Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 AM   #1
jajimo
AF Enthusiast

Launching with an Auto

Sounds stupid I know, but out of curiousity, what would happen if you put it in neutral at the light and revved up then when the light turns green throw it into D4 (or maybe lower)? It doesn't seem like it would be very good for the transmission, but are there any other serious consequences?
jajimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #2
phantomz28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to phantomz28
Re: Launching with an Auto

not good for trannt or gears. but you would peel out just like a manual droping the hammer
phantomz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
SiGNAL748
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SiGNAL748 Send a message via MSN to SiGNAL748
Don't do it.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper

your tranny will get out of the car slap you and then run to the battered womens shelter. its not a good idea. But if its a rental have a blast! also member they hate it when your doing 70 and throw it into R or so i've heard
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
YellowITR479
AF Enthusiast

Neutral Drop!!!
1996 GSR w/ 1995 OBD-1 B18C1, Hondata S200 w/ P61 ECU, LS Tranny w/ Quaife LSD,ClutchMstr Stg 5,T/4 AR .60 w/ HKS Wastegate,RC 660 cc Injectors,Had Throttlebody,Skunk2 Intake Manifold,Eagle Sleeves,JE Pistons, Carrillo Rods,Stock Head & Internals,Thermal 3" Exhaust w/ no Cat,AEM Fuel Rail-Riser-UEGO-Cam Gears-Pullies-Fuel Filter,255 Fuel Pump,MSD 6A,GReddy Front Mount, 2-12's, 3 Amps,MB QuartComponents,Type-R Lip & 00 Head & Tailights,
2000 Integra Type R: Totaled
YellowITR479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
YellowITR479
AF Enthusiast

Funny subject. My boy had an old 92 Integra LS w/ an auto and he would neutral drop it all the time ( I used to laugh my ass off every time he did it ) the car did it so smoothly, it was crazy, i think the car liked it. He never broke the tranny either ( totalled it instead ). My advise is dont do it though even though it is fun.
1996 GSR w/ 1995 OBD-1 B18C1, Hondata S200 w/ P61 ECU, LS Tranny w/ Quaife LSD,ClutchMstr Stg 5,T/4 AR .60 w/ HKS Wastegate,RC 660 cc Injectors,Had Throttlebody,Skunk2 Intake Manifold,Eagle Sleeves,JE Pistons, Carrillo Rods,Stock Head & Internals,Thermal 3" Exhaust w/ no Cat,AEM Fuel Rail-Riser-UEGO-Cam Gears-Pullies-Fuel Filter,255 Fuel Pump,MSD 6A,GReddy Front Mount, 2-12's, 3 Amps,MB QuartComponents,Type-R Lip & 00 Head & Tailights,
2000 Integra Type R: Totaled
YellowITR479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #7
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Do it if you want to fuck up your transmission.

If you want to launch your auto, just flash the converter - off idle.
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
jajimo
AF Enthusiast

Okay so I accidentally did it last night (seriously, it was an accident). I was sitting at a red light with a friend and I put it into neutral and revved up to about 1700 and then I saw the light turned green so I let off and through it into D4 (there were people behind me, so I didn't want to piss them off). It didn't drop down to idle before I put it into D4 so it jumped a little.

Thanks for the info, I definitely won't be doing it (purposefully)!
jajimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
MR2Driver
AF Enthusiast

If you want to launch an auto, hold down the brake and give it gas to keep your revs up, then when its time to go, drop the brakes and floor it
MR2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
Janet Reno
AF Enthusiast

lol isn't that hard on...the brakes? Or the engine or drivetrain or whatever would be envolved?
Janet Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Whenever I launch I just launch off idle. I give it part throttle to get me out the hole and when I feel that the tires hooked up I floor it all the way. When I try to powerbrake before launching, I usually end up smoking the tires.
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #12
megaman277
AF Enthusiast

i would go with the powerbraking approach...cause u can somewhat control where you launch...kinda like launching a stick...and even if it messes up brakes, there a whole lot cheaper than transmissions
megaman277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #13
pizzaman
AF Regular

Holding down the brakes is the way to go. I used to do that in my Gand Am. Replacing brakes is cheaper than replacing the tranny.
pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Reno
lol isn't that hard on...the brakes? Or the engine or drivetrain or whatever would be envolved?
First off it's NOT hard on the brakes or even uses them since it's not slowing the car down. The car is already stopped, so it's just holding it in place, NOTHING of the brake pads/shes is used, so it's in no way bad to them. What it IS bad on is the tranny and also the motor. For the motor it's bad on the mounts since they are what cushin the engine's movement on the chassis. They end up soaking up a bit of the energy building up when doing this. On muscle cars, mounts would BREAK off the frame because those engines would have so much power and torque.

Now for the tranny side, it's bad on the torque converter, because all that energy builds uptinto heat which is the T/Q's number one enemy. If you torque launch as it's called, hold the car still for NO MORE than 10 seconds at a time, or risk frying your torque converter unit. For the stock tranny, a good launch like this can be had by holding the brakes just till the car feels like it's about to start moving. This shold be at about 2200 -2300 RPMs. Then as you take your foot off the brake, mash the accelerator to the floor, and enjoy the wheel spin, tire screeching and tire smoke that proceeds.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
jajimo
AF Enthusiast

Maybe it's because my master cylinder is bad but if I hold down the brakes and press on the gas, the car immediately lurches forward =/

Or, maybe it's all that RAW Honda SOHC 2.2L power!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD