Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Exclamation porsche 962 long tail 87 rear hatch pictures

Tried google with few lucky, so I try ask here.
I am relaxing trying some surgeon on tamiya 962 short tail, and I want convert it into a long tail car (without using the rear hatch of the 956).
Does anybody have some pictures of the rear back of rothmans car no.17 le mans winner 1987?

thanks in advance, will open a wip soon about this car.

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Re: porsche 962 long tail 87 rear hatch pictures

my unclear problem is that looking at the car in porsche museum, the rear back looks this way:

with a quite large rear plate for small lights, as well as seen on dauer and some restored modern ones..

so basically would like to understand if I should make this way..

or this other slimmer way.. (from MFH 962 made by ric Zanelli)

I honestly already gave the main shape as this mfh second picture (also thrusting so much the fidelity of those models), very similar to rear back of the 956, but of course I am still available to make it bigger, as from another resin conversion I´ve seen time ago around..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
lemansnut
AF Enthusiast

From what I remember and what I can see on pictures, the 1987 car still used the slimmer rear deck. I don't think the tall deck came out until 1988.

Mike
lemansnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lemansnut For This Useful Post:
lovegt40 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
ScaleCentral
AF Regular

There were three different decks outside of IMSA that were used on the 962. One for pre-'87 which was basically the 956 deck. The 1987 deck was the slim one you have posted. In 1988 they came out with the taller one to help with air flow over the rear wheels and out the back. If you look at period pics, the easiest way to tell is the rear wheel opening. If it is somewhat flat with the rounded corners it is the 956ish tail. If is more round with a hump above it in the top of the deck and a slim ending, it is the '87. The '88 tail had an opening that almost a complete circle.
lovegt40 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

so it means I am probably not mistaken in what I am building.
Also I was studying the rear wheel archs (and thats why I didnt want to make a surgeon with 956 tamiya heck) and cause of bigger wheels it looked perfectly rounded, as in this 962 s pics..

so I think I will go for this configuration, in the meaning to build the car. no.17.

interesting discussion btw, I was just thinking things might be sooo easy and clear on 962s..and they are not at all.

It is also very interesting and nice the later heck for Imsa cars, even if studying them seems many many minor differences can be found.

Do u maybe have also any good images of the 2 side radiators? hasegawa ones imho are not convincing, and also there probably the best ones are the parts coming from the 956 models.
Converting tamiya slotcar I must rebuild theme, cause they are mistaken probably for the original motorized version of the 962 they sold in 80s.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

as well as I note only now, on the late long tail heck there is nearly always the second upper naca duct,immediately after the bigger one on the cockpit. while this is not present in early long tails cars...

Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
beaver63
AF Regular

Hi Paolo,
'962 From the Porsche Museum does not match the winning the LM 1987.Winning had narrowed tail

beaver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beaver63 For This Useful Post:
lovegt40 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #8
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

thanks rene, it is anyway at leats curious that in official porsche ag museum they place a "mistaken" car. All my doubts come indeed looking at their car there, while all the pics of the period I found were showing a slimmer rear end. Think it is clear now btw, must go for this option..

Thnks all, starting a wip very soon of this nice car.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
icon_modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
thanks rene, it is anyway at leats curious that in official porsche ag museum they place a "mistaken" car. All my doubts come indeed looking at their car there, while all the pics of the period I found were showing a slimmer rear end. Think it is clear now btw, must go for this option..

Thnks all, starting a wip very soon of this nice car.
It has been said before, never trust a museum or restored car for accuracy. I work for a restoration shop and we are currently doing everything we can to restore 935-001 to the way it crossed the finish line at Watkins Glenn 1976. When we received the car it was said to be all original but after much research we have found many things that have been changed and that are completely wrong. We are doing everything we can to correct this but the guy in charge is not as faithful to the original car as I would like to be. We have referenced the car in the Porsche museum 935-002 as well only to find many things wrong with it as well. The car in the museum has a nose on it that only was used in the first two races of 1976 and practice at LeMans and the wheels are completely wrong for the 1976 car. The engine has also been changed and uses the wrong intake plenum and inter-coolers. I have found that the Porsche museum is among the worst for keeping a car or restoring a car as an accurate representation from the period in which it raced. It is very frustrating that even Porsche is not interested in preserving their own history.
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
beaver63
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon_modeler View Post
It has been said before, never trust a museum or restored car for accuracy. I work for a restoration shop and we are currently doing everything we can to restore 935-001 to the way it crossed the finish line at Watkins Glenn 1976. When we received the car it was said to be all original but after much research we have found many things that have been changed and that are completely wrong. We are doing everything we can to correct this but the guy in charge is not as faithful to the original car as I would like to be. We have referenced the car in the Porsche museum 935-002 as well only to find many things wrong with it as well. The car in the museum has a nose on it that only was used in the first two races of 1976 and practice at LeMans and the wheels are completely wrong for the 1976 car. The engine has also been changed and uses the wrong intake plenum and inter-coolers. I have found that the Porsche museum is among the worst for keeping a car or restoring a car as an accurate representation from the period in which it raced. It is very frustrating that even Porsche is not interested in preserving their own history.
These are very interesting information.
beaver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon_modeler View Post

same feeling I had in one of the last "motor show" in Bologna I visited in late 90s. They made a nice stand with hostess and brand new cars (at the time 996 model) and some of the historical masterpieces were used just like toys there in the background. I well remeber the total uncare of the official porsche 959 paris dakar winner, at the point everybody could open doors,sit inside, move steering wheels, take away the porsche museum tapes, and some also steal parts of the car.

Really incredible the uncare they have of their own history, also quite sad to see what is important probably only for car lovers as we all are.
Of course the stand hosting all this surprising behave was not the italian dealer, but the official porsche ag stuttgard crew...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling