Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Indy Car / IRL
Indy Car / IRL IndyCar Racing including the Indy 500 in Indianapolis.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
SevenZ
AF Regular

Danica Patrick makes IndyCar history by winning Japan 300

Danica Patrick makes IndyCar history by winning Japan 300

Quote:
MOTEGI, Japan (AP)—Danica Patrick became the first female winner in IndyCar history Sunday, taking the Indy Japan 300 after the top contenders were forced to pit for fuel in the final laps.

Patrick finished 5.8594 seconds ahead of pole-sitter Helio Castroneves on the 1.5-mile Twin Ring Motegi oval after leader Scott Dixon pitted with five laps left and Dan Wheldon and Tony Kanaan came in a lap later.

“It’s a long time coming. Finally,” Patrick said. “It was a fuel strategy race, but my team called it perfectly for me. I knew I was on the same strategy as Helio and when I passed him for the lead, I couldn’t believe it. This is fabulous.”

The 26-year-old Patrick won in her 50th career IndyCar start, taking the lead from Castroneves on the 198th lap in the 200-lap race.

“I think Danica is such a fantastic person and I’m thrilled for her that the monkey is finally off of her back,” said Michael Andretti, co-owner of Andretti Green Racing. “We have all believed in her and she proved today that she is a winner. Frankly, I think this is the first of many.”

Dixon took the lead from Castroneves on the 93rd lap in the race pushed back to Sunday because of wet track conditions Saturday, but gave up the spot to pit for fuel.

“We led for a lot of laps but came up short,” Dixon said. “But congratulations to Danica for her first victory.”

Patrick, who started from the third row and made her final pit stop on lap 148, stayed close to the leaders throughout the race.

Patrick went from fourth to second place on lap 197 after Wheldon and Kanaan went into the pit on lap 196. She was as low as eighth place on the 189th lap.

“I knew there was a good reason for coming to Japan,” Patrick said. “I want to thank my team, the fans and everyone who supported me.”

Dixon was third, 10.0559 seconds behind Patrick. Wheldon was fourth, and Kanaan finished fifth.

Castroneves, awarded the pole position after qualifying was rained out Friday, said Patrick ran a great race.

“With five laps to go, I was saving fuel,” Castroneves said. “When Danica passed me, I realized she was the leader. She did a great job, passed me fair and square and that shows you how competitive our series is.”

Patrick finished a career-best seventh in the season standings last year, and was second in the race at Detroit’s Belle Isle.

At the 2005 Indy 500, she nearly won the pole and became the first female driver to lead the race en route to a fourth-place finish. It was the best finish by a woman at Indy, and helped her take rookie of the year honors.
Link:
http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

SevenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Re: Danica Patrick makes IndyCar history by winning Japan 300

oh joy. She seems like about the meanest racing driver west of the Mississippi.
2005 Nissan Frontier ext cab 4x4 4.0L-Sold
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500r-Sold
2004 Yamaha FZ1 Silver/Black- Sold
2008 Mazdaspeed 3-In the driveway
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
FunnyGirl5
AF Newbie

i think its really cool that she's the first woman to accomplish winning the Indy Car Race and she even has her own show...you can see it at motodanica.com just click Danica Show when your there...its such a funny show lol its like a spoof on all those day time talk shows and its all racing related topics
FunnyGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

This is really kind of trivial.

What she has done pails in comparison to Michelle Mouton. IMO Check out what she was up against- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK7P...eature=related
The day I see Danica Patrick successfully navigate a Group B rally car through a crowd of people is the day I know she can really drive. I don't know why Danica all the sudden is getting all the credit for being some kind of "pioneer". We have known that women can drive for a very long time.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
FunnyGirl5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamehonda
This is really kind of trivial.

What she has done pails in comparison to Michelle Mouton. IMO Check out what she was up against- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK7P...eature=related
The day I see Danica Patrick successfully navigate a Group B rally car through a crowd of people is the day I know she can really drive. I don't know why Danica all the sudden is getting all the credit for being some kind of "pioneer". We have known that women can drive for a very long time.
Im not sure what that video was for but im excited for her because she was the first woman in the Indy Car Race to win 1st place and she's come so far in her career as a woman race car driver i give her props...her Sports Illustrated cover, the talk shows she's been on, and her own show...she's accomplished a lot. http://promo.motorola.com/motodanica/08/index.html Danica Show
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Use google on the name. That IS talent. Indy honestly don't mean squat. You seem very infatuated with her. Don't get arrested ok.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
FunnyGirl5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamehonda
Use google on the name. That IS talent. Indy honestly don't mean squat. You seem very infatuated with her. Don't get arrested ok.
I think she made a huge deal by proving she can do it as a female and that is something huge...and im sure it motivated a lot of women.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Indy Car / IRL