Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Tiburon | Tuscani
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
henrod
AF Newbie

New Tib owner - Needs advice

Hi everyone, new to the tuning scene looking for advice. I've had my 2004 6-speed (silver) for a couple months now. I just installed the AEM intake (polished) sunday and the B+G springs yesterday. Sounds bitchin', handles much better (no more understeer). I've ordered the aluminum temp dials, Supervision gauges, aluminum vent rings, veilside shift knob, and tuscani door sills.
Also, tuscani badges are already installed, limo tint all round, and the short throwshifter (installed the first week).
Where do I go from here preformance wise. Also aestheticlly. Also the next recommended step suspension wise. I look forward to hearing everyones input, I've been reading previous posts and I especially look forward to hearing from nisco.
henrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

i can help out suspension a bit.

you just got springs, so now get some good shocks...

koni...
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...rack&x=46&y=14

a lot fo people would then get strut bars, and also a center bar. these will help reduce a condition known as body flex. they help slightly, i believe most get them instead of sway bars just cause they can be seen without crawling undre the car. kspec can get you these...
http://kspec.com/main.php?ac_id=78

one of the biggest iimprovement you can make to your cars handling is probably going to be antisway bars...
http://search.ebay.com/tiburon-sway_...ectZ1QQfromZR8

of course, if you dont already have lightweight wheels, then adding those with some sticky tires will increase handling drasticly as well.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
nisco
Tib Guy

Send a message via AIM to nisco Send a message via MSN to nisco
Re: New Tib owner - Needs advice

do you want to stay n/a = naturally aspired
or go f/i = forced induction i.e. super or turbo charger?
nisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
TibsBeatALL
AF Enthusiast

suckin up to nisco eh????

hehe.
but i guess he knows most about turbo.

my tibby broke down.
wtf.
TibsBeatALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
henrod
AF Newbie

Thanks tibby01, but i have another question about bodyflex. I understand that the tiburon is a unibody frame rather than a bolt on is that more desirable? Also do any of these suspension upgrades occupy the same space i.e. will I have to sacrifice one for the other. Also how bad are the stock 17". Which tires would you recommend.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
henrod
AF Newbie

As to your question nisco, let me explain the direction I want to take my car. I want a driver that will last at least the warranty. I don't want to turn my Tib into a race car, I would do that with my RWD 240sx. No offence to the Tib. Forced induction is not a route I would like to take. I just want a driver that has a nice visual with a little more horsepower than others in its class.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: New Tib owner - Needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrod
Thanks tibby01, but i have another question about bodyflex. I understand that the tiburon is a unibody frame rather than a bolt on is that more desirable? Also do any of these suspension upgrades occupy the same space i.e. will I have to sacrifice one for the other. Also how bad are the stock 17". Which tires would you recommend.
unibody frames exist mostly because they cheaper for the manufacturer. not only are they cheaper to build, but they are lighter, which allows the manuf. to use less extensive powerplants, breaking and suspension components. they are not more desirable, but it would be hard to find a car today that does not have a uni-body frame design.

no, none of them occupy the same space. front strut bar goes across the tops of the front strut mounts, the rear one goes across the rear strut mounts, and the center bar usually is bolted across the bottom of the very center of the car(around where the back seats passengers feet go. sway bars go underneath the car and connect the two suspension members on either sides.

i really dont know much about the stock 17" wheels, but i would have to say that you could do better. if you want to do MUCH better, get these...

http://www.5zigenusa.com/w_fn01r.html

VERY expensive though. but some of the lightest wheels you will find. as for tires, i would just go with kumho ecsta 712. cheap, durable, and pretty good performance.

as for performance, you already got the aem intake. good choice. now you can get some headers, catback exhaust system, pulley set, bored intake manifold, bored throttle body, upgrade all the electrical stuff, and you'll be good to go.

no ofence taken on the 240sx, those things are beasts.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
nisco
Tib Guy

Re: Re: New Tib owner - Needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrod
As to your question nisco, let me explain the direction I want to take my car. I want a driver that will last at least the warranty. I don't want to turn my Tib into a race car, I would do that with my RWD 240sx. No offence to the Tib. Forced induction is not a route I would like to take. I just want a driver that has a nice visual with a little more horsepower than others in its class.
thats cool i jus wanted to know where you were heading

the stock 17s are pretty damn goodof course you can get better tires... but theyre perfectly fine for a daily driver.... in all types of weather
www.nextgenerationmotorsports.com
has plenty of n/a and f/i stuff there... the guy t.c. owns the place.. and has done so much for teh tib already and constantly has new stuff comin out for it
Old 07-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
henrod
AF Newbie

Why would i need a bored trottle body without forced induction? Also, why would i need to upgrade the wires. I have a contact at nology and he said it would be a waste of money for my application. These are legitimate questions, i'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think it reads that way.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
henrod
AF Newbie

Neither of those links works either.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #11
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

a bored throttle body matched with a bored intake manifold was just proven to show a 3 whp and 14 tq increase on someone with a beta engine from a rd2. they would show much more on the bigger delta engine.

yes, while a BBTB and BIM will show huge gains for a forced induction car, they will show slight gains for a n/a car. the gains may not be enough for the money spent on them, but you asked for options, im just spitting them out.

the wires will help. maybe not a lot, but they will. maybe like 2hp.

i put stuff that will help less at the end of the list. pretty much anything else that you add without boosting the engine will cause just as many problems as you would get if you did boost it.

aggressive cams, high comp. pistons will drasticly reduce driveability. you wont have to upgrade fuel unless you change comp. ratio or pressure either.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
nisco
Tib Guy

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Tiburon | Tuscani