Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
hondaguy83422
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to hondaguy83422
right hand drive conversion

I have a jdm crx sir front clip. Need info on easiest way to do the right hand drive conversion
hondaguy83422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #2
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

Have you ever done something like this before? If not I would try it you trusting you life in this car but there are a lot of ways to do it but I don't know what the clip looks like so I couldn't begin to tell you were to start with out more info.
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 AM   #3
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
some front clips come with the frame and firewall and sometimes part of the interior as well, whereas others are usally just motor, tranny, suspension, and brakes.

if you got the frame and all, id bring it somewhere so they can cut the front of your car off, and weld in the new clip, if its just the motor and stuff, just bolt it up.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
york2600
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to york2600
Just a quick question here: Why? It's cheaper to just buy the car JDM and have it as a reliable production car not a hacked together JDM look-a-like. That is unless your in Cali and you can't import shit, but there's ways around everything.

Mods: Professionally Built B20/VTEC: B18C1 head w/ pocket port, JE oversized pistons, Eagle Rods, block guard, ARP head studs, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, STR Throttle Body, AEM CAI, AEM Fuel Rail/Regulator, RC Engineering 280CC injectors, Denso Iridium Plugs, Magnacor Wires, DC Sports 4-2-1 SS Header, Greddy Evo Exhaust, ACT Stage 1 clutch W/ ACT flywheel, Apexi SAFC & Revspeed Meter, and many other toys.
york2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #5
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

It's very hard to import any foreign car because they're safety spec's arn't up to ours so a lot of times you can't even bring it here. Also the emissions laws are a lot different here that's why its so hard other wise you'd see people with skylines and type R civics all over
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
srelick
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to srelick Send a message via Yahoo to srelick
JDM Front conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by zippeay
It's very hard to import any foreign car because they're safety spec's arn't up to ours so a lot of times you can't even bring it here. Also the emissions laws are a lot different here that's why its so hard other wise you'd see people with skylines and type R civics all over

Well there are quite a lot of Skylines and Type R's in this country and the number is growing. Plus those cars aren't sold here via the dealership network because of insurance reasons, not emissions reasons. That's why there' an EVO VIII.

Just buy a JDM Civic. It's a lot cheaper than welding on a front clip. And you can't "BOLT-ON" a JDM conversion. You're talking right-hand drive versus left-hand drive. Only the engine/trans combo will bolt in.

As for emissions, any properly tuned street engine can pass emmissions. You'll have to fail first to know what needs to be done.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
bobbydigital
AF Newbie

jdm cars

So can you tell me where I can get a complete jdm vehcle from?
bobbydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:22 AM   #8
york2600
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to york2600
http://www.j-garage.com/

There's one. Just look up JDM car importer on google.

Mods: Professionally Built B20/VTEC: B18C1 head w/ pocket port, JE oversized pistons, Eagle Rods, block guard, ARP head studs, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, STR Throttle Body, AEM CAI, AEM Fuel Rail/Regulator, RC Engineering 280CC injectors, Denso Iridium Plugs, Magnacor Wires, DC Sports 4-2-1 SS Header, Greddy Evo Exhaust, ACT Stage 1 clutch W/ ACT flywheel, Apexi SAFC & Revspeed Meter, and many other toys.
york2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:36 PM   #9
mylittedaisy
AF Newbie

E-bay has them from time to time and if you're looking for a CRX pick up the glass top.
mylittedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
IntegraB18LS
AF Enthusiast

but how do u registure them here? i was also told it would cost several thousand $
IntegraB18LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 AM   #11
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
First I will say that having a RHD car in a LHD country is a pain in the ass, and not worth the time andmoney it would take to convert it, or import one. But if you have to do it than do it right, here is a how to on it...

Ive seen a lot of threads asking about Right Hand Drive conversions and how to this or that... well, ive helped a couple of friends do RHD (2 EG's & 1 DC) conversions so I thought id throw in my $0.02.

Hope this helps...

-Take the dash and everything on it and under it out of both cars (the doner and the donee), including wiring, the pedal assembly's, master cylinders, fuel lines. You dont have to take the motor out (of either car) but it would make it a lot easier if you do.

-You have to be sooo carfull with this step. Take a dremel or an angle grinder with a good grinding wheel, and strip off all of the caulking off both firewalls so you have a nice, clean surface to drill/weld/paint/work with. I make about a 3-4 inch path to work with. I grind the caulking, plus about an inch on each side of it.
Heres the tricky part...
Take a drill (the bit should be about the size of your pinky finger), and drill out all of the spot welds along the base of the firewall... starting from the uppermost part of either side of the firewall (by the hood hinge) then work your way down, over, and up to the other side. There are about 25-30 or so from one side to the other. Once the spot weld are drilled out, then firewall should be kind of loose if not totally free to lift out. There may be a couple of hang ups, so drill them or cut them out if you have to. BE CAREFULLLL!!!! You dont want to bent/crease/fuck up the firewall in any way.
Once the firewall is completely out of the car, clean up the holes you drilled of any excess metal as best as possible so, again, you have a clean surface to work with... do the same on the cars chassis where the firewall once was.

-You still have to be so carefull here. Take some metal (alluminum) of about the same thickness as the firewall, and cut small 2"x2" sections out. Clamp the 2x2 sections onto the firewall over the old spot welds, and weld them on. Dont over heat and warp the firewall. Once all the 2x2's are welded on, then re-finish the spot weld areas with some metal working tools (metal hammer, bell, etc.) so you look like you have a complete firewall again without holes. Do the same on the cars chassis where the firewall was. You want to make it look like there never was a firewall there before and you are putting one in for the first time.

-Place the refinished (rhd) firewall into the refinished (lhd) car chasis. It should slide into place so to speak fairly easy. Once you have it aligned to where you want it... clamp it into place on each side of the top of the firewall (by the hood hinges).

-Make a couple of spot welds to secure it where you want it. BAM! Start making spot welds at every spot the factory spot welds were before (I think its about every 5-6 inches). Once the rhd firewall is in place, re caulk it like factory caulking and get it ready for paint.

Everything else is cake, just tedious.

Put the car back together using all of your rhd parts (dash and everything that goes with it, all of the rhd stuff that goes on the firewall like the master cylinder, fuel lines, and if hydro, the hydrolic lines).

***Heres are a couple of tidbits I ran into along the way and some things that helped me…

-I took the gas tank out & made sure that ALL of the fuel was out of the system. This may sound like an extra un neccessary step, but I wanna make sure im not going to have a fuel fire in the car when im working on it.

-I do take the motors out just because I like the work room if needed (not to mention im a big guy).

-I always got fucked up on the cars wiring.Since i was dealing with having a rhd engine bay & under dash wire harness, but a lhd interior wire harness. I would turn on the left blinker & the right blinker would come on in the back and on the side marker, but the left blinker would turn on up front.Stuff like that. If you have a rear wire harness, your stoked. Otherwise, its just trial & error.

-Make sure you have the rhd trunk relase and hood release cable and other misc stuff like that. Otherwise its a big pain in the ass.

-When your welding and taking out or putting in the rhd firewall, dont bend / crease / warp it. It will never come out right again.

-Lastly, but not least... check with your local laws about making sure you do this the legal way in regards to proper placement of VIN's and DMV registration.

Have fun!

Credit = Micro
Old 06-12-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
nsxracing
AF Newbie

Any Problem with Police

16 Just curious!! To all Right Hand Drive - owners:
Do you guys got pull over by state police ?? How often??
Because of Right Hand Drive?? Or others problem??
Did you guys experience any unnotice problem after the conversion??
nsxracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:10 AM   #13
showgun
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to showgun Send a message via Yahoo to showgun
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU? MAILTRUCK DRIVER? RIGHT HAND DRIVE HAAA HAAAAAAA

FUCKING IDIOT!!! WHY DONT YOU GET THAT MONEY AND BUY AN OUNCE OF COKE AND FLIP IT ??
showgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:16 PM   #14
nickzed20
AF Regular

showgun, stop being a baby
nickzed20 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical