Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
MWKW56
AF Newbie

2000 S type Bucking

I have a early 3.0 V6 2000 S Type that has not been very reliable. It kills the battery about every 12-18 months, in 6 years it has consumed 5 batteries. Each time the alternator checks good and no electrical problems found.

Now the problem is that it bucks under load. Seems like the locking torque converter is locking and unlocking or at least one cylinder is dropping off line. Sometime is runs smooth and then a few minutes later it starts bucking. Initially I had the local Jag dealer download the computer, they told me the car needed a new $1800 throttle body. I took the car home and cleaned the throttle body and a couple days later had the entire intake system machine cleaned. It ran fine for about a month.

Now the bucking has returned, the engine check line goes from steady on to blinking. I am taking the car to a different shop, not a Jag dealer, to get the computer down data next week.

Has anyone encountered this or the eating battery problems?

Please advise

MWKW56

Last edited by MWKW56; 03-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
MWKW56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
MWKW56
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2000 S type Bucking

I forgot to mention the car has 77,000 miles on it. I just finished reading all the S Type threads, they seem to indicate my problem just might be the transmission. If it is and from what I read, I will need a replacement transmission. Will the later 04 transmissions interchange with the 00 versions?

A $6k for a transmission, I will trade it in on a Japanese car that should prove to be reliable. What struck me funny is that the tramsmission in my car lasted as long as it did.

Right now I would not have another Jag is they were free.

I am not a novice at cars, I build Hot Rods as a hobby, so swapping a later model transmission into the earlier version is not a big deal, if the bolt pattern and computer programming is the same.

I love the looks of the car and hate the lack of reliability.

Last edited by MWKW56; 03-01-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
MWKW56
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 S type Bucking

The local repair shop, not the Jag Dealer, determined that #5 coil was bad. I got one from the Jag dealer for around $50.00. Since it was on the driver's side, it took about 10 minutes to replace it. I runs better and the check light was reset. Under hard accelleration it blinked a couple of times then went out. Since this is the wife's car, I only drive it to the car wash, gas station, or the repair shop. The car feels slugish to me, but I drive a Ford Lightning daily, so comparing 385 HP to 240 in the Jag is not fair.

Bottom line, I expected more for what I paid for this car, with only 77K on it, it is disappointing. I had less problems with my 79 Pinto.

Last edited by MWKW56; 03-01-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
MWKW56
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2000 S type Bucking

The engine check light stayed away just one day, now it is back plus now there is a rattling sound coming from the torque converter area.

To me it sounds like something came loose somewhere, the sound is the most profound at idle.

Anyone ever experience this senerio?

Is this thing supposed to self destruct at 77,000 miles?

Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
Aston_Jag_Tech
AF Newbie

You should have taken the S Type to a certified repair shop. When the check engine light is blinking its telling you major emission and component failure is occuring.

When you cleaned the T/B what did you use, Carb Dip from your hot rods? You might have damaged the electrical components.

Scott
Aston_Jag_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:09 AM   #6
Pabloescabarr
AF Newbie

MWKW56 my s-type have that exact same problem. I also took it the the mechanic and they determine that oil is leaking in the plugs. The conclusion to it all is one, number 3 cylinder have low compression and when given gas cause it to misfire. I have a post on this issue you might want to check it out and if you come up with a solution for it i would appreciate it if you keep me inform. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...28#post4128728
Pabloescabarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
philmag1
AF Newbie

Wow you got 77,000 miles on your Jag? Are you sure the tach is not broken?
philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type