Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Club Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
theperson10
AF Newbie

Question 1997 6.8L V10 misfires

Hi all,
My parents own a 1997 Club Wagon XLT with the 6.8L V10. It has recently started misfiring, at all RPMs and speeds.
So far, it has thrown three DTCs:
P0301 'Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected'
P0306 'Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected'
P0351 'Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction'

Initially, it was only reporting the first two codes. Then, we decided to check if it was in fact the coil that was causing the codes, by swapping the #6 and #7 coils, and clearing the DTCs. After doing this, on the first power on, the diagnostic tool reported that P0351 was pending. On the second power on, it reported the code again, no longer pending. So far, P0301 has not reappeared and the expected P0307 hasn't shown up, but I expect it's only a matter of time.

So, I've found a copy of Ford's diagnostic procedures for the coil packs here:
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/CoilOnPlugTest.htm
and only one immediate question remains:
Is Coil A on Cylinder 1? or is it on the first cylinder in the firing order?
(i'm going to test the coils I suspect, but if, say, Coil A is on neither Cyl. 1 or 7, then I might have a bigger problem...)

Tangentially related:
Some googling of the filenames in the above document's internal links led me to this site, as it seems there are copies of some of these files here.
(this is the google search I used: http://www.google.com/search?q=tpsre...tiveforums.com )
I was wondering/hoping that there might be a more complete copy of the troubleshooting guide here, though the URLs Google turned up have apparently been deleted.(the filename i'm looking for seems to be "VVA00288.htm")

Last edited by theperson10; 04-06-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add'l info
theperson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
lovecats
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 6.8L V10 misfires

Quote:
Originally Posted by theperson10 View Post
Hi all,
My parents own a 1997 Club Wagon XLT with the 6.8L V10. It has recently started misfiring, at all RPMs and speeds.
So far, it has thrown three DTCs:
P0301 'Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected'
P0306 'Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected'
P0351 'Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction'

Initially, it was only reporting the first two codes. Then, we decided to check if it was in fact r4i gold the coil that was causing the codes, by swapping the #6 and #7 coils, and clearing the DTCs. After doing this, on the first power on, the diagnostic tool reported that P0351 was pending. On the second power on, it reported the code again, no longer pending. So far, P0301 has not reappeared and the expected P0307 hasn't shown up, but I expect it's only a matter of time.

So, I've found a copy of Ford's diagnostic procedures for the coil packs here:
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/CoilOnPlugTest.htm
and only one immediate question remains:
Is Coil A on Cylinder 1? or is it on the first cylinder in the firing order?
(i'm going to test the coils I suspect, but if, say, Coil A is on neither Cyl. 1 or 7, then I might have a bigger problem...)

Tangentially related:
Some googling of the filenames in the above document's internal links led me to this site, as it seems there are copies of some of these files here.
(this is the google search I used: http://www.google.com/search?q=tpsre...tiveforums.com )
I was wondering/hoping that there might be a more complete copy of the troubleshooting guide here, though the URLs Google turned up have apparently been deleted.(the filename i'm looking for seems to be "VVA00288.htm")
I own a car of this kind. good
lovecats is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
6.8l_v10 , club_wagon , misfire , obd_ii
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Club Wagon