Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 PM   #91
JoeStangV604
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JoeStangV604
Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Its not about where the car is built necessarly but rather where the proffits go. If an american car is built in mexico with 200 dollars worth of labor costs, that doesnt matter. The profits go to the united states primarily. If a japanese car is built here the cheap labor costs do not make up for the profits and R&D money going back to japan. the true jobs that run our economy are the engineering jobs in detroit and dont forget those corporate execs in detroit that reinvest back in the united states.

I don't blame ford copying the NSX, its a very very well built car. I just don't see why anyone would own one since you don't get the horsepower you should be getting for the near 6 figures it cost. Why reinvent the wheel? If there already is a nice car to copy off of, then do it, and make it better. Did you ever hear that the japanese learned everything they know about mass production assembly lines and automobile production from Ford. The Toyota founder also frequently visited the Rouge plant (dearborn michigan) in the 1950s and 60s. They took an already good idea and improved upon it. Then we took what they did and improved upon that and so on.
JoeStangV604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:40 AM   #92
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

The NSX does not run the quarter mile in 14.3 - 14.8 seconds...WTF?

Look at the numbers in various magazines, look at videos, go to nsx prime and see what guys have ran STOCK.

Nsx 3.0 270 hp run in 13.6 - 13.8 range
Nsx 3.2 290 hp run in 13.2 - 13.4 range
Nsx 3.2 Type R run 13.0s flat
Nsx Type S Zero have ran 12.8 second quarter miles.

The NSX is a mid to low thirteen second car, that is equal to a C5 vette, Bmw M3.

Now, a Mustang V6 cant even beat my civic Si. So how compare it to an NSX. Even comparing a mustang GT is ridicoulous.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #93
NSX-R
AF Regular

Because NSX's are hand built and are a masterpiece. o and it will out handle a dodge viper , which means if they raced on the track nsx would win.
NSX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #94
JoeStangV604
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JoeStangV604
umm no it cant

The Civic SI would destroy a stock pre 99 v6 mustang yes. But not a 99+. Civic SI = maxed out already and not much left to do to it. Stock mustang v6 04 has about 19 lbs per RWHP. civic SI has almost half the torque as a v6 mustang with about 20 lbs per RWHP. With these numbers i doubt a civic si stock could be a 99+ v6 mustang stock. My mustang when i am done modying it in a few months or so will have 190 RWHP, and 240-260Ft lbs of torque at the crank. Thats enough to beat a New ACcord V6, 5.0 95 Cobra Mustang, and all hondas except the NSX and S2000.

Why do people buy civics for racing?
JoeStangV604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:39 AM   #95
kevcrx
AF Newbie

When purchasing an NSX, I believe that you are purchasing a potent mixture of technology and sophistication unmatched by 99% of cars under 150G's. I don't have 90-100G's to purchase a new NSX. (nor would I pay that much for one.)

I just have to become more imaginative in acquiring an NSX.

I think most would agree Honda makes excellent engines and quality cars. Ask NSX owners pushing 100,000 miles and many will honestly answer it still runs
"Like New."
A used 91' NSX may run about $25,000-$30,000 on websites such as autotrader.com. The majority of NSX owners garage, pamper, and maintain their cars as well as anybody.

Ok, enough of the small talk. Lets ALL make this thread more interesting. I wish to hear from everyone with an honest response.

-The scenario is a 24-hour race through a race track.
-$50,000 dollar limit on car + any parts you want.
-Your life depended on it.

What car would you choose now?
My answer is simple - A used $25,000 NSX, spend $25,000 to bullet-proof engine and suspension upgrade.

No longer factors:
-who has more HP?
-who has more torque?
-quarter mile is 14.0 instead of 13.5
-which car is cheaper!
-modded street cars

My Predictions:
Turbo powered cars- Overheating a major drawback, most turbos are good for short periods-but a 24 hr race full throttle? It might explode! The power of turbo decreases through long periods of increased heat as race goes on. (while V-Tech strives in intense heat!) AWD turbos such as Evo's and WRX's have limited top MPH speed.

Domestic V8's, V10's, V12's- The race track may present twists and turns not suited for these puppies. They may gain time on the NSX during staight sections, but NSX makes it up on turns. The NSX was given an exact weight ratio and horsepower to minimize the need for braking on turns. An NSX driver may REDLINE on turns while heavy cars are braking. I give Domestic V8's and up props, but they are not made for these conditions. An NSX is within a car lenght with a Viper on a straight section, then may seriously be ahead when entering turns. Multiply this single fact times a couple hundred times.

Street cars: For street cars such as a 350Z, the question isn't if a bullet proof NSX will lap you, its how many times it will lap you. And thats putting it in a nice way. Just think, 24-hours of engine redline, grinding through turns, braking, ect. Street cars have very limited top MPH.

Although a vette' zo6 under $50,000? may concern me,
I expect to win this type of race in a bullet-proof NSX.
The NSX also has looks that would kill.

My intent was to eliminate the cost factor by purchasing a used NSX. Replace minor comparisons with a drastic scenario. With that said, I want to hear from you NSX guys.
kevcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #96
exman98
AF Enthusiast

Re: umm no it cant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStangV604
The Civic SI would destroy a stock pre 99 v6 mustang yes. But not a 99+. Civic SI = maxed out already and not much left to do to it. Stock mustang v6 04 has about 19 lbs per RWHP. civic SI has almost half the torque as a v6 mustang with about 20 lbs per RWHP. With these numbers i doubt a civic si stock could be a 99+ v6 mustang stock. My mustang when i am done modying it in a few months or so will have 190 RWHP, and 240-260Ft lbs of torque at the crank. Thats enough to beat a New ACcord V6, 5.0 95 Cobra Mustang, and all hondas except the NSX and S2000.

Why do people buy civics for racing?

i keep up with rustangs all the time with my 98 civic EX.... and beat them.

anyway back to the NXS
HP and tourqu isnt every thing. it is in the manner you use it
it is clear with the numbers that they are running honda is doing some thing right
exman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:53 PM   #97
yellownsx
AF Newbie

The only car that I think might have the staying power would be a Lotus Espirit. Don't get me wrong I love the NSX ( and have one ) but an 8 cyl non-turbo lotus would probably have a field day. The same might be said for a couple of Porsches (928 s4 comes to mind).
This had been tried but not for the lenth of time you are speaking, on a track in Wisc. A Ferrari, An NSX a Porsche, and 2 racing lotus' (that were set up for this track).
The Ferrari overheated his brakes and was out until they changed the fluid, The NSX stayed with the Lotus' but the Porsche lost a lap.
At the end of just 25 laps the NSX was 3rd behind the two Lotus', The Porsche was back a lap and the Ferrari was out. So, was it luck, the drivers or the cars?
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #98
kevcrx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownsx
The only car that I think might have the staying power would be a Lotus Espirit. Don't get me wrong I love the NSX ( and have one ) but an 8 cyl non-turbo lotus would probably have a field day. The same might be said for a couple of Porsches (928 s4 comes to mind).
This had been tried but not for the lenth of time you are speaking, on a track in Wisc. A Ferrari, An NSX a Porsche, and 2 racing lotus' (that were set up for this track).
The Ferrari overheated his brakes and was out until they changed the fluid, The NSX stayed with the Lotus' but the Porsche lost a lap.
At the end of just 25 laps the NSX was 3rd behind the two Lotus', The Porsche was back a lap and the Ferrari was out. So, was it luck, the drivers or the cars?

I agree, the Lotus would provide serious competition. The Lotus you are referring to may have been turbo-powered (maybe even twin-turbo). 0-60 in mid to low 4 seconds I think, and somewhat of an affordable supercar like the NSX. ($49,000 for used 2000 v8 turbo model on autotrader.com the other day.) No question, the Lotus should jump on top early. But a used bulletproof NSX is the type of car that provides a high level of performance for a very long period of time via VTEC. The Lotus twin turbo should be good for maybe 10? hours, then the horsepower numbers drop gradually due to intense heat. (In F1 racing, top teams such as Honda and Ferrari do not use Turbo because of this drawback.) I think a used 25G NSX with 25 g's of race upgrades will beat an all-motor non-turbo Lotus.
kevcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #99
ediddy310
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ediddy310 Send a message via Yahoo to ediddy310

nsx is the ownly reliable exotic car you can buy and not see too many out there....I would never buy a used ferrari or lambo unless you are crapping money out of your butt......for people that don't know the cost of ownership in owning a ferrari or lambo do some research......also you can get a brand new nsx for 79k.....dealers are usually pretty good a negotiating with the price since they want to sell the car........you will never know until you owned one.......another fellow nsxer owns a ferrari 360 modena and he likes the nsx much more than the ferrari......the nsx will warn you of losing control where the ferrari wont......if you ask people who owned lambos, ferraris, bugattis, mclarens, bentleys, pagona zondas like Mr. gosei of Gruppe M you will know that the nsx is the ownly car that he has kepted over the years and has truly enjoyed.....enuff said......nsxprime.com
ediddy310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #100
crorc
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexSiR
The NSX does not run the quarter mile in 14.3 - 14.8 seconds...WTF?

Look at the numbers in various magazines, look at videos, go to nsx prime and see what guys have ran STOCK.

Nsx 3.0 270 hp run in 13.6 - 13.8 range
Nsx 3.2 290 hp run in 13.2 - 13.4 range
Nsx 3.2 Type R run 13.0s flat
Nsx Type S Zero have ran 12.8 second quarter miles.

The NSX is a mid to low thirteen second car, that is equal to a C5 vette, Bmw M3.

Now, a Mustang V6 cant even beat my civic Si. So how compare it to an NSX. Even comparing a mustang GT is ridicoulous.
OK, for the last time. A NSX is not a 1/4 mile car, period! If I wanted a 1/4 mile car I would have bought a Viper or like car.

In professional racing how many forms are there that a straight line?
Humm, Drag racing,tractor pulls.
How many forms include a curve? Too many to list!
Any fool can mash the pedal.
Sure, there are cars that will beat the NSX in a road course, but for the price I paid for mine, (26k) I can't think of any. I don't think I would spend the 89k for a new NSX when you could get essentially the same car for thousands less.

From car & driver *For all you drag racers:

Car 0-60 1/4 mile C&D issue
Acura NSX-T 4.8 13.4 July '97
Corvette (C5) 5.4 13.6 May '98
Ferrari 355 4.5 13.0 July '95
Lamborghini Diablo 4.5 13.4 Sep '94
Porsche 911 5.3 13.5 May '98
Toyota Supra TT 5.0 13. Aug '97

This is what I have for 26k

It runs perfect and has not one flaw in the body or interior.
Oh, did I mention it is handmade?

crorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #101
broddie50
AF Enthusiast

NSX murdering Vipers at tracks? Don't think so. You want to call the Viper a 1/4 mile car only, only to mag race 1/4 mile times for the NSX? For 26,000 dollars, there are plenty of cars that would murder an NSX at a road course. Put a Viper GTS against an NSX on a road course, with equal drivers, and the NSX is going to be put to sleep. You do own a beautiful car by the way, but for calling Vipers only good for tractor pulls, thats kinda lame. NSX overated....yes.
broddie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #102
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broddie50
but for calling Vipers only good for tractor pulls, thats kinda lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crorc
In professional racing how many forms are there that a straight line?
Humm, Drag racing,tractor pulls.
read carefully

Quote:
NSX overated....yes.
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #103
crorc
AF Newbie

Quote:
NSX murdering Vipers at tracks? Don't think so. You want to call the Viper a 1/4 mile car only, only to mag race 1/4 mile times for the NSX? For 26,000 dollars, there are plenty of cars that would murder an NSX at a road course. Put a Viper GTS against an NSX on a road course, with equal drivers, and the NSX is going to be put to sleep. You do own a beautiful car by the way, but for calling Vipers only good for tractor pulls, thats kinda lame. NSX overated....yes.
1-The Viper is not just a drag car. It is a great all around car. I used the Viper as an example of raw HP. *I didn't mean to imply the Viper is a tractor pull car. Please read post again.

2-I can't think of many cars that cost $26k that would "murder" an NSX.

3-Have you driven an NSX? The experience is so defining, so exact I can't describe it. The car is a wonder to drive slow as well as fast. There are many cars that can beat an NSX at many types of races. My point is that it is a very good road course car, not the best.
It has no suprises. It is an easy exotic to drive. it has wonderful ergonomics and looks to boot. As posted above, would I buy a 05 NSX. No, it is too much $ for what you get. Is it "overated." That is a very subjective question. Obviousley a NSX owner would disagree and someone who has not driven one would agree. Simply a matter of opinion.

Does it go as fast as a C6 Vette-no
Does it corner as good as a nobel-no
Does it have as much HP as many new exotic/sportscars-no
Does it have qualities other than those listed above-yes

Please just drive one and you will see what I'm talking about. The exactness of how it drives will amaze you.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #104
crorc
AF Newbie

This is a well written article on the NSX. It was written by a British Journalist. He just "gets it."

Of course it's only an opinion, but it's an interesting read.

*Misquoted rpm range. Should be 8000 RPM

Honda has abandoned Japanese build values and deigned that the NSX should be handbuilt four-times slower than other Hondas. The car took six years to develop — twice as long as more mundane Japanese machinery, and Honda has drawn deeply from its knowledge of race car engineering. The double-wishbone suspension is cast from aluminium instead of the usual steel. And the suspension was fine-tuned by, among others, Ayrton Senna.
But nowhere is the NSX’s engineering more impressive than in the engine, a quad-cam, 3.0-litre, 24-valve transverse V6 with variable valve timing and induction producing 270bhp at 7100rpm and 210lb ft of torque – remarkable for normal aspiration and just 2977cc.
It is a tour de force worthy of the greatest names in motoring. No question at all, this V6 will be remembered as one of the great powerplants.

On the road

Honda NSX (90-02) Coupe 3.0 2dr -
NSX sacrifices a little grip for benign breakaway
Its comparative lack of torque means the NSX hasn’t the legs of its best opponents. Not that it’s slow; any car that can pass 60mph in 5.8sec and cover the quarter mile in 14.2sec is obviously extremely quick. It’s just that the Porsche, Lotus and Ferrari are faster still. Flat out the NSX flew round Millbrook at an average of 159mph, beating all others, bar the Ferrari at 163mph.
And yet, we would happily lose a little outright speed for an engine like the NSX’s. It has a throttle response that would impress even Ferrari drivers, and real urge over an engine band at least 6000rpm wide. Enjoyment is enhanced hugely by the noise, comparable to no other road car engine in our experience. Anyone familiar with the struggle to cope with a mid-engined supercar’s gearchange will find the NSX’s light, well defined and balk-free gate a revelation.
For the first time, a sporting Japanese car can be bought with a chassis that has a solution to every problem. Most of the time that solution is grip, but it is its forgiving nature that distinguishes the NSX from the rest of the mid-engined brigade.
It has only fractionally less grip than a 348, but because it allows you your mistakes, it inspires more confidence than the snappy Ferrari. Which, in real terms, makes the NSX the faster car.
For most, it will more fun too, as only the exceptionally talented would drift a 348. And mid-engined cars tend to ride well – the NSX is no exception.