Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
scott17818
AF Newbie

2000 GMC sierra 3500 no start

I have a 1 ton 2000 GMC sierra (old body style 99') 7.4 litre V-8 gasser with the allison 1000 tranny, 4x4. the engine will not crank over..

battery was dead so I charged it, batt was holding 9v, so i hooked up jumper cables to my new car, guage showed 12v, so I tried to start the truck.. the fuel pump, antilock brake system, and guages came on.. as well as the "check engine light", "service engine soon", and batt light... I ensured the trans was in park, even tried neutral.. no crank

I hooked up the mini scanner tool I have, and got no codes.. cleared the ECU/ECM anyways.. no crank

I also tried swapping out my starter relay with the A/C relay, and pulling fuses to the ECU/ECM for 20 seconds to clear any issues/codes.. no crank

my next option is to clean the battery cables & terminals (or replace the cables), and replace the battery... the battery is only 2 years old.. due for replacement, but I'm kinda broke right now (christmas)

the battery is one of those stupid side terminal ones with poor connections to begin with.. is there a top post terminal battery I can get to replace this POC? or will the posts hit the hood? recommendations?

this is a plow truck, single battery setup (at the moment).. and the fisher 8' plow when running the hydraulic pump severly drains the battery.. lights dim severely, been wondering about a higher rated alternator (factory is rated at 120-140amps), larger power cables... etc.. dual batt system...
scott17818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
scott17818
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 GMC sierra 3500 no start

co I cleaned the terminals, applied some dielectric grease, and checked everything.. batteries guage went up to 12+v, and still nothing, checked under the hood while my fiance turned the key, the starter relay clicked over, but nothing from the starter solenoid.. I attempted to get under the truck, but had no room to get under without a jack, or lift.. was going to tap the solenoid and see if it would start..
Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

So what did your battery gauge show when your signi other turned the key? I would bet drops to 9 or less.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

You need to see if you have 12v to the starter wire at the solenoid when trying to crank the engine, if so the solenoid/starter is done.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
scott17818
AF Newbie

going to check for 12v at the solenoid excite wire tomorrow morning.. I'm thinking that's exactly what happened.. starter solenoid/start died.. how do I go about replacing the solenoid, I see i can purchase just the solenoid part of the starter (local parts store has it in stock), just never done it before..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
issue , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra