Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
iretired95
AF Newbie

Polaroid PBC-56J wireless backup camera

I want to find out if I can connect the camera to the backup wiring so the camera turns on when in reverse? The receiver plugs into the 12 volt plug in the console of the car. Supposed to operate wirelessly. Does the Equinox have any constraints when hooking up additional items like wireless camera's to the backup wiring?

I tried this hookup on my 2002 Ford Windstar and it will not work. I have found out Windstar's made after 1999 has the wiring so it cannot handle additional hookups. Hoping Equinox hasn't the same constraints.
iretired95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Re: Polaroid PBC-56J wireless backup camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by iretired95 View Post
I want to find out if I can connect the camera to the backup wiring so the camera turns on when in reverse? The receiver plugs into the 12 volt plug in the console of the car. Supposed to operate wirelessly. Does the Equinox have any constraints when hooking up additional items like wireless camera's to the backup wiring?

I tried this hookup on my 2002 Ford Windstar and it will not work. I have found out Windstar's made after 1999 has the wiring so it cannot handle additional hookups. Hoping Equinox hasn't the same constraints.
What year is your Equinox? When you say "backup wiring", what exactly do you mean?

AFAIK you you should be able to tap into the reverse light circuit of any Equinox. It's 12 volts and wouldn't be any different than adding trailer light wiring.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
iretired95
AF Newbie

It' 2007 Equinox. So you think hooking up at the taillight reverse bulb won't cause a problem? This way the monitor will only come on when I put the car in reverse.
Couldn't do this in my 2002 Windstar as all the monitor did was flicker. Yet if I put the camera across the battery I would get a clear look from the camera.

Thanks for your help.
Bob
iretired95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iretired95 View Post
It' 2007 Equinox. So you think hooking up at the taillight reverse bulb won't cause a problem? This way the monitor will only come on when I put the car in reverse.
Couldn't do this in my 2002 Windstar as all the monitor did was flicker. Yet if I put the camera across the battery I would get a clear look from the camera.

Thanks for your help.
Bob
You could try connecting directly to the reverse light circuit and see if it works. If it doesn't, just implement a relay for the camera's power connection. Use the reverse light circuit as your trigger signal to close the relay.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
camera , wireless
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox