the differences, but my understanding is that the Z8 engine is not that closely related to the M5 engine. I have had conversations with the Dinan folks about getting their Z8 engine performance kit and found that while their kits for all other BMW's were standard and could be installed at any one of their local dealers, the performance kit for the Z8 could only be installed at their factory in California because each engine had been hand manufactured and the tolerances varied between cars.

There were only 2,128 Z8's made in the world (about 1,200 of those made it to the US). The car is very special and if you are considering getting one, I have no doubt you will enjoy it. My biggest problem is that whenever I drive it too much, my jaw starts to hurt from the continual grin on my face.

Good Luck,

Jon
jashev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Lamboholic
AF Regular

Re: What do you think?

I think they aren't worth the mony. A 360 modena would be a lot better. Better performance great looking and pure emotion.
Lamboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Lamboholic
AF Regular

Re: What do you think?

But after all I'm a Lamboholic so I'd go Gallardo for shure
Lamboholic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Z8