Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
RDO
AF Newbie

Turn Signal Trouble

I am having a problem with the passenger side front turn signal light.
At first it would not function when cold, although the 4-way flashers would cause the bulb to blink. When the outside temp was above 75 degrees F then the turn signal would work OK. Now it seems to have failed all together and will not come on at all and will also not flash when the 4-way flashers are turned on either.
Someone had suggested that the turn signal switch could be at fault, but I can not explain that in light of the exterior temperature having an effect on it's operation prior to it's complete failure.
Does anyone have a similar experience and/or a fix? Or maybe even a good idea? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

RDO
RDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
kob83
AF Newbie

If it doesn't work at all now I would try a new bulb. I've had trouble with other vehicles (not my intrigue) similiar to that and it was fixed with either a new bulb, or when I had the temperature thing I had to replace the entire plug. It had something to do with the bulb making contact when the plug contracted and expanded with the temperature change.
kob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:11 PM   #3
pcv
AF Regular

Replacing the bulb is your first step. Make sure the socket is nice and clean. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

When you have this problem what are your turn signal indicators on the cluster doing? Do they light up? Do they flash? Or are they out also?
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 AM   #5
RDO
AF Newbie

I had replaced the bulb when this problem first appeared, however I can try again. Did not think about socket expanding/contracting, I guess that is possible.
As far as what is happening on the cluster, when the signal is working all appears normal. When not working the cluster acts like one of that turn signal's bulbs is open. I get the "fast flash" when using it in that direction.
Also, just some more info.... that bulb is a dual filament bulb. The other section of the bulb is not affected. It always has worked and continues to work.
Thanks everyone! If there are any other ideas or suggestions please post them!!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
RDO
AF Newbie

Thanks to kob83!!
I looked rather close at the socket and it looked as if it had been making marginal contact with one of the bulb leads (small arcing marks). So I bent the lead of the bulb out a bit to ensure a solid connection. Well it's been 4 days and no problems, and it has been cool enough that before it would have quit functioning.
Love my Intrigue (again) LOL

Thanks!!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
fredly
AF Newbie

Lightbulb turn signal problems

After replacing both bulbs many times (some lasting only a day), and cleaning and re-adjusting the contacts, the dealer suggested that if the socket is dry to apply 'electrostatic grease', a clear ointment, which he supplied at no cost.

That solved the problem and it has been 3 months now without a recurrance.
fredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
beboetk
AF Newbie

Re: Turn Signal Trouble

the problem is the flasher/turn signal circuit, when the a/c is on the turn signals will not work at all, well, that happened to my 01 intrigue. I took it to the dealer an they replaced the flasher/turn signal ciruit and the problem is gone. good luck.
beboetk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
kmohr3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kmohr3
Re: Turn Signal Trouble

Most likely you will need the entire socket. This happened on my daughter's '98 intrigue. (It was the right front one, too). The socket from the dealer was about 20 bucks, you can just splice the new one in w/ connectors. Sometimes they will start to melt a little.
kmohr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
fredly
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Turn Signal Trouble

As a side note, I had to replace the complete light arm assembly that controls the high-beam because they would flash anytime, even in daylight when the lights were not on.

For the bulbs, I had to go to long-life bulbs and ensure the socket was lubricated and the contacts were properly aligned.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
paulkramer
AF Regular

fredly - those high beams are supposed to flash during the day.....it's called "flash to pass".....something American drivers apparently don't understand since most of them won't pull out of the left lane to save their lives. I hope you didn't pay much for that "repair"!!

Frequent fliers at this site must know by now that Intrigue turn signal/drl/parking lamp sockets are prone to fail.....they do a lot of work since they are always on for one duty or another.
paulkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:14 AM   #12
fredly
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Turn Signal Trouble

thanks Paul... I should clarify... the high-beams came on by themselves when the regular lights were not on (during the day). It was especially apparent on cold mornings on my way to work. The part was quite expensive; but luckily my son is a mechanic and got the part wholesale and did the work in his spare time.

I do not use the 'flash to pass' except if the passing lane is blocked by a slow-moving lane hog since most Canadians are offended by the 'flashing'.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #13
paulkramer
AF Regular

Glad to hear that you didn't spend all that money needlessly!! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So Canadians are much like their southern neighbors, eh? Easily offended, even when they are causing offense? LOL, I am afraid to honk my horn in Mid-Michigan for fear of either causing a heart attack and/or being dragged out of my car and beaten (as almost happened with some road-repair cretin when I honked at him for pulling out in front of me)! Not like New Jersey, that's for sure!
paulkramer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue