Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird
puting a stereo in a 2000 s type.

Just bought my car recently, and I can't live without a stereo system. But the thing is, I don't know how to take this car apart. I haven't given it much effort, but from the few looks I have given it, it seems quite difficult. I can't find any instruction manuals for the car either.

If you have worked on a stereo for this car, I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Is it possible to take the stereo out of the dash? It all seems to be one piece. I'll cut it out if I have to, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Any advice or tips when removing the door panels?

How do you remove the center console?

Any advice when removing the stock amp and the plastic deck on the underneath of the rear deck?

If I remove the stereo will the car run? I would hate to disable my car and have to take it to the dealer. If it will disable the car, is there a way to get around it?

Does anyone know of an adapter to connect an aftermarket deck to the stock cd changer?

I ordered a wiring harness for installation of a factory deck, but haven't got it yet. If anyone was looking for one, I ordered it off www.nexxia.com It supposedly has smart interfacing which allows you to keep the steering wheel controls for the aftermarket head unit. If anyone wants to know if it works, I will tell you once I get it and install it.

anyways, if anyone answers any of those questions, thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 06-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
92LESABRE
AF Newbie

Re: puting a stereo in a 2000 s type.

hey rick if your looking on how to remove the stuff check www.crutchfield.com they have ecar stereo equipment and you can see how it works
92LESABRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
92LESABRE
AF Newbie

i looked up your car online and it is a basic ford sedan radio so look for the tools to remove ur deck because you shouldnt have to move the dash
92LESABRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird

sorry I should have posted back about this, but I've already taken the deck out and replaced it.
theres inserts on either side, and on the bottom of that center dash area, and I had to pop those out and take out some screws that were underneath them.

Then the whole half moon shaped thingy had to come out because all those pieces were screwed together. I had to take a bar off the top, then take out the tray, and unscrew it from the factory mounts. It was such a bitch. And there does not exist any radio mounting kit for the car so I have to fabricate my own. If you could see the dash you'd know how frustrating that is going to be.

But anyways, I appreciate the time you took to help me out.

but since I've done so much with this car now, let me answer all my own questions.

The half moon radio/ ac controls/ and trays all come out as one piece, but are only screwed together. The radio is independent of the rest.

Taking the door panels out is a bitch. The cups around the door handle are hell to remove and replace. All the rest is easy. There are 2 screws in the bottom of the trays in the armrests, and everything else is just pop tabs. Use something plastic to pop them out. Dont scratch your shit up.

I still don't know how to remove the center console. It remains a mystery to me.

The stock amp in the trunk is mounted to a plastic speaker box which has 5 or 6 bolts holding it to the rear deck. Just unplug the amp and remove the bolts. Its that easy. Its a little heavy for its size, so have someone hold it up while you are unbolting it.

For the 2000 S Type, the radio will NOT disable the vehicle. I drove around for days w/o any dash, it doesnt matter. I have no idea about any other years though.

don't know of any adapters for the stock changer but I decided to get rid of it anyways. It was scratching my cds.

The wiring harness from nexxia only connects the power wires and speaker wires. It in no way shape or form interfaces the steering wheel controls. only 2 of the 4 plugs fit, I have no idea whats up with the other 2. You will lose your center channels speakers and sub speakers (6x8's in the rear deck speaker box) unless you wire in a resistor to the factory amp remote. I believe it was a 5.75k Ohm resistor. Do not hook 12v to the factory amp remote. I believe the amp on the rear deck speaker box is only for those 2 speakers. The amp for the front center channels is somewhere else.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
jag2000
AF Newbie

Re: Re: puting a stereo in a 2000 s type.

Hey Rick, I hope you can answer my question. I have a jaguar s-type 2000. I just put in a aftermarket radio. Now I am having a hard time having my center speaker and sub to work. Can you give me any information on if you finished yours and how you did it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
jag2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: puting a stereo in a 2000 s type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2000
Hey Rick, I hope you can answer my question. I have a jaguar s-type 2000. I just put in a aftermarket radio. Now I am having a hard time having my center speaker and sub to work. Can you give me any information on if you finished yours and how you did it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

The factory head unit puts out a 5 volt signal to the factory amps which control your subs (6 x 8's) and center channels. There are 2 seperate amps for them. You can't hook up a 12 volt remote turn on to those amps. In the last paragraph of my last post, I noted that you would need to use a resistor. If you are handy with a volt meter, try hooking your factory head unit back up, find the factory remote wires, and put a 5.75k ohm resistor in line to them. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, ask someone else to do this for you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type