Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
360spider
AF Moderator

1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 - Bayside Blue Godzilla

This build will hopefully take less than 10 years. Can’t promise though. 😊

Anyway….so after building that…lets call it “challenging” ABC Dino kit, I decided I needed to build something that actually fit right, didn’t have to be re-worked, and had plenty of reference material to build properly. So, old, well-fitting and nicely designed, trouble free Tamiya kit seemed like a good start, right?

Wanted something simple. Picked up this R32 kit on eBay the other day - always liked these Skylines, my brother had one back in the 90’s, and I currently am seriously considering bringing one to Texas. So this felt like a good choice:

The kit itself requires no introduction, it did however arrive slightly damaged, with roof squished in, and radiator support bracket snapped. Had to repair both pillars and the bracket before proceeding – turned out just fine, luckily was a clean break:

Body was primed with Tamiya grey, artifacts sanded off, ready for color coat:

I picked Bayside Blue for the color, had the paint from Zero Paints sitting in the box for 10 years. Stunning color. Cleared with Dupont Chromaclear. Polished with Tamiya coarse, 3M finish, and Treatment model wax for shine.

Had a few tiny specs land on the clear, but luckily was able to polish those out:

Then long and tedious process of cleaning up all the parts – remove parting lines, fill the sink holes, cut the burrs – you know the drill. Bunch of black and aluminum/metal parts painted:

Started with the engine. It’s a nicely designed powerplant, lacking detail by modern standards, but still good. I wish they would give the lettering in the middle of the cam cover as a decal, but they didn’t, had to paint it and well… I’m not very good at detail work anymore, came out ok I guess, filled in couple of letters there.

Will spare you progress shots, but here are few pix of the engine before I stuffed it into the front subframe carrier – added some minor details like fuel rail, coil pack harness, couple of vacuum hoses, some hose clamps, etc.

Surprisingly good level of engraving on some parts, but then its Tamiya after all. Engine is mounted on the subframe carrier:

Next, I started working on the chassis. After studying several underside pictures, I painted it with some primer showing through in the mid-section, cause most cars I saw had that portion rustproofed or some such, and it was this grey-yellowish color, so I thought that was a good way to replicate that finish. Turned out great. Decided to add some heat shielding before installing the engine and suspension:

Installed front subframe and other suspension bits in the front:

Same with the rear suspension/fuel tank/exhaust :

Overall, I think it looks great, will still add few bits here and there, but I’m trying not to get carried away, as this was planned as a “box-stock” kinda build….

Finally, couple of the shots of the engine bay as it sits right now. A bit bare, but there are still a few additions that I plan to fill up the empty spots. There are few little bits that I have already added there – drilled out front shock mounts and added strut stocks sticking through, battery cables, etc.

So this is where I am at the moment.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
endac
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 - Bayside Blue Godzilla

Looks great so far. I was never a huge fan of the R32 but I do think they look good with the R34 bodykit
endac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to endac For This Useful Post:
360spider (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Wow, looking great so far!
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to potsie For This Useful Post:
360spider (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by endac View Post
Looks great so far. I was never a huge fan of the R32 but I do think they look good with the R34 bodykit
Strange that you mention it. I was always such a huge R32 fan, but even I have to admit, it does look a bit...funky and weird, in a Japanese weird sort of way, you know?
Old 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
ssasho0
AF Newbie

Thats quite a progres and it looks great
ssasho0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
endac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
Strange that you mention it. I was always such a huge R32 fan, but even I have to admit, it does look a bit...funky and weird, in a Japanese weird sort of way, you know?
Yeah I know what you mean. For me it was always the R33 that was my favourite
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

LOVE this one in Bayside Blue!

What a great kit to work on getting more of your groove back.

Terrific paintwork (as always), and the engine detailing looks great. But throw some BMF or paint or the like on that oil filler cap. It's crying out for something.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post

LOVE this one in Bayside Blue!

What a great kit to work on getting more of your groove back.

Terrific paintwork (as always), and the engine detailing looks great. But throw some BMF or paint or the like on that oil filler cap. It's crying out for something.

I don't know man, yours looks more like Estoril to me....
I'm sure its just different lighting, my pictures are actually a bit dark.

I thought about the oil cap. Its black on the actual car, but maybe you are right, it does sort of blend in like that.

Did you finish yours or is is still in the works?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Nah, genuine CobraColors Nissan Bayside Blue. Perhaps my photography skills have not represented it as well as possible. (I can tell you, looks spot on in person...)

Finished? Heh. Let's say it's poised for more progress. But there are some other projects in line ahead of it. Speaking of Estoril, I gotten my hands on some Techno Violet and have put it to good use. Perhaps I can manage some more crappy pics of another pretty color.

If you'd use it, I'd be honoured to send you a machined billet replacement for that oil cap- you'd have to drill out or otherwise remove the original.
360spider (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
Nah, genuine CobraColors Nissan Bayside Blue. Perhaps my photography skills have not represented it as well as possible. (I can tell you, looks spot on in person...)

Finished? Heh. Let's say it's poised for more progress. But there are some other projects in line ahead of it. Speaking of Estoril, I gotten my hands on some Techno Violet and have put it to good use. Perhaps I can manage some more crappy pics of another pretty color.

If you'd use it, I'd be honoured to send you a machined billet replacement for that oil cap- you'd have to drill out or otherwise remove the original.
Andy, appreciate the offer - I'll shot you my snail mail.

Speaking of Techno - I know you have a soft spot for E36, and couple of years ago I had a chance to buy a 1999 Dakar Coupe. The car was rough, but very original, so I took a chance (it was listed on Craigslist in San Francisco), so I bought it sight unseen over the phone!) and flew to pick it up and drove it for 26 hours non-stop to Dallas. What a car!

Me and my kiddo have since spent countless hours and lots of $$ to bring it back to former glory, restoring pretty much every area of the car. Its in immaculate condition now:

So, needless to say, if I'm ever building an e36 kit - it will be Dakar!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
endac
AF Enthusiast

That's a beautiful looking E36 Alex. I have a Boston Green 318is and an Estoril Blue M3 Evo myself. E36 owner group build for the future?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Sweeeet! That is gorgeous.

I still have my '95. Avus blue, the year before they went to Estoril. But I do have a recommendation if you need some Dakar. I had good luck with an online touch up paint service. Not the cheapest way to go, but a very nice match. Soon as I take some pics, I'll write up a review.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
360spider
AF Moderator

Thanks gents!
Yes, I would be all up for a E36-owners build! not sure how many would participate though, but we don't have to limit it to owners, but owners have to build replicas of their cars! I like the idea, even have Dragon kit of the M3 ready to go. Need to source some Contours, which might be a problem, though.

Andy, I have some Dakar left - I had some mixed up locally for touch-ups and stuff. And since it is a solid paint, no worries about using it on a model.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Why do I get the feeling you're trying to get me to post here again?

E36 Group Build? Fine- bring it! But I can't say I'll limit myself exclusively to E36s that I own.

I think that USCP might have done a set of Contours. I'd give Nosfer a PM. I got a set of these not more than a year or two ago for an E34, they look pretty good painted up.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Done.

I didn't quite realize how small it would be.

I colored it with a red sharpie to give it an anodized look. You can clean it off and leave it bare, or go with whatever color you like.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street