Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #16
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

Don't care for the Kicker CVR? Have you heard them before or are you going by word of mouth? Anyone else support this? (I'm thinking on buying them that's why...) If you had to pick, which would it be... *Audiobahn AW1251T or Kicker CVR both the Audiobahns and Kickers are 12'.* Thanks.
as far as kicker goes, I would put the CVRs at the top for SQL, they aren't too bad

well regardless of whether or not a fully clipped 200 watt amp could blow the sub or not it would still sound like ass. and i thought that if the signal is bad enough it could blow voice coils regardless of whether or not the coils were actually being overpowered... i suppose im still new though so maybe i just heard wrong.
the only, and I mean only way to blow a sub is with too much power (ignoring stupid crap like sledge hammers and the like), either mechanically (bottoming it out) or thermally (melting the coil). You're right though, it would sound like ass

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Well, maybe he bought this one http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13768

Also, Pioneer makes some "subs in a box" that actually perform very well for what they are.

Yeah, asking what wattage without giving us some info is very hard to answer. My real basic rule of thumb is if you buy el cheapos like Sony, MTX and such, get one with more power than what the sub can handle but if getting a quality amp like Directed Audio, PPI, Orion, then you can go at or below what your sub is rated at. DON'T TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL!!!

I watched at the SEMA show where a guy had 2 25w speakers both in identical boxes. Both were hooked up to amps. One was a 10watt amp and the other was a 100watt amp. Both amps were connected to the same source. The 10w amp blew the sub in no time flat while the other one played fine. He was demonstrating the effects of distortion on a speaker.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

hahah ohh my god what the hell just happened..

my computer was being rediculous and i couldnt post.. so i did it a couple times and then again after adding the thing about Comp VRs.. anyways i obviously got it on here haha..

first, on the clipped signal thing.. ok.. point taken.. you learn somethin new every day.. i suppose i heard this from one of the "all knowing" audio shopes around here who dont know even as much as i do.. and ive only been liek really into this like 6 months..

and thanks SR20 for backin me up i went out on a limb there saying that somethin mainstream was actually decent.. haha just playin..

any kyle.. didnt mean to single you out but i couldnt see any posts except for yours i dont know whats up with AOL but it sucks.. so i couldnt single anyone else out haha.. but yeah if you do good shopping on ebay then its cool i was just saying i would rather have a 1 year (or 3 year) warranty and pay the extra 15% or whatever you end up saving..

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #19
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
Re: Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

For about 200 bucks more (American $) you could have gotten a set of Alpine Type X subs (12', 6000w peak/3000RMS)

Type X subs are only 3000 watts peak and 1000 rms
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9831
Speakers: 5.25 Sony's and 6x9 Pioneer's(Both of which need to be replaced so give me some suggestions)
Optima Yellowtop battery
Lanzar 5 farad Optifree capacitor
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #20
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Does wattage matter? (Amp Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoney28
For about 200 bucks more (American $) you could have gotten a set of Alpine Type X subs (12', 6000w peak/3000RMS)

Type X subs are only 3000 watts peak and 1000 rms
2000 watts RMS, sorry. =P Still pretty seksi nevertheless.
SKyleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #21
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Type X are crap, end of story. i will never own kicker, and only MTX if i get back into SPL drags. Pioneer has nothing decent as far as sub stage goes (or very much in car audio for htat matter).
Jesus why dont some of these Noobs read through our old posts before posting reccomending/complimenting woofers that are turtle feses compared to what most of us are accustomed to.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #22
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
Type X are crap, end of story. i will never own kicker, and only MTX if i get back into SPL drags. Pioneer has nothing decent as far as sub stage goes (or very much in car audio for htat matter).
Jesus why dont some of these Noobs read through our old posts before posting reccomending/complimenting woofers that are turtle feses compared to what most of us are accustomed to.
Yea you sounds like you know a lot. MTX sucks ass IMO, I know 2 friends that had MTX, both had thier subs blow. I'll never own one, btw everyones got thier opinion idiot, respect them or suht the f*ck up.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #23
CBFryman
Banned

and idiots uneducated opinion is subject to ridicule. MTX is a wonderful SPL only company. their 9500's are nearly about as loud as DD's 9500's and can be bought cheaper (if you know where to get them that cheap).
saying Kicker has good SQ is like saying audiobahn has good SQ. and both where said. there are only a select few woofers from Kicker that have decent SQL for mainstream. Little boy, you need to hear some of RE's SPL woofers. not only will they have better SQ than most of Kickers, audiobahns, and MTX's stuff but they will also blow w/e vehicle you own apart (as in extremely loud).
DD audio has the loudest 10's 12's and pretty sure 15's on the market (im positive about the 10's and 12's im not sure about the 15's).
Adire audio was the original company to use XBL^2 and they own the patent. but the agian you seem like the type of person that has never heard of XBL^2 and doesnt understand how JL's DL technoligy works and thinks that all woofers have a single magnetic feild motor deisgn. that or you dont know how a woofer works at all.
Before you try and flame, learn something about the material (and the person) you are flaming at/about.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #24
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
and idiots uneducated opinion is subject to ridicule. MTX is a wonderful SPL only company. their 9500's are nearly about as loud as DD's 9500's and can be bought cheaper (if you know where to get them that cheap).
saying Kicker has good SQ is like saying audiobahn has good SQ. and both where said. there are only a select few woofers from Kicker that have decent SQL for mainstream. Little boy, you need to hear some of RE's SPL woofers. not only will they have better SQ than most of Kickers, audiobahns, and MTX's stuff but they will also blow w/e vehicle you own apart (as in extremely loud).
DD audio has the loudest 10's 12's and pretty sure 15's on the market (im positive about the 10's and 12's im not sure about the 15's).
Adire audio was the original company to use XBL^2 and they own the patent. but the agian you seem like the type of person that has never heard of XBL^2 and doesnt understand how JL's DL technoligy works and thinks that all woofers have a single magnetic feild motor deisgn. that or you dont know how a woofer works at all.
Before you try and flame, learn something about the material (and the person) you are flaming at/about.

LMAO! I never said this you idiot. Quote me on it, I said "Which is better, Kicker CVR or Audiobahn ***?" You moron. Get your facts straight you tard.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #25
CBFryman
Banned

where did i say you said that? Dumbass, i said it was said in this thread, as i quote myself:
"saying Kicker has good SQ is like saying audiobahn has good SQ. and both where said."

Dont flatter yourself by thinking that everyone is pretaining to you. you decided to flame first, you started this, you where put in your place. you need to get some facts straight and learn how to read (along with learning a little bit about car audio).
Old 02-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #26
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like you were flaming first tard.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #27
CBFryman
Banned

first off, that wasnt a flame, it is a fact, ask anyone who actualy knows something worth knowing about car audio (excluding installers at you locla audio shop).
Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #28
SKyleS
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
first off, that wasnt a flame, it is a fact, ask anyone who actualy knows something worth knowing about car audio (excluding installers at you locla audio shop).

No, my point is.. you called me an idiot, which is a flame. I called you a name back, which is a flame. Either way, let's just drop, we are arguing about calling each other names which is pretty dumb on both of our parts...
Old 02-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #29
CBFryman
Banned

for the reccord, i didnt specifically call you an idiot.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #30
-Davo
Banned

ok guys, thanks for the reply's, this is sorta like my sub:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11292

Similar, but not the exact model

It came with an enclosure, I'll show you

Now I look at it, it might be the same model, and yeah, now I look at the prices, I did get ripped.

I was looking at a boss amp today that I'm thinking of getting, it's a 5 channel amp (I have 4 speekers, plus the amp), and it's a 1200w, it's almost the cheapest they have that I can get, but it's $299 AUD, is that good? I can't exactly get it much cheaper, I'm already getting a friend to get it down a lot more.
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio