Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Andrew7dg
AF Newbie

Stalling and not starting

I have a Caravan that is doing some crazy things.

Lately its been having starting issues. First when you turn the key it wouldn't turn over at all. It was like the starter wasn't even there. I looked at the small wire on the starter and noticed that it was pretty oily. I cleaned it off and put the small wire back on and started up just fine.

Here is where it gets weird...

On the way back we were driving and it stalled out and would turn over but not fire. I thought it ran out of gas because the gas gauge was bad. Put some gas in it and still didn't fire over. Sat there with the hood up scratching my head didn't know what to do... after 5 minutes tried again and it started up. Drove it home and it was running fine but while driving home it seemed like the car shut off on me and turned back on again while we were moving. Gauges flickered and as it was moving it started up again. It did this about 3-4 times but we got it home. It seems like electrical...

Ignition switch or alternator??.... I don't know whats going on

Got it home and not it turns over but doesn't start.
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Stalling and not starting

What model year and engine? Are you seeing a service engine light? Either way, I would make my way to the closest Autozone and have them check error codes using a scanner. It's free.

Before you do anything make sure the battery is fully charged and all battery and starter connections are clean and tight. Same for the chasey and engine ground connections. The computers on these vans are sensitive to low voltage and voltage fluctuations. Strange things can happen if all is not well.

First thought would be a crankshaft or camshaft sensor for the stalling and no starts. Are you sure the engine was cutting off while rolling or could it have been the transmission was shifting erratically? If it's the later the output speed sensor would be my second thought. It is used to schedule transmission shifts and is the signal source for the speedometer.

Which gauges were "flickering" and what do you mean by "flickering"? When in the fail mode, smack the top of the dash a few times. If the gauges come to life and/or it starts, you may have a bad solder joint on the instrument cluster circuit board or it's connector. That seems to be becoming more and more common. You can test the gauges by simultaneously pushing the trip odometer and reset buttons. They should cycle a couple times indicating the instrument themselves are working.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Andrew7dg
AF Newbie

Sorry I should have stated that in the beginning

3.3L Automatic

It is not the check engine light that is coming on, it is almost all of the lights. Then the speedometer and tach go to the bottom then to the top and back where they should be. Almost like the car reseted itself.

That what makes me believe it is engine related. We were just driving engine quits. push the throttle... no responce (like the engine died)... and then the engine would fire back up again (I am guessing because we were still rolling and the transmission started it up again)

I didn't know autozone had a service like that. I would take the car there however I don't know it will make it. Isn't there a trick of turning the key 3 times or something? I will also try hitting the reset button
Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Andrew7dg
AF Newbie

Figured it out... well luck actually....

I was looking around in the engine bay for fuses or something and bumped into some wires. Something clicked in the engine bay and I got into the van and started right up. So it is a short somewhere in that bundle. Easy and cheap fix!!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager