Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitzen Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzen
Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

Yep. Well it isn't. Heres why...

-If it was, then don't you think some authority regulating pricing would investigate Honda for overcharging?

-The Evo and STi here in the UK is the same cost as a 330 BMW. Skyline? Same power, same cost of LS430 here. But it is not a con because it has better technology (engine, chassis) and interior. But if you think the NSX is, then you can say the Skyline is. But it isn't. NSX is also a good tech car.

-Low units raise costs because of diseconomies of scale.

-Aluminium body. F1 technology. This costs a lot of money in itself. Sometimes moreso then the actual worth incorporated into the car. Honda were the first to have F1 tech in their car, at 1990, so you can't say it would be available cheaply. This was a risk, and Honda need to spend money on contingency plans. Cost in itself.

-A company has to make profit on their vehicles, even if the cost is too high for customers. If you want something, you've got to pay for it.

-The NSX-R does the 1/4 mile in 10.8 secs - same power, 'nuff said. Now imagine if it had twins.

-So many costs are incorporated into a very low production exotic. Moreso then just component costs. Markup, admin costs, costs for transportation, SVA costs, tax, dealer markup, other markups.

-At least this car is reliable. A Ferrari isn't. Its proven in tests, when not even treated to its realistic limits.

-An NSX is well built, bettter than its competitors. You pay for this, and reliability.

-This is not a ricer's dream car. Customers come from a background of not having the mentality that "Yes I am a ricer, and my dream car would be this".

-The NSX was not designed to be tuned because it is fast enough, yet it is tunable. NSX-R doesn't need much tuning - look above.

-Want to blame someone for the 290hp? Blame emmissions and the Gentlemens agreement in Japan (that law is stupid - it effects sales, the Jap economy; which is bad enough as it is; and the competitive nature of the car).

But I can guarantee (sp?) you on one thing. That is that if Porsche and Ferrari had the same external constraints as Honda, then you wouldn't see a better car, regardless of Porsche's or Ferrari's resources - whether better or not.

-If you don't like the car because of any reason (price or not - probably price for you people), then don't buy it.

-Don't question people who buy it. It is their decision, and they may be looking for something other than just straight performance, and the NSX may deliver on that.

-There is more to a car then just HP. Handling, weight - they all matter.

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Oh yeah, and the NSX-R beat a Murcielago around a track by 2 seconds. Same driver, etc. Every factor was constant, if I remember correctly.

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

I know there are people here who do actually like the car.

Old 05-05-2003, 03:19 AM   #4
KrNxRaCer00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KrNxRaCer00 Send a message via Yahoo to KrNxRaCer00
::raises hand:: i love that car...an no, im notta ricer, but its a car out there that is jus...a car u want in the future (im 18 now), but yes...i do like that car, an i don't think it's over-priced at all when compared to other super cars.

99 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2000 Acura Integra Type R (sold)
1994 Acura Integra GSR (retired/sold)
KrNxRaCer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
NSX FoYoAss
AF Newbie

Talking

I like the NSX!!
Z
NSX FoYoAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
NSXN8
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to NSXN8
Blitzen,

Those are some very good points. In my opinion, the NSX is under priced. I agree with most of your comments, but where did you get your info on the NSX R? 1/4 in 10.8 seconds? The Maclaren F1 does it in 11.6; something isn't right here. But anyhow, thanks for sticking up for our beloved NSX!!!

-Nate
NSXN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #7
robh917
AF Newbie

I think the NSX is over priced, like all Acura's, but I'm still thinking of getting one. It's the closest I can get to an exotic. I'm only willing to spend $100K on my next car. I of course want a Murcielago but I don't see that happening. It's easy to understand why many people think the NSX is too expensive. It's difficult to spend $90K and settle for 290hp. For $90K, you expect to get at least 400hp. Blitzen said, "There is more to a car then just HP." That is true when you are talking about your average family car but this is a sports car, so it has to be compared to other sports cars in its price range. People buy sports cars mostly for how fast they move on the road. HP means nearly everything. For much less or the same, you can get 390-500hp through most other manufacturers. Unfortunately, I'm hooked on the look of the NSX, even though common sense tells me I should get a Viper. If I get an NSX, I have a feeling it will be a love/hate relationship.
robh917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #8
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Well, just remember. Honda sells the car for less than they make it.

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
LSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LSR
I actually misread the data; the car does the quarter in about 12. Still, I think that more power IS needed. And I'm aware that Honda sell cars for less than they make it, but not very less and not on all cars
LSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:02 PM   #10
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
Quote:
Originally posted by LSR
I actually misread the data; the car does the quarter in about 12. Still, I think that more power IS needed. And I'm aware that Honda sell cars for less than they make it, but not very less and not on all cars
Oh, I was referring to the NSX & S2000; perhaps there are more..

NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #11
nefarious79
AF Newbie

hey but you can't just look at the horsepower rating. 1. where in the power curve does it have 290hp. 2. Honda could have understated to lower tax or whatnot. I don't think that hp would be that much of an issue if you had that much money, you'd probably get a Z for 60k cheaper if you were looking for that power. Personally I love the NSX.
nefarious79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:25 PM   #12
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

So I gotta ask... the NSX is underpowered (in terms of Horsepower) for its class as an exotic, and that is the reason its over priced? Weak.

Sometimes I wonder how other people cant see what the NSX truely is, when they are blinded by the name ferrari and lamborghini.

Honestly, if someone offered me a ferrari enzo for free, i take it in a heartbeat, sell it, and buy a f***ing NSX with the same 650hp (after a nice qball of FI of course), and then buy that house in alaska Ive always wanted... but hey why do we even argue with these people anymore?

I think the fact that NSX fanatics are so few and far between is a GOOD thing. How often do you see them on the road? and when you do are they modded? and if so how modded are they?

I think youll find the answers to those three questions are seldom, seldom, seldom. And i gotta say that as a honda enthusiat in general, you have already decided to drive the car that YOU want, and not be influenced by todays ricer insults, and so inadvertently you drive an NSX, as the car you want, and the car few people have anything to say about, know anything about, modify, and i mean hell the list goes on in originality.

let them trash the NSX, that means less people to buy one and deface it with trendy garbage. The NSX is the diamond in the rough, and in my humble opinion, it wouldnt be AS valuable if everyone wanted one... thanks, ill take the route less traveled.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:28 AM   #13
DensoSupra
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DensoSupra
Re: Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzen
-If it was, then don't you think some authority regulating pricing would investigate Honda for overcharging?
I don't know how it is in London but bloody hell, in America, a business could charge $8.4 million for a toothpick if they wanted to. Anyway...who's to say the NSX is overpriced? It's an unbelievable car. They were just assholes enough to stick to the 280bhp agreement. Honda could've easily given us a 450HP V8. Hell...look at the f20c, 120bhp/liter. Even though the new NSX's only have 290HP, they're faster then a 385bhp(?) Ferrari F355 and they handle better too from what I've read.
DensoSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #14
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

blitzen where u get that time for the nsx-r? please don't exaggerate, i don't see a 290hp car doing 10's. the mclaren f1, the fastest stock car made runs 11's and it has twice the power not to mention its 100lbs lighter. the nsx-r should be running lo 13's to maybe if lucky high 12's. to get into the 10's, it needs atleast 600 or more hp required from f/i. sorry to wake u up from ur wet dream, but someone has too. don't get me wrong, i love the nsx also. what ur stating is impossible even for honda, unless of course the nsx-r weighs next to nothing, which it doesn't.

Last edited by tran_nsx; 09-14-2003 at 01:11 PM.
tran_nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:27 PM   #15
DensoSupra
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DensoSupra
Re: Think the current NSX is too expensive? Read this.

[quote=Blitzen]Yep. Well it isn't. Heres why...

-The NSX-R does the 1/4 mile in 10.8 secs - same power, 'nuff said. Now imagine if it had twins. QUOTE]

1) You mean you Brits don't have a free market economy?

2) The NSX-R does NOT do a 10.8 second 1/4 mile. It does a low 12.8 with a good driver. It can be tuned to run 10s but it sure as hell doesn't do it stock.

Great car...well worth the money.

93 NSX - $25,000

JDM C32B rear clip- $8,000.

Doesn't sound bad to me at all.
...../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.\.................\/..../
DensoSupra is offline   Reply With Quote