Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Cool How often do I see a photo of an F1 I can't identify?

Almost never!!

Take a look at this!!!!

This feels like the day I found my first shot of Flemke's F1.

For starters, I must thank a user of FChat (jgcferrrari) who PMd me with a link to this. I'm sure one of us would have tripped over it eventually, but it's nice to know there are others out there looking out for our cause.

Unfortunately the description on ExoticSpotter has very little detail beyond it's location and the date the photo was supposedly taken.

ES Link: Mclaren F1 - Culiacan, Mexico - 05/25/2004

My initial impression is that this could be #029 or #039. Although there are some screenshots from a video which could be #039, neither car has ever been positively identified with photos to my knowledge.

#029 - 25th built - Brazilian Brown Metallic (last built in 1994)

#039 - 32nd built - Creighton Brown

Of course this could be a refit of almost any car throwing any theories of color determining the chassis number right out the window.

The gold colored wheels are certainly unique.

His note that came through read:

Quote:
Knowing that you are a McLaren expert, I want to ask you if you have any information on the car pictured in the link, it says it is located in Culiacan, Mexico and it wouldn't suprise me because it is a place full of Drug Lords.

Thanks in advance
My response went like this:

Quote:
Wow!! It's pretty rare that I see a photo of an F1 I have never seen, and even rarer that I see a picture of a car I can't identify.

I had thought there might be a silver F1 in Mexico, but didn't know anything about it. This car is definitely a surprise!!

As far as cars we aren't familiar with, this could be #029 or #039. Very little is known about either chassis. The first car was originally painted Brazilian Brown Metallic and the second one was listed as being painted Creighton Brown.

This color looks similar to Brazilian Brown, but I was told that car was actually repainted silver shortly after it was built as the color was not appealing.

Anyway, I really appreciate you sending me the link. I'm not sure if you live in Mexico, but if you can find out anything more on your own I'd love to hear about it. Just don't get yourself killed by the Drug Lords in the process.

Brazilian Brown is an original color on the Mercedes Benz palette - here's the only photo I have ever managed to find of it on a car though:

Not an exact match as the ExoticSpotter car seems to have more red in its paint, but differing exposure values could be playing tricks on the camera or maybe the Mercedes color pallette wasn't used. The one person who had seen the Brazilian Brown car described it as being similar to a UPS truck when it was completed - that certainly fits the description of the F1 in that photo from my perspective. They were also the one who claimed that the car was repainted though.

Of course sharp eyed viewers will have noticed one very strange/interesting detail about this car. It's not wearing a Mexican license plate, but instead wears a UK Reg plate that is identical to the one worn by David Clark's GTR #06R:

Please explian that one to me....

Sorry for rambling - I just figured I would get the discussion started with everything I could think of. Your turn...

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 04-13-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Re: How often do I see a photo of an F1 I can't identify?

It gets a little more confusing....1996?

mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

That is quite interesting. It would seem the plate belongs to the car in the ExoticSpotter photo based on the color referenced in the registration.

Assuming the "Year of Manufacture" is accurate, there were only 7 road cars produced in 1996. That helps narrow things down for sure.

#047 - in the BMW Mobile Tradition Museum in Germany - not an option

#051 - well known dark green F1 - recently spotted in Japan, now apparently in the UK - not an option

#049 - Juan Barazi's F1 in the UK - not an option

#048 - believed to be the Blue car spotted in Monaco with Swiss registration several years back - currently MIA

#052 - Some screenshots from a video possibly showing it under build - currently MIA

#055 - One of Ralph Lauren's road cars - not an option

#060 - Probably the yellow car seen in Japan. Didn't look like it was going anywhere anytime soon. - I'd say not an option

Hmmmm.... opcorn:

>8^)
ER
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

I came up with a plausible theory on the plate.

This photo of the brown car was supposedly taken in May 2004. Photos of GTR #06R wearing that number plate are more recent - some within a few months like the one I posted above, but the oldest one I have only dates back to June 2005.

Chris - I assume you gathered those registration details from the DVLA site today? One would hope it is current, making it seem strange that the GTR and this road car would share a plate, but what if that info was out of date?

I can only assume that maybe once the road car went to Mexico and was registered there, it surrendered the plate to the GTR owner who eventually arranged to use it on his GTR and maybe the government site was never updated?

>8^)
ER
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Our friend from FChat works AMAZINGLY quick.

<-- Click for hires

A couple more quotes I will share from him:

Quote:
It is really a surprise for me too. Im pretty much involved in the exotic car world in Mexico and know more or less what cars are in Mexico who owns them etc.. and had never known about a McLaren. The other thing that surprises me is that this car is in Culiacan a fairly small town that is run by drug lords, and this guys usually have no taste whatsoever and would prefer to buy an Escalade with spinners or a purple Lamborghini so this is really strange.
Well, it is BROWN with GOLD wheels - probably not everyone's first choice.

Quote:
I have been searching in mexican car forums, and I found some good information, the information is on a forum where they talk about japanese import cars and know nothing about european cars.

They say the car is in Culiacan as the picture suggests, the car is owned by a drug dealer by the nickname of "robachivas" his real name I think was Ricardo Beltran, they say this guy was killed some time ago they burned him or something like that. I cant imagine what someone like this would do to a Mclaren most of them are people with no education and really bad taste, and would not know what a Mclaren means, but anyway.

Another guy says in the forum that the car has been stored because since this guy was killed they cant find any keys for the car, again this might be or might not be true, I have sent him a message to see what I can get, and to confirm if the car is still in Mexico.

I have got another picture of the car where you can see it better and in higher resolution, It is a brown color with gold rims, and the car behind has Culiacan plates so this confirms that this car is really in Mexico.
The last statement references the photo above. I guess the plates on the Accord are definitely from that area of Mexico proving that the location mentioned on ExoticSpotter was accurate.

Hopefully he'll have the chassis number by tomorrow.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-22-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Thorst13
AF Enthusiast

Interesting stuff, I will pay close attention to this tread!
Thorst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

^^ I think we all will!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

My eyes are glued to it, and I'm the one that posted it.

It's not every day, every month, or even every year (lately) that such a unique looking McLaren F1 comes along none of us have ever seen before. What a real treat!

I do hope we can learn more about it and see some better photos of it, even if the chassis number remains a mystery for a while.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
F1 monster
AF Enthusiast

Re. the plate, it might just be a made-up plate that was used by McLaren. The front one got shipped out with the car, and the owner kept it on. A lot of people like to leave European or Japanese license plates on their imported cars. The rear one was left behind in England, apparently, and used on the Harrods car. If it is a valid registration, all they would have had to do is get a new front plate made up. Takes 10 minutes and 10 pounds.

I tend to believe the story of the car getting repainted quite quickly, so I would think this is the other chassis. It probably needs a complete overhaul of the engine and all rubber hoses and seals if it has been sitting for so long. What a sad waste. And what a story!

Last edited by F1 monster; 01-22-2007 at 05:25 AM.
F1 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Interesting find Erik,

The dark brown car in the pic is the ex Creighton Brown car. It is exactly as described to me by someone who has seen the car. On description, his words were "a very dark brown". There is also a strong possibilty he may have some photos of his factory visit. I shall contact him and find out more!!
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
F1 monster
AF Enthusiast

Le Man, ask him if he remembers the wheels.
F1 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Man
Interesting find Erik,

The dark brown car in the pic is the ex Creighton Brown car. It is exactly as described to me by someone who has seen the car. On description, his words were "a very dark brown". There is also a strong possibilty he may have some photos of his factory visit. I shall contact him and find out more!!
Great to hear those details.

I assume you meant to say that you believe this is chassis #039, but when you say "ex Creighton Brown car" are you implying that this car belonged to him at one point?

>8^)
ER
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Noddy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25

I assume you meant to say that you believe this is chassis #039, but when you say "ex Creighton Brown car" are you implying that this car belonged to him at one point?

>8^)
ER
If he did indeed own it perhaps it went to Brazil with him - and to Mexico through his South American Sportscars venture?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Brown with gold wheels - Possibly the worst F1 i've seen to date

But its another to add to my thread - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=643083 so for the pic!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25

>8^)
ER
To clear the slight confusion. This was Creighton Browns own F1, not sure about the wheel colour though, but I will ask.

Some confusion reins over the colour title of Creightons car. While in discussion with my friend on his stand at the Autosport show, He stated his visit to the factory was at the end of 94 and if he had called a week later he would not have been allowed in, because of the start of the genesis GTR build ie 04R onwards. Making Creightons car #029 (Brazilian brown metallic) Thus not being the car with the colour named after him, #039. I shall call him tomorrow at his office and find out more.
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1