Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Meet the Heavy
AF Newbie

Building the Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR

Hey guys,
first post on the forum and i hope thats the correct place to ask my questions!

I'm planning to build the Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR with aftermarket upgrades.
So far i have the Top Studio Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR 2006 Super Detail-Up Set and the Front Fork Set from Tamiya.
What else do i need? I was thinking about:

Muffler Springs And Metal Hook Hobby Design
Assorted Details for 1:12 MotoGP Bikes Top Studio
MotoGP Photoetched Brake Discs Crazy Modeler (are these suitable for Front Brakes?)
Hi-Definition Composite Carbon Fibre Scale Motorsport
Chain Set Kawasaki ZX-RR Top Studio

Do i need rivets, washers etc, or ar these included in the Top Studio Set?
I'm open to any suggestions!
Meet the Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Building the Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR

Welcome to the forum! Yes, you came to (and asked your question in) the right place. The motorcycle WIP area is really only for threads of motorcycle builds in progress. Other questions (even if they are about motorcycle kits) will be relocated here in the general section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meet the Heavy View Post
What else do i need?
This question really isn't about what you need. It's about what you want.

What the kit needs is a good paint job- but the fork set is a good addition. I would use the Top Studio photoetch sparingly. Often when I'm building a large scale kit with a photoetch supplement, I will use only a few parts from it and leave the rest untouched. (Often I will use etched logos and seatbelt buckles- but rarely grille covers and almost never brake discs.) Very often replacing a well detailed plastic part with etched metal doesn't look nearly as good as the plastic did originally.

What you really need is a bunch of good pictures of the actual bike, and then to study the kit bit by bit. You have to decide if the kit part is great, just adequate, or if it really must be replaced with something that represents the full size part better. And then you have to decide if photoetched metal is the best option of what to replace it with- or can you scratchbuild something yourself as good or better? Photoetch is fantastic in small scales (like 1/72 airplanes or 1/700 ships), but unfortunately often in large scales it looks unconvincing.

On the other hand, some people just love the process of using etched metal. If it is more fun for you, that is a great reason for more detail sets.

Tell us about yourself- how many kits have you built? Have you used a lot of detail sets?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Meet the Heavy
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I have quite a few pictures of the actual bike and additional to that the Tamiya Model Magazin #147.

I'm used to work with PE, i build tons of kits going from 1/35 to 1/700..no bikes or cars though. Most of my builds are super detailed and tiny parts dont scare me off.

I'm still unsure about what else to add, the Crazy Modeler Kits seem to be a waste if i use the Top studion ones..
Meet the Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

If you're new to cars and bikes but not new to modeling, the most important new skill to learn is body shell painting. There is nothing else like it in building armor, planes, or ships- and it can be a bit frustrating to learn at first. Everything else you probably know how to approach from building other things.

To start, use a sandable primer on everything that will be painted body color. Tamiya primer from a spraycan is terrific. Spray it, sand it, spray it, sand it, make it perfect. Completely smooth, even, with no flaws. Once the primer is perfect, apply the body color in light, wet mist coats. Then consider using clearcoat, also in light wet mist coats.

The Top Studio kit seems fairly comprehensive. The only thing it doesn't seem to have is a chain. Some people love the look of a complicated PE chainset- but other find it truly a nightmare to build. (Personally, I skip this one- my favorite bikes are BMW shaft drive. ) If you have the Top Studio, the Crazy Modeler seems like it might be silly to add- unless you see a few parts on it that you really want to add. But study pics of the set first to make that decision.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Meet the Heavy - just a few things I have found - one the crazy modeler brake discs are too large a diameter for the front - the rear one you get in the Top Studio kit. I have a ZX-RR that's been in a WIP state for a long time now - stalled with the Top Studio chain - those things and very difficult to put together, very time consuming. I have also tried a Hobby design vol.1 chain - also without success - put together several sections of the links only to have them come apart at a later time - my ZX-RR build is a covered one "with body panels on" so I only used the $28 Top Studio brief ZXRR detail kit not the $65 one. I did get Zero paints from Hiroboy and I also used some items from RBMotion like rivets - air valves for the wheels etc. PM me if you want some pictures - hope this post can help you - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling