Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
spddmn1
AF Newbie

labor rate

Not sure if this would be the correct section to post this but, I've been a "shade tree" mechanic for about 18 years. I've worked on friends cars & family cars basicly for free because i'm a nice guy. Sometimes a friend would give me $20 or a case of beer. I've done minor jobs only, no engine rebuilds or tranny builds, pretty much brakes, exhaust, tune ups, stuff an average Joe can do. My question would be is: What would be a fair price to charge someone to work on their car? Don't want to rip someone off & don't want to short myself. I've got a friend that needs their front brakes done. I'm looking at replacing rotors / pads in the front & drums / shoes in the back on a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan.

The friend said they'd pay me & i at first told them don't worry about it but her husband insists on paying me. I figured i might as well get paid for now on. Just wondering if i should charge a flat rate for the type of job i'm doing. Thanks for any help guys.
spddmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: labor rate

I'm in a similar boat. For liability concerns, I accept donations but don't tell someone what they should pay me. My typical comment is "I just want to at least break even." If their car falls off a jack or a wheel falls off 100 miles down the road, I don't want them to be able to come back to me that I charged them for the work and now I owe them money to fix what I screwed up.

I'm sure they could still get lawyers involved if something happened, but I'd like to think that it wouldn't get very far if I didn't bill them for the work.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Shops charge anywhere from $75 to $110/ labor hour. My shop charges $90. If I'm doing work at home I just use my experience to make a wild guess.

Do you have a labor guide that tells you standard labor times for jobs? Like a book or software that says 4.3 hours for a VW timing belt? Use that number to come up with estimates. If its my neighbor's rich friend and I'm working on a difficult-to-diagnose car like a VW or Mercedes, I might base my estimate on $50/hr. Chances are its still 1/3 of what he was quoted by the dealer. If its my best friend I might do the case of beer thing.

As far as parts I add 25% if I have to go get them, research the possible parts differences, etc. If they provide them, well... no worries.

I almost always prefer getting my own parts for several reasons. A soccer mom who walks into Pep Boys and asks a 16-year-old clerk for spark plugs can yield rather interesting results. Even if they get the right application, the customer might have asked for the cheapest ones and they're inadequate, or they could have splurged on the $20 titanium plugs that are a waste of money. If you control the parts, you control the outcome. If you just install the $1.99 plugs they they bought and there is a misfire, it looks like you messed up. If you install the $20 plugs and 5000 miles later they are back with a check engine light because they send the computer into fits, you look like an idiot. Control the parts, control the "warranty". It doesn't matter who is doing the work, warranties are implied, especially with friends.

In either case, don't be afraid to voice your opinion on parts and let them choose. If they show up with the $1.99 plugs, it is advisable to warn them that they might suck instead of letting the end product speak for itself.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddmn1 View Post
I've got a friend that needs their front brakes done. I'm looking at replacing rotors / pads in the front & drums / shoes in the back on a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan.
If I were venturing a guess, I would say the labor guide lists the front brakes at 1 hr for pads, add 0.2 for each rotor R&R. Rear shoes are probably listed at 1.8 or so.

If I were quoting the job at home, I would tell them $75 total labor and they get the parts. If they brought it to my shop, it would be at least a $400 quote so they are getting a killer deal and you're getting $20/hr.