Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Shop Owner Advice Discuss various issues relating to running an auto shop with other shop owners/employees.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
honda555
Banned

is there any way to get paint to not peel off of cement floors?

i was wandering if there is any way to paint a cement floor and not have it peel off
honda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
CraigFL
AF Regular

Re: is there any way to get paint to not peel off of cement floors?

I've found that proper paint and proper preparation are the key things to get the paint to stick. Most paints that you see on the market are not the best quality. You need to find a two part industrial quality paint like Rust-Oleum Epoxy 6500 System-- about $100.00 per gallon and follow the directons to the letter.

Craig
Old 07-23-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Yeah, epoxy paint is about all thats going to cut it, and read the directions, most require you to acid etch the floor before applying it. I recently did part of my shop floor in the craftsman floor tiles, I was a little skeptic but I got them at an amazing deal (less than 1/10th the regular cost) and after using them for a while I really like it, stuff drains under it, easy to sweep up, bright color so dropped bolts and stuff show up better. I did have to modify my jackstands so that the bottom is a solid piece so that it dosnt cut into the tiles.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
PBking82
AF Enthusiast

Epoxy is only thing that will last, and like said before follow the directions to the T. Before acid etching make sure you use a quality cement cleaner with a degreeser in it and after cleaning with that, wet the entire floor to make sure there is no oil/greese left. After that use the acid etcher wash off, then let dry completely. When I did mine it just happened to start raining literatly 5 mins after i finished etching the floor and continued for 2 dats. Had to have 4 massive black&decker fans blowing on the floor 24hours for 3 days. I used rustoliums epoxy-shield becuase i only needed 2 gallons and it was the cheapest i could get (about $250 after all was said and done i.e. cleaners, brushes, rollers, etc..) Came out insansly good. Last time when i changed my oil i spilt a decent amount on the floor and it washed right up with water, didn't even need a degreaser, and it didn't leave any stain. A couple bad things about it are when i did mine i made it anti-slip and if you follow the directions you end up putting way too much silica in it and it tends to clump up. Also, make sure you have 2 people for every gallon or only mix a 1/2 gallon at a time, because by the time you get to the last like 1/6 of the gallon with only one person painting, it gets really tacky and is almost impossible to finish(i got real lucky.) Over all finish is great, made my garage like the nicest room in the house. All i need to do is throw a small furnace in there and it'll fit for living. Peace-
PBking82 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice