Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 09:10 PM   #1
94civic
AF Enthusiast

tell me if this sounds good

i want a system that if you stand around the car and all the doors and the trunk is shut you can feel the bass in your chest. I was planning on making my system out of:
2 12in audibahn sub 1400 watts total in a bandpass box
1 10in audiobahn sub 1500 watts total in a cutom box
pioneer deh p900 headunit
2 audiobahn digital capacitors
2 1400 watt legacy amps
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:19 PM   #2
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
dude i knew a guy who had a system in an eclipse that did exactly that! he had 3 jl audio 12w0s in a ported box and a 1000 watt memphis amp. my civic would do it too, 2 jl 10s and a jl 12 in a sealed box, 840 watts to the 12 1500 watts to the 10s. i wouldnt recommend a bandpass box if youre into sound quality and not just rumble cuz they sound like crap (i have one of the damn things in my car right now while the fiberglass flush-mount box is being made and i hate it) a ported box will give the highest spl, which is the strength of the "thump" but a sealed box is clearer, my opinion is sealed all the way but depends exactly what u want your system to do. if u just want it to thump really hard on people standing outside go ported if u want it to rumble them go bandpass, but be wardned bandpass boxes dont thump for shit and they dont sound good either, theyre really just for rumbling.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:31 PM   #3
ACCSlvCivic
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to ACCSlvCivic Send a message via AIM to ACCSlvCivic Send a message via Yahoo to ACCSlvCivic
amps/boxs

i see the legacy amps.. stear clear of those.. they have high peak ratings but their RMS (avg output in very simple terms if i understand correctly) is very low. Also their THD is a very high %. THD is basically distorion.. that's no good
if you are going to shell out the money for audiobahn subs get an amp that's worth it

right now i'm rolling with 2 JL 10w0s.. sealed box and a 200watt (peak) amp turned way the heck down. Until i get dynamat for my car i can't turn it up anymore. with the sealed box i'm hitting cleaner at high volumes than my friend with 3x JL 10w0s and a 650watt fosgate amp. Also on your head unit you might want to set the freq response curve to 40hz and 2W (if it's a pioneer unit).. that's what i'm using and it's d0pe

as far as amps go, i'd suggest going with a reputable amp like rockford fosgate, mtx, or one along those lines.. Might even try power acoustik..

with as much bass as you are talking about i'd suggest hitting components all around on your car.. infinity does awesome speakers. make sure your door speakers are good or you'll never be able to hear your music with that much bass..

also invest in dynamat or some sort of deadener for your trunk and doors... you'll hit cleaner and you won't get that ghetto rattle.

my 2c
c/f hood
Custom Spa Yellow (s2000) paint job
Blacked out taillights
triple beam projector headlights
16" Enkei TBS11s w/Paradas all wrapped around them
Aluminum Front and Rear upper tie bars
Custom CAI, JG 4-2-1 Header, Custom Racing Madalion catback exhaust (2.25") with testpipe
short shifter and Neuspeed shifter bushings
Pioneer DEH-P7300 CD player w/6CD changer
orion 800.4 xtreme amp, 2x 12" eclipse subs, and some 6.5" Focal componts from the polyglass line (6v1)

Next up:
GSR Swap and hopefully some sponsorship?
ACCSlvCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:44 PM   #4
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
My system did that. I had 4 12" JL Audio W6s in my honda prelude. I had an MTX 2150x amp going to each, 1000 watts per sub. Sometimes I couldn't even handle it in the car, and it even hurt ears when you were outside of the car.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:59 PM   #5
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
Almost sounds good...Avoid the Legacy amps. Some of the less expensive brands are ok, and just get a bad rep for being inexpensive. Legacy is not one of those brands. Their stuff is cheap, it plays cheap, sounds cheap, and lasts about as long as cheap stuff usually does, which is to say, not very long. Go with high-quality amps to really push those subs! Audiobahn, PPI, PG, RF, those are all good. Next, you're planning on running subs of different sizes. In my opinion, NOT a good idea, but to each his own. One thing to keep in mind though, is that you will need a good equalizer and crossover setup, and you will need everything wired and tuned perfectly, or you will hear very little bass, because the sound coming from the different sized subs will cancel out. Also, having two different types of boxes also isn't advisable because the different frequences of bass will mix together and sound BAD. Just make sure everything will work out good before you spend the money on it. And good luck!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:40 AM   #6
94civic
AF Enthusiast

how about lanzar are they any good? and for the headunit it's actually a deh p930 and also is a crossover really needed for the subs.
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:21 PM   #7
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Quote:
Originally posted by 94civic
how about lanzar are they any good? and for the headunit it's actually a deh p930 and also is a crossover really needed for the subs.
Yes Lanzar amazingly enough puts out some very nice products. However, I would NOT recommend mixing subwoofer sizes, I would say go with either 3 - 12's or 3 - 10's... dont mix them, you get into all kinds of problems with "cancelation" and wave differances (some parts will hit before others) etc. Follow the imple K.I.S.S. rule and you cant loose!

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 02:07 PM   #8
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Quote:
Originally posted by sparq

Follow the imple K.I.S.S. rule and you cant loose!

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote