Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Does Amsoil really live up to all the claims?
Yup, true blue, good to their word 1 33.33%
Ehh, its darn good oil, but no better than Mobil 1 synthetic 2 66.67%
Golly, its crap; no better than Quaker State 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

non-biased opinions on Amsoil

For reasons to be discussed later, I need to know a little more about the oil. I have reams of technical data on their oils from the company itself, but I wondered if those claims hold up under real world tests. Generally I always heard incredible things about the oil, but now I heard some not so good news about the company and that some of their claims are not very accurate. If I can find the truth about the oil itself, I'd feel better.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
public
AF Enthusiast

Re: non-biased opinions on Amsoil

I used to use back in the 80's when I had a muscle car. Never had any issues. As for tech data, can't really help you there. The motor didn't blow so I assume it was working. Back then we really didn't get to technical. Just a cam and dual quads to make it go zoom-zoom. Fine tuned by ear.

Yes, I am retarded.
public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
bjdm151
AF Regular

I haven't seen much of the data, but from what i heard it is all from test performed by the company. Not an "independent study." I can't really comment from any experience with them either, I just know my boss isn't really to fond of it.

BJ
bjdm151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Iv crewed on a Rally car that ran perfectly on it, at least we never had any oil related problems.
The guy who owned the car used to use it in his road car as well, and gave me a free oil change worth for my old triumph, which certianly didn't complain.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

OK, thanks. I have been thinking about becoming a dealer is why I asked. The bottom line is that I've heard incredible things about their oils, but their sales structure is a little too pyramid-ish for me. It really cheapens the product.

Its one of those that you sign up as a dealer, then you sign up preferred customers and dealers under you and your commissions increase. I assumed a company like Amsoil would be distributed like a normal (if not exclusive) retail process, but I feel like a door to door salesman if I do it this way.

Don't get me wrong its a great opportunity and despite its structure there is really nothing shady about it. They say right in their literature that if you want to you can just become a dealer for the cheap oil and never sell anything else.

Thanks for the input folks
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
SnoopisTDI
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SnoopisTDI
I've never heard any complaints about their oil that I can recall. My main issue is that their oils(most of them) are "rated" for this or that, but they are not "certified." I don't care how they rationalize that, if my car's manual says my oil has to be API certified CI-4, then the possibility of using Amsoil and having a warranty issue declined later down the line because it was only rated by Amsoil to be similar to CI-4, but not actually certified... I'll stick with my Mobil 1. I think that issue just sets off a lot of warning bells for people.
SnoopisTDI is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical