Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > CL
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #16
Carrera GT
AF Newbie

Re: CL65, what's the point??

I've read that in the future they'll bring out a new version of the CL65 with the 7G-Tronic gearbox. As it now stands the CL65's engine gives out 617 bhp, but with the new seven speed its said to be able to give out 700bhp.

MB said that one of the reasons for making the 65 was customer demand but also having such a powerful car is a very big status symbol and shows just what the company is capable of.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:18 PM   #17
mastafred
AF Newbie

the point is Benz is so much ahead of everyone else that they shouldnt even try to make something to out run them
mastafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
MB tech
AF Newbie

NO the 65 AMG will not replace the 55 Because let's face it not everyone will be able to afford or want the power of a 65. And believe it or not some people do take these cars to the track every now and then where it's legal and safe to complety open these cars up. And by the way for all you heavy footed driver's. I've worked on several cars from the body shop from people who think they can handle a car with this much power but were proven wrong. So PLEASE drive reasonable and keep other people in mind.
MB tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #19
TheScientist
Banned

Dude, why you getting so pissed? The CL65 was INTENDED to replace teh CL55 at the time the spy info was released. But they recently changed the plans, and along side the CL65 AMg, will be th S65 AMG, replacing Europe's S63 AMG, but it's being sold in US too. the S65 will feature the same options as the CL65.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:55 AM   #20
ell_d
Banned

The 55 and 65 will be sold along side one another. It’s only like selling the C180K and the C200K. There is a difference in price.
AMG will launch the 69 V12 bi-turbo late next year, but it will not stop the production of the 55/65. Although i appreciate that these are expensive cars, a bottom spec SL55 AMG sells for £92'370 over here, but the base spec SL69 AMG is expected to cots upwards of £140'000... and lets face it, £50K is a substantial amount to all but the richest of people.
I could well have afforded an S65 AMG, but chose a 55 because it gave me more cash to spend on in-car toys, and with my SL65 on the way, my S55 is fine for travelling too and from work. It is true that i do enjoy the feeling of speed but there is a time and a place, and while the 55 is massively capable, i rarely floor it. My new SL is going to replace a much-loved Porsche 911 Turbo, a car in which i have had many a good experience. Having said this, after 2 years, i have only clocked 26'950 miles, where as the S class already has 34'000 and its only 9 months old!
These high power mercs, and other cars for that matter can serve well as a day to day car, but it makes my week travel considerably faster, when i think that come the weekend, me and my wife can go for a blast, in my favourite toy, on a warm Saturday evening.
ell_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #21
dannyboy29
AF Newbie

Hi everyone, I found this place doing a search on CL65. Hope you don't mind me giving my two pence worth, but I think the CL65 is a cool bit of kit. (and no I'm not a fanboy, it's the first Merc which has really caught my eye).

Anyway, I think asking 'what's the point' is daft. It's like asking the point of the space shuttle or the Olympics. The human race would happily continue to survive without either, but nevertheless both are pretty cool, as long as you turn a blind eye to the economics.

Furthermore, the CL65 was borne out of the arms race brewing between the German heavyweights for the last few years which, as already stated above, is basically a prestige issue. I'm sure even Daimler-Benz, Audi and BMW wouldn't really deny that.

As long as people can afford these cars, they'll be built.....simple as that
dannyboy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #22
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

I have had the pleasure of driving the CL65, and its astonishing. I have also just taken delivery of my very own SL65 AMG.

I keep hearing this, "what is the point?", well, as an owner and a long term fan of the SL i can tell you that it is a dream come true.

I am driving a future museum piece. It will be a collectors item before long, and who knows, may be I mite be able to make a profit on it if I keep it for the same time I have had my 300SL gullwing...

Furthermore, the 65 is not replacing the 55. and the 65 with the 7G tronic will be called the 69 AMG and will have 1001nm of tourque. The point of the 65 is, that I can overtake 7 cars traveling at 60 mph in my car, in the time it would take an average car to overtake one. I cant wait to experience the SL69AMG
finally_retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #23
993cc Man
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally_retired
I have had the pleasure of driving the CL65, and its astonishing. I have also just taken delivery of my very own SL65 AMG.

I keep hearing this, "what is the point?", well, as an owner and a long term fan of the SL i can tell you that it is a dream come true.

I am driving a future museum piece. It will be a collectors item before long, and who knows, may be I mite be able to make a profit on it if I keep it for the same time I have had my 300SL gullwing...

Furthermore, the 65 is not replacing the 55. and the 65 with the 7G tronic will be called the 69 AMG and will have 1001nm of tourque. The point of the 65 is, that I can overtake 7 cars traveling at 60 mph in my car, in the time it would take an average car to overtake one. I cant wait to experience the SL69AMG

Man, you had a gullwing , well if you still come around here tell us about it and the reason why you sold it....
993cc Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
finally_retired
AF Enthusiast

I havn't sold it. I still have it. I may have confused you with my use of tenses, but I still have the gullwing, and have had it valued at over 3 times the value that I paid for it.

I will not sell it, I'll leave it to one of my sons, and let them decide what to do with it. It would break my heart to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjoob
Can anybody advise me on how to watch TV while driving in a BMW 750il 1999?
finally_retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #25
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

why ? because mercedes can put a 6.5litre twin turbo V-12 in a CL and know that people would buy one, if i had the money i would go straight out and buy one. i love the CL, and one with something like a 3.5 litre engine is underpowered from the weight, with 600bhp you get ferrari-beating performance with an uber-luxurious interior an truth be told, i absolutely love the CL65.