Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Anton Cech
AF Newbie

How to buy a Roadmaster Estate to go Route66

Hello Roadmaster experts
I live in Vienna Austria, and have some relatives in the states which I visit from time to time. They live in Chicago, Albuquerque (now moved to AZ) and in LA.
So we had the idea to travel Route 66 and visit all of them. That should happen in 2015. We will be 4 People (my wife, jungest daughter and boyfriend and me). Now we can rent a car - but I loved a car my uncle in Albuquerque was using some time ago. It was a Buick Roadmaster - it was the most comfortable car I ever sat in. So I thought of buying one just befor the trip (would prefer an estate wagon).
But now there are some problems - all my relatives in the states are no technicians, so if I ask them to buy for me, think that will not work out. I am a technician, and I know a few cars very well, but only European cars - that wont help if I try to check a bick (may be I can hear if it sounds nice, or some simple things, but I wont be able to check it properly) It should work well for that trip - and if possible - sell it after the trip again.
So finally here are my questions:
Can some of you suggest what is the best way for me to arrange that?
Can you prepare a list of points I have to go through in order to check the car properly?
Her we have car clubs, they do pretty good and relyable checking of a car, befor you buy it - can that be found in the states as well?
I'd like also to know if you just think it is a stupid idea.

Thank you for all your answers
regards
Anton
Anton Cech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: How to buy a Roadmaster Estate to go Route66

I believe, the last one made was back in 1996.....

So we are talking about an 19-20 year old vehicle.....

Costly to repair....

The estate had a great ride.....a strong engine(Corvette engine).....plenty of room, especially for travelling....

If your heart is set on it(I personally would get something else, Like a late model Park Ave., plenty of room, good ride), get one from a southern state where it was not exposed to the road salt of the northern areas.....look for low mileage.....just have the vehicle checked out by a GM dealership(give them one hour's labor)before buying...... they knowing what to look for, can give you a list of potential problems......

Why buy? Averse to renting a vehicle?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
Anton Cech (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Anton Cech
AF Newbie

Thank you for the answer.
Sorry for the very late response.
I thought over what you wrote, and checked some rates, also of bigger cars to rent - and for sure you are right - also if it would be a nice adventure with an old car - it could get us into a lot of troubles, and expenses.
Thank you again - I will definitely rent a car for that trip.

Regards from Vienna Austria
Anton
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Triple G
AF Newbie

I personally love your idea!! You should look around on our Craigslist or ebay and find the Roadmaster wagon you are looking for. With your experience you will be able to tell a good one when you see it. Yea it might not be perfect, but it will do the job for your needs.

Also if you have some problems on the way, that's all part of the "fun".
I wish I had the time to do what you want to. I recently purchased a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon from craigslist for 900 dollars and it runs and drives Great. Obviously the more money you spend on the car the better it will be, but you can find some bargains. Don't be discouraged. Go For It!!!
Triple G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Anton Cech
AF Newbie

Hi Triple G
Thank you for the encouragement. I postponded that trip for two years, but will be with my aunt and uncle this November in Arizona. Will talk it over and may be buy one, if he has space to keep it till I need it. Think you are right - it will be part of the fun .- aniway I enjoy technical repairs - are there repairbooklets available for the Roadmaster? I allways buy those for my cars, because I use older cars for myselve here as well (right now an Audi 100 1990 drives and works great )
Thank you and reagrds
Anton

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster