Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Kit Cars
Kit Cars Replicas, rebodies, customs or engineering. Talk about it all here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
whiplashjfk
AF Newbie

Question?

I would like to ship over a car from japan, however this car is illegal in canada. My question in is it possoble to send the car over in parts, meaning piece by piece and classify it as a kit car?

Thanks
whiplashjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Question?

This is a forum for listing parts for sale/wanted.

Moved...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplashjfk
I would like to ship over a car from japan, however this car is illegal in canada. My question in is it possoble to send the car over in parts, meaning piece by piece and classify it as a kit car?

Thanks
people have tried this before, with limited success. i don't think anyone's actually pulled it off properly. besides, the cost of all this is huge, the dismantling, shipping and reassembling are by no means cheap.

what car do you have in mind?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
leorinomato
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
people have tried this before, with limited success. i don't think anyone's actually pulled it off properly. besides, the cost of all this is huge, the dismantling, shipping and reassembling are by no means cheap.

what car do you have in mind?
Sorry, I had posted under my friends user name.. Um. I had a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO v, vi, vii, any of these in mind.
leorinomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorinomato
Sorry, I had posted under my friends user name.. Um. I had a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO v, vi, vii, any of these in mind.
i think they'd see past it. you'd get caught for having an illegal car on the road. i'm not sure if it's illegal because it failed emissions, or because it didn't meet safety standards. either way, it would cost a lot to pull it off, and you might end up with a hefty fine and your car taken away.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
leorinomato
AF Newbie

Quote:
i think they'd see past it. you'd get caught for having an illegal car on the road. i'm not sure if it's illegal because it failed emissions, or because it didn't meet safety standards. either way, it would cost a lot to pull it off, and you might end up with a hefty fine and your car taken away.
Here's what I was thinking; Buy the car in Japan, have them completely strip the car (to the frame). Have the motor, transmission,. drivetrain, ETC.. all sent at different times, then once the pieces are all here re-assemble it and in the event i get stopped or hasseled by the authorites i would simply say it is a regular lancer with an "EVO BODY KIT". Now, heres the thing since, i am shipping parts of the car over it's not illegal because they are considered parts not a whole car, so i mean could it be done that way? I would like to know what I can And cannot do in terms of what to get away with in a way which is legal.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Quote:
Here's what I was thinking; Buy the car in Japan, have them completely strip the car (to the frame). Have the motor, transmission,. drivetrain, ETC.. all sent at different times, then once the pieces are all here re-assemble it and in the event i get stopped or hasseled by the authorites i would simply say it is a regular lancer with an "EVO BODY KIT". Now, heres the thing since, i am shipping parts of the car over it's not illegal because they are considered parts not a whole car, so i mean could it be done that way? I would like to know what I can And cannot do in terms of what to get away with in a way which is legal.
Thanks
think about the cost of having it stripped 'n' shipped. if you've got deep pockets, maybe you can do it.

as for saying it's a lancer with a bodykit, you'd have to remove all the chassis dataplates, and they'd probably catch you out somehow even if you did that. i don't know about the law regarding it being shipped and built back into the car, but they'd probably classify it as being the whole car, regardless of your logistics.

what also matters is why it's illegal. if it's crash safety, they'd probably pull the records for the evo and say you're using an unsafe chassis. if it's emissions you might be able to bring a whole car in, and have it de-tuned to meet emmisions standards.

another thing to consider, do you think an exporter in Japan really wants to go to the trouble of dismantling a car and shipping it in parts?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

i assume you want to drive this on the road. if you want it just to race on a track, then you can do that. if it's not being driven on the road then it doesn't need to pass crash testing or emissions.

however, if you do want to drive it on the road, you have to have it legal. if you don't you could get in very big trouble with the law.

the biggest obstacle will come when you try to register the vehicle. your DMV will be able to pull all the info on the evos, and if it's not deemed roadworthy it's state when you have it tested, you won't get it registered.

over here (Britain), we have what's known as SVA testing (single vehicle apporval) which is when you bring a grey import into the coutry. i don't know about crash testing, but thing like emissions and lights are tested, often resulting in retro-fitting of seperate fog lights (rear fog lights are required by law here) and the like.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
leorinomato
AF Newbie

Quote:
think about the cost of having it stripped 'n' shipped. if you've got deep pockets, maybe you can do it.

as for saying it's a lancer with a bodykit, you'd have to remove all the chassis dataplates, and they'd probably catch you out somehow even if you did that. i don't know about the law regarding it being shipped and built back into the car, but they'd probably classify it as being the whole car, regardless of your logistics.

what also matters is why it's illegal. if it's crash safety, they'd probably pull the records for the evo and say you're using an unsafe chassis. if it's emissions you might be able to bring a whole car in, and have it de-tuned to meet emmisions standards.

another thing to consider, do you think an exporter in Japan really wants to go to the trouble of dismantling a car and shipping it in parts?

I have also Heard that if the car is a salvage car Meaning if the car has been in an accident it can be shipped over? True or not? If there is any other possible way to get this car into the country I would be willing to do anything, i am a huge EVO fanatic,and a rally fanatic at that. If lets say i cannot by no means ever import this car for road use, then what japanese four wheel drive car could i import which is fifteen years old and up?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Quote:
If lets say i cannot by no means ever import this car for road use, then what japanese four wheel drive car could i import which is fifteen years old and up?
you could wait until 2007 and import a 1992 EVO I. you can also get R32 GT-Rs for 1989.

if it's emissions exept due to 15 year age, you may be able to fit later generation engine and drivetrain, giving you a very fast EVO indeed.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
leorinomato
AF Newbie

Quote:
you could wait until 2007 and import a 1992 EVO I. you can also get R32 GT-Rs for 1989.

if it's emissions exept due to 15 year age, you may be able to fit later generation engine and drivetrain, giving you a very fast EVO indeed.
Not a bad idea at all! You know even the Galant VR4'S are pretty quick i was thinking about one of those. I like em' especially the rally editions RS
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Quote:
Not a bad idea at all! You know even the Galant VR4'S are pretty quick i was thinking about one of those. I like em' especially the rally editions RS
well, yes, you may or may not know that evos are derivatives of galants. the galant VR4 GSR was the basis for the first evos, mitsubishi saw the success of the galants in rallying and made an "evolved" version of it, under the lancer evolution name.

but if you really really want and evo, waiting until next year (which is only a couple of months away anyway) is the only real option. and if it's exempt from emissions regs you could put in a newer engine (i think it was the evo 7 where they switched the engine mounting around) and upgrade it.

i just think the concept of dismantling a car, shipping it and re-assebmling it would be very costly, and probably not a solution either.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

if you want to know more about evos and their history, the link below will tell you all you need to know:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...ancer_history/
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

if the reason it's illegal here is because of emissions, you can get it detuned, as said above. that gets the e-test out of the way, but the safety would be tougher. they inspect the car and if it isn't deemed safe to drive on public roads for whatever reason (be it brakes, chasis, whatever) you have to make it road worthy before you can drive it. it's still legal to import it, it's not like there's a law against bringing it into the country, it's just that you can't drive it on public roads. dissassembling it and reassembling it won't make a difference when they inspect it.

if you said why it's illegal it would help. but i'd say go for the older evo if it's an emissions problem, then swap, as 2.2 said. it took me a bit by surprise that '92's are already going to be 15 years old and won't need emissions, which means i don't have to fix the leaky cat on my accord and it means i can do whatever i want with the engine, screw catalytic converters.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
aztec7fan
AF Newbie

Also, when you have to register a kit car, you will need to have a VIN inspection of all major parts. You will also have to show reciepts of all the parts installed to show where they came from. If they all are from the same car, it may raise some eyebrows, and if you show purchase of the chassis, engine trans, and all other parts at the same time, again, possibly more problems.
aztec7fan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Kit Cars