Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > March | Micra |Cube
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 02:35 AM   #1
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

Super Turbo - How does it work?

I have to admit there is a gap in my knowledge of forced induction systems, and the March Super Turbo is right in the middle of it. In the States, running two types of compressors is usually called Twincharging, and for a while HKS sold a kit that turned a Supercharged Toyota MR2 into a Twincharger. The thing is, these cars are rarely smooth. The transition from s/c to turbo is never terribly subtle, and does not give the most holy "linear torque curve" that is the whole point of twincharging. I pretty much gave up on the idea of twincharging after seeing one of the Toyota's myself, until I heard about the March Super Turbo.

I know from reading little tidbits that it is genuinely twincharged and has very good power delivery and, best of all, a smooth transition between compressors. So, how does Nissan accomplish this? I'd like as much detail as you can muster on the system. This is not idle curiosity; such a setup may someday appear on my car. I'd love to be able to upgrade to a full T04E turbo, but it's not going to happen without something to bring up the bottom end. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Holyterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:12 AM   #2
deeNismo
AF Newbie

superturbo

hmm i own a superturbo and guess what? the power was superb and nothing much problem. Fuel consumption also not bad at all. OK firstly the supercharger was used to prevent lag before turbocharger start. supercharger will help you while in lower rpm and when you reach 4000 rpm tubocharger will engaged and supercharger will automatically shut down. Until now still experimenting with the system. Guess what you cab call it a vtec eater ass well
Old 10-23-2003, 01:47 AM   #3
nevomr2
AF Newbie

i's like to understand how the "twincharging" system works on the march - can someone explain it to me? can you post pics/diagrams?

the reason i want to know is because i'm on the process of twincharging my mr2 and i'm stuck between two designs...

thanks.
nevomr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
March_Ed
AF Newbie

Re: Super Turbo - How does it work?

The supercharger on the March ST has a differential by pass valve which compares its boost to the turbo and slowly opens when the turbo boost exceeds that of the supercharger, then switching off the supercharger allowing a smooth transition between the two. Its not perfect but it does work pretty damn well. I know - I own one! Just out of interest I just had my march ST dyno'ed at 171bhp@5500 rpm. Thats from a 930cc engine..
March_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #5
March_Ed
AF Newbie

just to add I can be contacted at af@micra.org.uk.

Ed
Old 04-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
bwububble
AF Newbie

hi guys..

i've got a 2003 k12..

so far i've put a remus muffler, k&n drop in filter, electrical grounding, white headlites in.. these are the performance upgrade..

i'm pretty excited to read about the superturbo and was wondering how i could get one?

i live in singapore and cars here are super expensive! the march was ideal cuz of the size(or lack of it) and price..

next i'm gonna get a custom fabricated extractor done and a cold air intake..

i would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me about the superturbo! feel free to email me at bwububble@hotmail.com..

peace
mark
bwububble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #7
projectn13
AF Newbie

hrmmm its so hard to find a march st, in australia, plus how much do u think they would go for???
projectn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
March_Ed
AF Newbie

I saw one for sale recently for around 10,000AUS I think. Cant remember now it was on a google link i found to an aus importers (not much use for me im in the UK)