Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
DDV
AF Newbie

1989 351i stops

I got a 1989 325i Automatic, Coupe (170,00 miles)it was serviced per the BMW service lights on dash since I got the car in 1991 (52,000 miles. It had been running fine, never had a problem when it was put in storage for four or five years. Two years ago this month it was taken out of storage and serviced. But ever since it has never run right, it stops as if it runs out of fuel. Wait a minute or two and it will restart on the first crank or the second crank. Only one time it refused to start. That is one of the times I had it towed. It fired right off on the first crank the dealer told me. It never mis-fired before it stops. I put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle switch and canister switch. ($400.00 to $500.00 worth of parts). I ran out of ideas what could be wrong. I took it to a BMW dealer three times (total tow bill $500.00) and (total BMW bill $2,400.00.) The car still run a couple of days then it just stops. I don’t know what to do next. New fuel pump, Distributor cap, wires, plugs etc. and a reconditioned commuter It has to be something that is a rare malfunction. The car is not worth what I have already spent on repair bills. ($3400.00) Any help, any idea what could be the problem? I don’t want to just cut my losses and junk it.
Darrell
DDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Broken-wrench
AF Newbie

Re: 1989 351i stops

This is just an educated guess, but I would venture to say it is a fuel related problem. Unless you totaly drained & purger your fuel system, something has gone south in there. Could be in the lines, or the fuel pressure regulator could be contaminated with old hard varnish spots. I would try to fuel up with CHevron PREMIUM fuel & add some Redline fuel injector cleaner thru the car. Get a fresh fuel filter to change out after 3 tanks or so. Use a good premium fuel with fuel system cleaner & see what happens. If this doesn't do it, try another BMW dealer and keep a log of everything that happens so they have a better idea where to look.
Broken-wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
euromech
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to euromech

Check the multiplug in front of the starter motor under the intake manifold. It twists apart, and BMW have issued a Tech Bulletin about corrosion inside the plug.
euromech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
DDV
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-wrench View Post
This is just an educated guess, but I would venture to say it is a fuel related problem. Unless you totaly drained & purger your fuel system, something has gone south in there. Could be in the lines, or the fuel pressure regulator could be contaminated with old hard varnish spots. I would try to fuel up with CHevron PREMIUM fuel & add some Redline fuel injector cleaner thru the car. Get a fresh fuel filter to change out after 3 tanks or so. Use a good premium fuel with fuel system cleaner & see what happens. If this doesn't do it, try another BMW dealer and keep a log of everything that happens so they have a better idea where to look.
Have to dig out my repair tickets but, I think the dealer inststalled a new pressure regulator. Thanks Darrell
Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
DDV
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromech View Post
Check the multiplug in front of the starter motor under the intake manifold. It twists apart, and BMW have issued a Tech Bulletin about corrosion inside the plug.
That may have promise. I have to do that this weekend. Sure hope that is the problem. Do you know what the Tech Bulletin says. Just take it apart clean and use electric grease on it i would guess? Darrell
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
samandy121
AF Newbie

I don't think it is the multiplug. It is something else.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series