Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
bearcat329
AF Regular

Angry no spark?

I have a 91 Geo Storm and I am getting no spark. I just replaced the coil pack( has power to the coil ), ignition module, distributor cap,ECM and pick up coil. I have checked all grounds and all fuses and am still not getting any spark. Can anyone give me any advice on what the problem could be??
thanks
Rick
bearcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
bearcat329
AF Regular

Re: no spark?

well......I guess a broken timing belt can cause all of the above....now to tear it down and see how much damage was done....maybe it's minamal? can always hopee, th engine has less then 80k on it
The Following User Says Thank You to bearcat329 For This Useful Post:
ricebike (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

non-interference engine; you got lucky!

Quote:
it needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles. If it snapped, no worries, the isuzu engines are non-interference so no damage to the head/valves/pistons will take place
just time it correctly, check seals, possibly time to change out the water pump as well if it was original...
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
bearcat329
AF Regular

the geo/chevy dealer told me otherwise! lol, leak checked the valves, held water in the cylinder head for over 20 minutes, guess the valves are water tight!, ordered the gasket set and new timing belt, saved 65$ going thru rockauto.com! now to reassemble it......
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat329 View Post
the geo/chevy dealer told me otherwise! lol
wow that sucks that the stealership tried to get money out of you; but then even RockAuto's site says it's interference as well

gonna change out the water pump along with it?

ps: how do you know which kit you need?

there's # 169 vs # 177 (guessing the number of "teeth" on the belt??? or belt length)

also noted on eBay at least that the 177 is for the GSi but they both have the same displacement engine <shrugs>
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
bearcat329
AF Regular

the GSI is the double overhead cam version, so a longer timing belt is needed, as far as the "kit" just looked up the gaskets that i needed and ordered them separately. have to see if my son has the extra$$ for the water pump...
the dealership only provided the info I asked for, didn't try to get me in for the repairs, must of been a busy week for them....lol
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Jonny Roden
AF Newbie

I have a 1993 Storm and I had the same problem with no Spark. I replaced the plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor,and the coil and still didn't have any spark if you have done all that I would say that it is the whole distributor itself, If it is super rusted im sure this is your problem. My mechanic told me that they are supposed to have a gap on them somewhere and if that gap rusts shut they will not work.Anyways $300 and a new distributor that solved the spark issue on my 93 geo storm. This is very simple to replace it took me about 5 minutes All you have to do is pull the cap off then I think it is two more bolts to take the distributor off. also it will need a brand new cap for it because the old one wont fit right if it has been shoved on ur old rusty distributor,
Jonny Roden is offline   Reply With Quote