Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > GS300/GS400/GS430/Aristo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
ComponY
AF Newbie

Cold Air Intake?

Well I'm thinking of modding my '93 Lexus GS300 up a bit. It's a 3L, 6 Cyl. So it has some power. I'm thinking of buying a cold air intake, and maybe a spoiler.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/injen-is-pe...12&filterid=g2

Do you think it's worth it, and how do you think it will effect my car if I do install it?
ComponY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Cold Air Intake?

There is a lot of conflicting data on the effect of installing a Cold Air Intake. If you have extra money, go for it. Don't be surprised if you don't notice any difference in performance, other than making your engine noisier.

One warning: Don't get one with an oil-whetted filter element. There is a good chance the oil will end up contaminating your intake air flow meter. They are expensive.

Not worth the money in my opinion, but I never run my engines at full throttle either.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

The upstream H20 sensors will sense the difference, and the ECU programming will adjust air/fuel ratio to factory settigs. The new spoiler will look cooler.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
There is a lot of conflicting data on the effect of installing a Cold Air Intake. If you have extra money, go for it. Don't be surprised if you don't notice any difference in performance, other than making your engine noisier.

One warning: Don't get one with an oil-whetted filter element. There is a good chance the oil will end up contaminating your intake air flow meter. They are expensive.

Not worth the money in my opinion, but I never run my engines at full throttle either.
There is no issues with oiled filters as long. This is an overblown myth.

Oiled filters messing up a Mass Air Flow Sensor has occured in less than 0.1% of installations. The vast majority of those issues were caused by the owners either adding oil to the filter that comes preoiled from the factory, or after cleaning the filter and applying too much oil.

I (as well as MANY people I know) have run oiled filters for 15+ years and have never had an issue.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
ComponY
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
There is no issues with oiled filters as long. This is an overblown myth.

Oiled filters messing up a Mass Air Flow Sensor has occured in less than 0.1% of installations. The vast majority of those issues were caused by the owners either adding oil to the filter that comes preoiled from the factory, or after cleaning the filter and applying too much oil.

I (as well as MANY people I know) have run oiled filters for 15+ years and have never had an issue.

I'll have to research just in-case. I mean no disrespect to either of you above, but I'd like to also learn why things happen etc. I like to be detailed and get things done.

However, what do you think it will do performance wise?
ComponY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

As mentioned, a CAI is more about freeing up a little airflow and some additional noise. It is more of a supporting mod and adds next to nothing as a stand alone.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Unhappy Re: Cold Air Intake?

I ruined a $150 MAF meter despite careful oiling after cleaning - according to instructions (TRD filter element). I am a careful person, and as such with these results, feel it is an unnecessary risk when a dry filter is adequate. Not an overblown myth.

"I (as well as MANY people I know) have run oiled filters for 15+ years and have never had an issue." <=Some MAF meters/sensors are likely to be more sensitive to contamination than others. Some engines (5S-FE for example) don't even have MAF meters to contaminate.

ComponY: Actually, it appears that the JCWhitney CAI you are proposing to purchase is not oiled, so maybe there is no reason to debate this issue. However, I believe your stock intake system is every bit as good from a performance standpoint as the one you are proposing to purchase.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"

Last edited by Brian R.; 07-17-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > GS300/GS400/GS430/Aristo