Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Loboborracho
AF Newbie

I feel cheated by Michelin

So, I put a set of Michelin's on my Toyota Corolla on Dec. 2, 2010. I just had a car inspection on April 12, 2014, and the guy directed my attention to cracks circling the tires on the treads--the sidewalls look fine. He said that I should replace them ASAP.

The tires were Michelin Energy XM1 195/65/15 Treadwear rating 320. They were made within the previous two months of installation on the car. Total mileage on the tires was 20,000 km (12,000 miles).

So, 3 years 3 months and 12,000 miles? WTF? Does this seem at all right? I feel quite ripped off. (edit) The tread has NOT reached the wear bars, but I'm worried about driving on the highway with these things.

Any comments? Thanks.

Last edited by Loboborracho; 04-16-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Loboborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Re: I feel cheated by Michelin

Michelin makes some good stuff.
Off hand, I'd say you have an alignment issue,
or inflation issue,
or you are just driving the snot out of the tire.
Probably wouldn't hurt to pop by a Michelin dealer to get their input on it.
If it's cracking between the tire tread blocks, it's time to say good bye to the tire as the belts could be exposed to the elements which weakens the tire internally.
If the tire tread has worn down, that is another reason to ditch the tire.
I'd put another set of tires on (your choice) but I'd have the suspension alignment checked as well.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Loboborracho
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Michelin makes some good stuff.
Off hand, I'd say you have an alignment issue,
or inflation issue,
or you are just driving the snot out of the tire.
Probably wouldn't hurt to pop by a Michelin dealer to get their input on it.
If it's cracking between the tire tread blocks, it's time to say good bye to the tire as the belts could be exposed to the elements which weakens the tire internally.
If the tire tread has worn down, that is another reason to ditch the tire.
I'd put another set of tires on (your choice) but I'd have the suspension alignment checked as well.
The wear is even, there's still tread left (not down to the wear bars), the car drives straight with my hands off the wheel, I did the scheduled rotations, and I've kept the pressure right. I don't live in a very dry climate and winters rarely see below freezing temperatures. I'm at a loss for the poor performance of these tires.

I used to think Michelin did make a good tire, too, but not anymore. My stock Yokohamas were crap, too. Now which tire to gamble on?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
jerryg2112
AF Regular

If you've done all the rotations and balances then you should be able to get some of the tread warranty.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

I'm confused.

First, you say the tires are down to the wear bars, then you say they aren't. It would be helpful if you were consistent.

Second, some tire cracking is normal, but some technicians will point to those normal cracks and claim you need new tires (with the idea of making a sale!!) You need to be careful here. A second opinion would also be helpful.

And lastly, if in 3 years you've only put on 12K miles, that usually means a lot of in-city driving, which isn't conducive for treadwear. So it shouldn't be too surprising to see the tires wear evenly, but rapidly.

Yes, by all means, find a Michelin tire dealer and get their opinion. They may surprise you.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

I would look at the dot label on the tires and see when they were manufactured, then based on your purchase date see how old they were when you bought them, if older than say 2 years you should have a valid complaint with the dealer.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Loboborracho
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I'm confused.

First, you say the tires are down to the wear bars, then you say they aren't. It would be helpful if you were consistent.

And lastly, if in 3 years you've only put on 12K miles, that usually means a lot of in-city driving, which isn't conducive for treadwear. So it shouldn't be too surprising to see the tires wear evenly, but rapidly.

Ooops, my bad, that original post should read "has not reached the wear bars." Thanks for pointing that out.

And, yes, mostly city driving. I'll take them by a dealer, but I'm in Japan and it appears the often generous tire warranties found in the States, are not offered here. Guess I'm SOL.

But the consensus here is that these tires failed way early, right? These tires should have lasted at least a year long if not more?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
maxwillis
AF Newbie

I just saw that there is a new online tire shop called Tirendo. Thinking about order new Michelin tires there. Has anyone else had experience with this shop already?

http://www.tirendo.co.uk/
maxwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Loboborracho
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwillis View Post
I just saw that there is a new online tire shop called Tirendo. Thinking about order new Michelin tires there. Has anyone else had experience with this shop already?

http://www.tirendo.co.uk/

I wouldn't. You'll get ripped off at that place for sure.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels