Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #61
Justin350
AF Newbie

GREAT video! Thanks for sharing.

If that video doesn't make you want to own an NSX, I don't know what would! heh.

What's up with it overheating at the end of the race though... Was he pushing it too hard?

And out of all the cars in the field, I can't believe the Modena had a little problem with the brakes fading.
Justin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #62
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

trying to fend off a murcilago(sp) and a gallardo with about 200hp more than u will probably make ur car overheat...probably pushing the limits in the straightaways did it
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #63
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof
Hi, I am asking this in the most sincere way possible. Why would you want to buy an NSX? The 2004 model is about $90,000 before taxes etc. and it offers a mere 210lb of torque which you could get from a car that costs 20k. And at $90,000 you have a huge amount of choices of cars to get. I even think the '30 Dodge Viper at 400+ lb of torque is at 79k.

Now remember I'm not out to put down the NSX, I just want to know why you would choose it over the many other choices like a viper or a porsche or a used lamborghini, BMW or Mercedez-Benz. Or even a new Subuaru Impreza.
Because weight, litres & of course upgrades
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 PM   #64
yellownsx
AF Newbie

You have to remember too that the NSX when it came out in 1991 beat the Corvette ZR1 which was going for $65,000 IF you knew a dealer very well, up to $75,000 if you didn't. (back then the NSX was much cheaper) Psssst.... and slower than the 97+ models. Now, with the new H S C coming out, well, it will be interesting.
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #65
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownsx
You have to remember too that the NSX when it came out in 1991 beat the Corvette ZR1 which was going for $65,000 IF you knew a dealer very well, up to $75,000 if you didn't. (back then the NSX was much cheaper) Psssst.... and slower than the 97+ models. Now, with the new H S C coming out, well, it will be interesting.
it will be very interesting indeed.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #66
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

i thought they canned any future plans for an NSX replacement for the time being.....
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:28 AM   #67
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to '97SLVRBullet

Quote:
I believe, no, I am sure that you are ,mistaken. At first I thought you had confused the ZR1 with a base model Vette, then I realized that either the LT5 LT4 or LT1 Vettes were all faster than the NSX. They did not make the ZR1 in 91 either if I remember correctly.
91 Corvette
0-60 5.3
1/4mile 13.9

90 ZR1
0-60 4.5
1/4mile 12.8

91 Acura NSX
0-60 5.8
1/4mile 14.4
C.A.I. Edelbrock shorties,all free mods,Borla's,MSD,LT4 timingchain, 1.6r/r,LT4 cam, NGK,p&p heads,ported maf ,52mmTB adj fuelpressure reg.,373's,pcm tune by pcmforless, all poly bushings,spohn t/a, s/t brace, etc. What I don't have..no egr no air pump and no cats

Well dip me in chocolate and
throw me to the lesbians!!!!!

'97SLVRBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #68
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97SLVRBullet
I believe, no, I am sure that you are ,mistaken. At first I thought you had confused the ZR1 with a base model Vette, then I realized that either the LT5 LT4 or LT1 Vettes were all faster than the NSX. They did not make the ZR1 in 91 either if I remember correctly.
91 Corvette
0-60 5.3
1/4mile 13.9

90 ZR1
0-60 4.5
1/4mile 12.8

91 Acura NSX
0-60 5.8
1/4mile 14.4

The following column was in the Chicago Sun Times A few months ago. I cut and pasted it from something I left at that time on this site. it is again:

BY DAN JEDLICKA AUTO REPORTER

Few cars become instant classics, but the slinky-looking 1991 Acura NSX exotic sports car is one of them. It was a wonder.

Acura dealers were charging customers up to double the price of the hand-built NSX when it arrived for 1991. Some customers were laying out $20,000 just to be put on a waiting list. The car's first year was its best sales year, with 1,940 sold.

The innovative two-seat NSX was the world's first aluminum production car, with an aluminum engine, body and suspension. Honda knew high fuel economy and lower emissions from light cars would be top priorities in the future and thought it could meet those challenges by making a light exotic sports car, which also would improve Acura's image. So it came up with the NSX.

"Auto writers at the 1991 NSX media preview in Japan wanted to know about things such as the car's top speed and handling, but Honda really wanted to talk about such things as the car's innovative use of lightweight aluminum and its fuel-saving design,'' auto analyst Maryann Keller told this reporter after attending the preview. "The NSX was fast and sleek and all that, but that wasn't what the car was really all about.''

The styling of the NSX initially grabbed the most attention. The low-slung car had a canopy-forward design inspired by the F-16 fighter jet. A driver sat in a race-style cockpit well organized around him in a supportive buttery soft leather-covered seat while looking through a sharply raked windshield. There were plenty of comfort and convenience items, including automatic climate control.

The NSX had a race-style mid-engine design and competition-style 24-valve V-6 with variable valve timing and a variable volume induction system for sharp throttle response. The engine had titanium connecting rods used in Grand Prix race engines and whisked the NSX to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and took it all the way to 165 mph.

The NSX was the first car with electronically driven power steering. Light and quick, it offered the sensitive road feel of race car steering. A traction control system eliminated wheel spin on slippery roads.

The NSX could compete with sports cars from established exotic automakers such as Italy's Ferrari and Lamborghini and England's Lotus. Car and Driver magazine found on a race track that the NSX outdid most of the world's top exotic cars: Ferrari 348, Porsche 911 Carrera 4, Lotus Esprit Turbo SE and the special Corvette ZR-1, which had a unique hand-built engine largely designed by Lotus.

The NSX came from Honda's upscale Acura division. It had a list price of $60,000 with a five-speed manual gearbox, making it the most expensive Japanese car ever sold in America. (The posh Acura Legend sedan had been the first Japanese car to break the $20,000 barrier.)

Some industry observers thought the NSX really should have been priced at more than $100,000, considering its technical sophistication and performance.

"Just look at the NSX's exquisite aluminum suspension components -- even Ferrari doesn't have them,'' said Chicago area Acura and Ferrari dealer John Weinberger.

Other high-performance 1991 sports cars with exotic nameplates weren't meant to be driven daily because they lacked reliability, quality and civility for such use. That wasn't the case with the NSX; it came from Honda, which wasn't about to sell a car that couldn't be used on a daily basis without fuss.

Fuel economy of most exotic cars was awful, but the NSX provided an estimated 18 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway.

Besides its weight-saving goals, Honda set out to make an exotic mid-engine sports car that would establish new levels of prestige, performance, refinement, driveability and reliability.

"The NSX is not only extremely fast, but also smooth, refined, comfortable, surprisingly quiet and easier to drive than most high-performance cars,'' Consumer Guide said. "It doesn't require the driving skills of Mario Andretti to enjoy [but] if you're a highly skilled driver, you'll probably find the NSX is just as rewarding to drive as any of the European exotics.''

The NSX changed the way people viewed exotics. If the Japanese NSX could compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini and still be practical, why couldn't high-performance European sports cars?

This reporter found the car wasn't perfect, with a small cargo area and special tires that helped provide outstanding road grip but only lasted about 15,000 miles. It was hard to find inside door handles and power window controls in the dark and aluminum-intensive construction meant costly repairs.

The NSX also had high steering effort when parking with the five-speed manual gearbox because power steering came only with the four-speed automatic transmission model, which cost an extra $4,000.

The manual-transmission version had a 270-horsepower V-6, while the automatic transmission model had a 252-horsepower version of the engine because Honda lacked an automatic to handle 270 horsepower.

Still, I gave the NSX high marks in nearly all areas. The manual transmission version was the most fun, with its nifty short-throw shifter, light clutch and higher horsepower. The automatic-transmission NSX was plenty fast, but that transmission seemed out of place in such a high-performance sports car.

The NSX continues to be sold, although the lack of an exotic nameplate has made it fall far short of sales expectations. The 2004 model remains essentially the same as the 1991 model. The manual transmission version now has 290 horsepower, and the retractable headlight covers were dropped in 2002, when front and rear styling were slightly revised.

The price remains reasonable at $89,000 for both manual and automatic-transmission versions. A 1991 model in top shape is valued at $35,875. That's more than half its original list price, but it's worth every penny.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #69
yellownsx
AF Newbie

I believe that the First year the ZR-1 Was slower than that......the next 2 years the ZR-1 aquired a faster motor. This I found out from my boss who owns a Corvette (his second).
Old 10-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #70
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I believe that the First year the ZR-1 Was slower than that......the next 2 years the ZR-1 aquired a faster motor. This I found out from my boss who owns a Corvette (his second).
Yea that's when Lotus sold the LT5 to GM and they put it in the ZR1. 1990 was the fastest ZR1, they slowed over the years:
0-60 5.6
1/4 13.9
0-60 4.7
1/4 13.1
They changed from the expensive LT5 to the LT1-4, The NSX is an awesome car, but they have never been faster than a vette, base model or top line. I checked carstats to be sure. Not trying to start an argument, but personally, if I am wrong I like to be given the right info.
C.A.I. Edelbrock shorties,all free mods,Borla's,MSD,LT4 timingchain, 1.6r/r,LT4 cam, NGK,p&p heads,ported maf ,52mmTB adj fuelpressure reg.,373's,pcm tune by pcmforless, all poly bushings,spohn t/a, s/t brace, etc. What I don't have..no egr no air pump and no cats

Old 10-22-2004, 11:51 PM   #71
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Yea that's when Lotus sold the LT5 to GM and they put it in the ZR1. 1990 was the fastest ZR1, they slowed over the years:
0-60 5.6
1/4 13.9
0-60 4.7
1/4 13.1
They changed from the expensive LT5 to the LT1-4, The NSX is an awesome car, but they have never been faster than a vette, base model or top line. I checked carstats to be sure. Not trying to start an argument, but personally, if I am wrong I like to be given the right info.
the nsx outdid the vette and other exotics on a race track, meaning a course track, not a drag race. also, on the 1/4 mile, the nsx runs lo to mid 13's.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #72
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran_nsx
the nsx outdid the vette and other exotics on a race track, meaning a course track, not a drag race. also, on the 1/4 mile, the nsx runs lo to mid 13's.
He was talking about speed and the 91 model, and yes they are better on the road, but not 1/4 mile.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #73
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

98 the NSX did 12.9, all the other years were mid to high 13's and low 14's

Old 10-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #74
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
He was talking about speed and the 91 model, and yes they are better on the road, but not 1/4 mile.
yellownsx said it beat the zr1, he didn't mention 1/4 mile, i believe u did. he then brought evidence of it beating the zr1 and other exotics with that article. also, with 1/4 mile times, just because a car recieve a certain time, this doesn't always mean they can't get better times, this is a general idea of how well they do depending on driver experience, but for this specific arguement we'll just go off those times.

heres a link to see how well some nsx's do. its just too bad the U.S. don't get any of the other models such as the nsx type s or the nsx-r, these are fast on the 1/4 mile and the track. just go to media archives:

http://www.runeb.org/www_docs/Jexoti...exmain_all.htm
Old 10-23-2004, 12:41 AM   #75
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran_nsx
yellownsx said it beat the zr1, he didn't mention 1/4 mile, i believe u did. he then brought evidence of it beating the zr1 and other exotics with that article. also, with 1/4 mile times, just because a car recieve a certain time, this doesn't always mean they can't get better times, this is a general idea of how well they do depending on driver experience, but for this specific arguement we'll just go off those times.

heres a link to see how well some nsx's do. its just too bad the U.S. don't get any of the other models such as the nsx type s or the nsx-r, these are fast on the 1/4 mile and the track. just go to media archives:

http://www.runeb.org/www_docs/Jexoti...exmain_all.htm
Yea, I checked on some other cars on that sight that I got the times off of and I they apparently have some horrible drivers, the times were not anywhere close to being right. You are correct on that.