Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
viking55
AF Newbie

Question 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Transmission not shifting into overdrive, running high on RPM's, BUT not all the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Could it be an electrical Module that is causing the transmission not to shift into high gear? Had the transmission checked out several times without going inside it and they say it is fine???
viking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
ofnobledescent
AF Newbie

Seems we have the same problem. Hopefully someone that is more knowldegable than we can help us out.
ofnobledescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dksob81 Send a message via AIM to dksob81 Send a message via MSN to dksob81 Send a message via Yahoo to dksob81
Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Does the O/D OFF light come on when the transmission does not shift into OVERDRIVE?
dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
viking55
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnobledescent
Seems we have the same problem. Hopefully someone that is more knowldegable than we can help us out.
Yes it does. I checked the 10 amp and 15 amps and they are okay. Do you think it could be the Transmission Control Module?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dksob81 Send a message via AIM to dksob81 Send a message via MSN to dksob81 Send a message via Yahoo to dksob81

No, the tranny is prolly overheating. When the transmission overheats, the TCM shutsdown the OVERDRIVE to reduce the heat in the transmission.

1st thing I would do is check the tranny fluid level. Then, maybe have the fluid and filter changed along with a Flushing.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
mtsu4000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking55
Transmission not shifting into overdrive, running high on RPM's, BUT not all the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Could it be an electrical Module that is causing the transmission not to shift into high gear? Had the transmission checked out several times without going inside it and they say it is fine???
Viking I have the same problem with my 95 JGC. If you find out what the problem is, be sure to post it. I think it may be a module too, I changed the 10 and 15 over the weekend but it didn't improve. I don't think the tranny is overheating either, because it usually does it when it first starts up after it has been sitting for a while.
mtsu4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
mtsu4000
AF Newbie

Viking I have the same problem with my 95 JGC. If you find out what the problem is, be sure to post it. I think it may be a module too, I changed the 10 and 15 over the weekend but it didn't improve. I don't think the tranny is overheating either, because it usually does it when it first starts up after it has been sitting for a while.
mtsu4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
viking55
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksob81
No, the tranny is prolly overheating. When the transmission overheats, the TCM shutsdown the OVERDRIVE to reduce the heat in the transmission.

1st thing I would do is check the tranny fluid level. Then, maybe have the fluid and filter changed along with a Flushing.
I changed the tranny fluid, filter and flushed.......that did not help. When I first start the jeep in the morning the overdrive light is on and the shifting is a problem. After work in the late afternoon the overdrive light is off and guess what? Shifting is normal. I think it is related to how cold/hot the engine is and as soon as I can get the time I'm probably going to change the TCM.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
cookie2
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

sounds to me like the TCM or the temperature sensor, I have read on here when the problem is related to cold it can be the temperature sensor.
cookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
viking55
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking55
I changed the tranny fluid, filter and flushed.......that did not help. When I first start the jeep in the morning the overdrive light is on and the shifting is a problem. After work in the late afternoon the overdrive light is off and guess what? Shifting is normal. I think it is related to how cold/hot the engine is and as soon as I can get the time I'm probably going to change the TCM.
Thank you for your input. I will add it to my list for the mechanics to check out. They are as stumped as I am!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #11
Midasgirl
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Thermostat

Ok, I know this sounds weird and I didn't believe it when I was told by a friend at a transmission shop, but he told me to change my thermostat. So, I did just that and it lasted a year! A year later, O/D wouldn't work again (in cold conditions) so I changed the thermostat again and it solved the problem. Apparently, the transmission is temperature sensitive. Try it! It's a cheap fix and it worked for me!!

Midasgirl
Midasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

your right!
that is wierd, but I believe it.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #13
rpady
AF Newbie

Please let me know what fixes this tranny problem. I have sort of the same problem but mine won't shift into overdrive or won't start out in first sometimes. Sometimes it starts out in 3rd and that's it Thanks and goo luck. Rob
rpady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
viking55
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Re: 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee not shifting into overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksob81
your right!
that is wierd, but I believe it.
I called the transmission shop and they told me it would cost $300 to change the thermostat and also thought I was crazy getting my information from the internet. The TCM is only $200 so I'm still waiting on it. I just don't know what to do anymore. In the meantime, the JGC is still starting in 2nd or 3rd and at the end of the day it is fine.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #15
dksob81
AF Enthusiast

$300 to change a T-STAT is crazy, the Thermostat only cost about $10-$15 (AT THE VERY MOST) and you could change it yourself within an hours time.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8