Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #16
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Pros and cons of dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin02131
Bought my 2001 in april of 2003 . 26 k miles on it . heard horror stories , but having some vibration in the rear . I understand its a 2 speed but that all i know . Been rebuilt and going back in this week . I'll let you know
The only thing 2 speed about your truck is if it was 4WD the transfer case has 2 speeds. Hi and low.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #17
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Merlin02131 Send a message via Yahoo to Merlin02131
Re: Pros and cons of dodge

Hey PWMAN

Thanks for the reply as i am learning as I go here .
I was told that the rear end had 2 speeds . I know that its a positve traction rear end . Do you know if that is true ? They supposed ly tore the rear end apart , and put it back to gether . I knew they did the seals but they mentioned that it was 2 speed and that these have been known to cause an issue . After they did that , it was fine for about 2 to 3 months .
Merlin02131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey PWMAN

Thanks for the reply as i am learning as I go here .
I was told that the rear end had 2 speeds . I know that its a positve traction rear end . Do you know if that is true ? They supposed ly tore the rear end apart , and put it back to gether . I knew they did the seals but they mentioned that it was 2 speed and that these have been known to cause an issue . After they did that , it was fine for about 2 to 3 months .
Is your truck 4WD?

It is impossible to have a 2 speed rear end. Yes your truck probably has a limited slip differential. It's very common in newer trucks.
Who did this work? Because if they specifically told you that you have a 2 speed rear they are retarded.

I work for a construction business. We have a dump truck, it has a 2 speed rear. Thats just a slang name kinda. It really means 2 speed axle. There is a step-down box on the front of the driveshaft, and I have a button on the shifter in the truck. It's a shift-on-the-fly deal, meaning I don't have to be stopped to change it. It simply has a high and low gearing in it. That is what a 2 speed ''rear'' is, it doesn't come any any kind of pickup truck.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #19
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

Hi PWMAN

Thanks for that info . Mine is a 2 wheel drive 318 with fuel injection . I questioned them and thats what they said . Won't be the first time they lied . Thats why i joined this site . Appreciate the help . I am familiar with the 2 speed axles . I am bringing it to a Jeep dealership ( chrysler family ) as I have a friend in work that knows these folks . At about 65 I get vibration . I shut the cruise off and it is still there but not as bad . seems that when there is force constant on the drive train , I get the vibration .
Old 01-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #20
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

2wd! Nothing about your truck whatsoever is two speed!

A good idea is to get a tachometer. At 65, see what RPM you are doing. Then, get off the highway, and manually shift the tranny in first and leave it there. Drive until you reach that same RPM in first gear constantly and see if it rumbles. Do the same thing in second gear too. If it rumbles in any gear it's either engine or tranny. If it's strictly at 65 then it's in you differential or driveshaft. In fact, this really sounds like your driveshaft is out of round. To see if it is, take it off and put it on a flat surface. Roll it gently and see if it is a smooth roll or it hobbles up and down as you roll it.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

HI

Never thought of that . You may be right . I have a tach , and low speed I can feel a little vibration . At approx . 1800 it shifts down at low speed and at 45 it goes to about 18 to 2200 before it shifts down to about 1100 . Generally when you are cruising around 40 MPH and let go of the gas .
Old 01-03-2004, 07:03 PM   #22
sasquatch2550
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Dont buy a chevy

IF you like a dealer telling you your main engine bearings just go at 70k in the 350 chevy engine in a 4x4k1500 and there nothing you can do but replace the engine or look at all these other nice trucks we have here on our lot for you to buy, after we give you 2 grand for your truck you bought for 15000, then go ahead and buy a chevy. Or if you would rather have a dealer/ service manager go to bat for you and help find a solution to any problems that may not be covered by your warranty, go dodge. Chevy Service = Screw You Consumer, you bought it, now its your problem!

Kelly Chevrolet in phoenixville PA The worst service department and owners in the world!!!

Dambrosio Dodge in Elverson pa A+ operation.
sasquatch2550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #23
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
HI

Never thought of that . You may be right . I have a tach , and low speed I can feel a little vibration . At approx . 1800 it shifts down at low speed and at 45 it goes to about 18 to 2200 before it shifts down to about 1100 . Generally when you are cruising around 40 MPH and let go of the gas .
Yeah get your driveshaft checked out.

Another thought-Since your diff has been out those morons probably didn't replace your carrier bearings. They will need replaced. How many miles do you have on your truck?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #24
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

Just around 42 K . The carrier bearings ?

I really appreciate all of your help ! Thanks !

merlin02131 on aol
Old 03-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #25
GLASSMAN962
AF Newbie

I Have Worked For A Utility Co For 20 Years. We Have Changed Trucks Alot .used Chevy Fords And Dodges.light Duty And Heavy Duty From 12 Ton To 1 Ton.and I'm Here To Tell You Buy What Ever You Like The Most Cause We Have Had All 3 Last A Long Time On The Other Hand We Have Had All 3 Be A Big Piece Of S___,so Go For What Ever You Please.all Brands Have Good And Bad Luck.i Drive A 2001 1500 Quad Cab Dodge And A 2003 Heavy Duty Quad Cab Hemi Have Had Problems Nothing Major Warranty Covered All Cost.for Me Nothing Looks Better Than A Dodge Wheather On The Side Of The Road Or Flying Down The Road.long Live Mopar
GLASSMAN962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #26
GreenlandMopar
AF Newbie

You know i am really tired of all the people that do nothing but talk shit on the dodge truck trannys. Every auto maker has there own individual problems and for a few years dodges problem was there trannys. This problem was mostly cause by improper fluid being put into them. Because of this little problem everyong sas that all dodge trucks are shit and its totally not true.
GreenlandMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #27
GLASSMAN962
AF Newbie

Greenlandmopar,you Go, I Totally Agree.in My Last Reply I Made An Error.i Drivea 2002 ,that I Purchased In 2001 Along With The 2003 H.d Hemi.mopae A Head By A Hemi Sphere
GLASSMAN962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #28
Merlin02131
AF Newbie

Hey

Thanks for the replies ! I have to agree about the Dodge bashing . I love my truck and really want to resovle these issues .

The last stop at the dealer did this :

They removed the driveshaft and claim they rotated it 180 degrees , then re-installed it . It seemed to have worked for a while but is coming back slowly now .

Also , I stopped using the cruise control and it seems that the vibration is Definately not as bad . That has been about 5 - 6 months . The last time they rotated the drive shaft , it was a little over a month that the problem came back .

2 months ago , It was Super cold up here ( below zero ) , My trans shut down overdrive ( bulletin on this ) due to the lack of fluid when it gets that cold . Blew my mind but this truck does NOT like cold weather . I also am bringing the truck back as a new thng , everytime I use the cruise control , it smells like its burning . I looked but can't find a darned thing ( electrical smell in the cab ) .

Thanks

Rich
Old 03-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #29
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
I've had my 1997 Ram since it was new, and everything is just as it should be, the only complaint that I have about it is the gas mileage. It's horrible. I have the 3.9 V6 with a 5 speed, and my grandfather has a 318 automatic, and the gas mileage is about the same between the two engines. I should have just bought the V8 for the amount of gas I buy. I would have taken advantage of the power I would recieve for the same amount of gas. Hindsight is always 20/20. Consider this:

Grandfather's truck: 318 Auto. 60 mph=1750 rpm in overdrive.

My truck: 3.9 5 speed. 60 mph=1750 rpm in 5th gear.

I've compared gas mileage calculations with him and they're about the same.
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #30
indyram
AF Enthusiast

this is for gstep. i have a '96 and a haynes repair manual it only lists codes from 11 and up. so i would double check the code number and if it is still 10 call a dealer and ask.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote