Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
K87
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to K87
why doesn't my heater work?

just wondering if anyone knows wat could be wrong with my heater to make it not work. i've only owned the car for a few months now, and the heater has never worked. wondering if mayb its a fuse problem, or i dunno. i dont have air con as it is, but the little heater function should still work, rite?
K87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Reeder113
AF Newbie

Re: why doesn't my heater work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K87
just wondering if anyone knows wat could be wrong with my heater to make it not work. i've only owned the car for a few months now, and the heater has never worked. wondering if mayb its a fuse problem, or i dunno. i dont have air con as it is, but the little heater function should still work, rite?
Check out your thermostat. They're cheap (probably between $5 and $10), and they're fairly easy to replace. You may need a new one. A broken fan belt, water pump, or leaking antifreeze can also cause your heater to stop working, but if it were any of those your car would probably overheat, which is why I'm leaning towards the thermostat.
Reeder113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
jcaxe
AF Newbie

Check the water level in the radiator?
jcaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Even if the thermostat was stuck fully open, the coolant would still get warm enough that you would feel some heat coming out from the vents near your feet - unless you had some other problem. I dont know about 96 Excels, but if you have the selector lever set so that fresh air is brought into the car - you would feed some warm air flowing, just by buzzing along the highway: Even if the fan wasnt working at all. It wouldnt be much though.

Another thing to check; do you get any heat to the defroster outlets on top of the dashboard? Thats usually where the air goes if the heater is vacuum operated, and there is no vacuum. In that case, look for a vacuum hose that has come loose, either under the hood or under the dash. The heater in my 87 is all operated by little cables. If I had no heat I would assume it was a clogged heater core, or a broken 'door' inside the heater. A remote possibility is that someone bypassed the heater (this isnt too hard to do by re-routing hoses behind the engine). Bypassing a heater usually means the heater core was leaking.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
buyadvice
Banned

A car engine when in function produces lot of heat and when this excess amount of heat is produced and when this excess amount of heat is not removed the engine gets destroyed. It’s the car cooling system that removes the excess heat and saves your vehicle. Because your car’s heating system and cooling system works simultaneously, the heating system malfunctions are caused by the problems in the cooling system.
buyadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
vickyhooper
Banned

A low coolant level (often due to a leak or weak radiator cap), but may also be the result of not getting the cooling system completely filled. If you've just recently changed the antifreeze, check the coolant level in the radiator to see if the radiator is full. An air pocket in the heater core or a heater hose may be interfering with the flow of coolant through the heater core. One way to tell if the coolant is circulating through the heater core is to feel both heater hoses. Both the inlet and outlet return hoses should feel hot when the engine is at normal operating temperature and the heater is on.
vickyhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
noname22
AF Newbie

ust wondering if anyone knows wat could be wrong with my heater to make it not work. i've only owned the car for a few months now,
noname22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Excel