Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
uintahguy
AF Newbie

Grease for Timing Belt Tensioner

Anyone know what type of grease to use on the timing belt tensioner.

2000 Trooper
uintahguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
boritz
AF Regular

Re: Grease for Timing Belt Tensioner

The timing belt tensioner (called the pusher by Isuzu) is non-serviceable and is hydraulic. It sits behind the belt covers. The pulleys have sealed bearings.

Are you are thinking about the drive-belt tensioner? My 1997 3.2V6 has three belts, yours may have a single serpentine belt. In any case, the tensioner(s) have sealed bearings.
boritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
uintahguy
AF Newbie

I didn't explain the question very well in my first post. I was in a hurry.
The timing belt tensioner pulley pivots on a bolt. I was wondering if I need to grease the bolt assembly?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
boritz
AF Regular

Right...gotchya.

Not normally; but a *little* grease wouldn't hurt it.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
uintahguy
AF Newbie

thanks for your response....The old timing belt tensioner had worn unevenly (pivot point and bolt assembly) and was dry. I added a thin coat of grease to the new one.....we'll see how it looks in a 100K.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
HelpPleaseThanks
AF Newbie

Hi All, What I have is not so much a reply as info needed, please? 1997 Isuzu Trooper LTD 3.2L 4x4. My son replaced the three belts on the front of the engine. He had a heck of a time with one of them and in the process also broke what he thinks may be a tensioner/adjuster on/for the Alternator Belt. When he tried to loosen it, it broke and now I can't locate one anywhere (local parts store or junk yard as in junk yards alternators and surrounding parts are all gone) nor can I locate the part online due to not even sure if we are calling it the correct name.

In order to remove one of the belts and replace it he had to remove the line for the power steering fluid so it would have enough room to put the belt back on the pulley. Needless to say he got the fluid all over the new belt and it has not stopped squeaking upon start-up since because he didn't put a rag first to catch the fluid.

1. Do you know if the nut and bolt sort of assembly is a necessary item, do I have to have it?

2. Do you know the correct name of it so I can buy the necessary part?

3. Do you know what other vehicles parts may also fit this, I am aware of the Pathfinder and Acura - but Acuar what?

4. Do you feel that due to the fluid all over the belt that it is allowing it to slip and squeak (or the broke part that my son's friend didn't think it needed) and does so until it grabs well enough for the volt meter to attain 14 volts again from a starting point of 11 or twelve due to the slipping?

5. Do you feel that due to the soaking of power steering fluid it is best to buy another belt, clean everything up and put it on? I tried using dish detergent, bar soap, and belt dressing and all give a temporary fix to the squeak, but not the voltage drop at start-up. At the start-up if you idle up at all the voltage does a dip. New alternator and starter last year. Once it is started and it is gripping all is fine and the volts read 14, that is till you shut down and start it again and go through the same all over again. I had no problems with voltage at all till the belts change and the above explanation.

Any suggestion's or a fix for this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much, these forums have saved us so namy times and we are hoping it will once again! Have a great day/night!
HelpPleaseThanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
boritz
AF Regular

Your parts questions are too hard to answer without photos.

Try checking the diagrams and part descriptions on http://www.myisuzuparts.com

Also, try http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/ where the USA Isuzu gurus lurk

As for contaminated belts - I'd replace them if cost is not the main issue.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard