Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
scoof84
AF Newbie

Silverado bogs out and backfires when first started

I have a 2000 Silverado z71 5.3l my problem is intermittent bogging/backfiring after startup. The truck starts fine every time but it is when you put it in gear and hit the gas it stumbles and backfires through the intake for the first minute or so. If I baby the throttle it will eventually clear up and run fine after about a mile. It does this cold most of the time but often does it warm also. Fuel pressure is good it has been tuned up I cant find any intake leaks. After it clears up it seems to run fine but it is really irritating when I go to pull out of a gas station in traffic and I have to pull over and wait 30 to 60 seconds of idle then it runs normal. anybody else have this issue?
scoof84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
brian_k24
AF Newbie

Re: Silverado bogs out and backfires when first started

It sounds like what my 2003 Siverado 5.3 did a few years back. it would run rough, hesitate, and stumble until it warmed up some. I was not getting any check engine lights but when I checked with my scan tool it showed LTFT (long term fuel trim) was very high. I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and solved the problem. You could see that the old gaskets had failed as soon as I pulled the manifold.

Last edited by brian_k24; 11-22-2015 at 03:25 PM.
brian_k24 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
5.3 , silverado , stumbles
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado