Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
B.A.F.
AF Newbie

Question 2010 traction control esc mystery

A couple of months ago I backed out of my driveway and when I turned the wheel to the right I heard a chime and the dash read "Traction Control Disabled" "Service ESC" I scanned the car with my Snap On Solus Ultra and it came up with a code of C0561. Apparently some kind of communication problem between modules but not a "Fault". I have years of experience in auto repair and most of the tools.... I couldn't make any sense of this so I went to see a friend at Chevy. He and I spent an hour with a Tech 2 and we came up with nothing. I scoured the internet and found very little. This problem only happens when the wheel is turned to the right, usually occurring at 180 degrees from center. It does not happen when the wheels are off the ground. The steering angle sensor looked good on the Tech 2 snapshot movie. I checked for signals from the wheel speed sensors and they were present and accurate. The plugs for the sensors were good with no signs of corrosion. The car has 37000 miles and of course is out of warranty.
Has anyone had any similar problem? I have seen posts on various internet sites of horror stories of dealers changing expensive parts only to have the customer back the next day with the same complaint. This is the only thing going on, no problems with cruise control, reduced power warnings, or engine cutting out. Can anyone help? Thanks
B.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2010 traction control esc mystery

They do have a problem with the traction control switch causing a C0561 to set, but that does not explain why it only occurs when turning. There were no other codes stored in any module? Usually this code sets because of a drive train problem and there will usually be a code in the PCM. I'm not sure of the cost of the traction switch, but they will set this code without any others. May be something to try.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
B.A.F. (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
B.A.F.
AF Newbie

I saw that TSB too. The TC switch lists for about $21.00. I just can't get what or why that switch would be a factor when it only occurs while turning right. Any thoughts on why it won't happen when the front wheels are off the floor?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

I would check wiring harnesses, may have a broken wire to a speed sensor, but I've never seen a speed sensor set a C0561. A harness/wiring issues makes sense though. Wire flexing when raised and lowered.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
B.A.F.
AF Newbie

Problem solved!!! I left the car with my friend the Chevy tech and told him to drive it home and keep it until he found the problem. After playing with it a bit longer he called the GM technical support line. They knew right away. It was the steering angle sensor at the base of the electric steering column. This part is not sold separately. The entire column less the electric motor has to be replaced. My friend and the service manager called Chevrolet and managed to get me "assistance". Since the car has only 37000 miles on it they replaced the column for me at a cost to me of $200 + tax. When I picked up the car my friend showed me the column and I immediately recognized it because I viewed a Youtube video of the same part having the steering angle sensor replaced. The video was of an earlier model. My friend told me that the part might or might not be the same but it was impossible to know because there are no part numbers on the part and there is no listing for the part for 2009 and up. Chevrolet will now take my old column and replace whats bad and sell it as rebuilt. The bottom line is my gut feeling was right all along regarding a bad steering angle sensor. Chevrolet did the right thing by me and so did the service manager of the dealership who of course was tipped generously.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu