Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Maintenance problems, fixes.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
paintguy98
AF Newbie

Thumbs up G-20 reliability...

:flash:
To All inquiring about G-20 reliability:
I have a 1993 G-20, bought it with 50K miles in 1996, now it has 155K miles! Here is what I have replaced: Both front power window motors(very recently), water pump (a pain in the ass w/out the right tools--knuckle buster job), alternator, starter, thermostat. That is about it -- NO major problems other that the cluctch is original -- I swear!!(still working well) but I have encountered the 'infamous' 5th gear popout at about 150K -- I plan on having it fixed soon and while the gearbox is out, have the clutch replaced and the cv/steering boots (4). I would say to anybody, definately buy a G-20 (pre-1997), just closely examine the car for wear and tear (like on the break and clutch pedals--this will give you a good idea how hard (or softly) it has been driven -- also, when initially going to look at it when considering buying, tell the seller to leave the engine cold so when you get there you can see how it starts cold and idles down properly. One more thing, don't be afraid to rev these things out daily -- they seem to run alot better - they love the high revs! Happy G-20 "hunting!"
Brandon
paintguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: G-20 reliability...

Quote:
Originally posted by paintguy98
...now it has 155K miles! <snip> ....NO major problems other that the cluctch is original -- I swear!!(still working well)
Oh, I believe you. I didn't replace the clutch in my SE-R untiil I installed my monster NA engine at 159k miles!

Quote:
Originally posted by paintguy98
One more thing, don't be afraid to rev these things out daily -- they seem to run alot better - they love the high revs!
Absolutely! The SR20 seems to have a problem with oil coking and premature engine failure if it's not run hard enough! Most of the problems seem to occur with G20s with slushboxes. They just don't see enough revs often enough to keep the oil pressure high enough. That's not totally proven, but there is enough anecdotal evidence that seems to support this.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Maintenance